Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Antes Fort , Pennsylvania
Awning lock won't reach

Forgive my lack of correct terminology. I tried to research this problem on the forums and couldn't find it. The rear awning wheel lock is shifted to the right or the awing axle is shifted to the left. In either case I can't use the lock because it won't reach the slot it is supposed to go into before the wheel is turned. The front awning lock is ok. I had this problem before and others so I left it at the dealer to fix them and he did. I did not ask how it was fixed but there must be a way to do it. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	174.5 KB
ID:	343211  
alphamale49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 10:14 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Get up on a stool or stepladder and hit it with some silicon lube. Then take a short break while it works its way in. Finally use your hand to try and loosen the wheel. Wiggle it a bit too.
Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Trying to move the arm toward the lock or vice versa is a great idea too. The hand is mightier than the tool.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Your awning may not be rolling up straight causing the arm to move.
I had the same problem...the rear arm was not plumb, I had to move the lower mount forward about 3"...problem solved.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_1e0b.jpeg
Views:	66
Size:	237.0 KB
ID:	343222  
Old 06-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Monona , Wisconsin
Happened to me

The entire awning is connected to your airstream with a approximate 5/16" diameter "C" channel. Your entire awning has slid back some small distance. From a ladder you will be able to see the channel and how the awning attaches to your unit. Slide the entire awning about a inch forward within the "C" channel and see if that is enough to allow the thumb screws to secure the awning once again. To move the awning all tie-down thumb screws and laches will have to be loosened. ZipDee installation instructions shows a machine screw being pre-drilled and installed through the "C" channel to hold the awning from moving. I would bet your "hold in place screw" has vibrated out and is not there. Be sure to check to see if the "hold in place screw" is still there before trying to move awning. If it is indeed there remove before trying to moving awning.

Good Luck
Greg
Wisconsin
gdanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:13 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Thurmont , Maryland
When I had this happen, I unrolled the awning, had someone apply gentle pressure on the arm to push it toward the lock while letting the awning roll slowly back up. It worked.
badagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Kensington , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by badagle View Post
When I had this happen, I unrolled the awning, had someone apply gentle pressure on the arm to push it toward the lock while letting the awning roll slowly back up. It worked.
Ding ding ding. That's worked for me.
Too tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Does it then line up on subsequent closings? I think sliding the awning in the rail to the correct place is a more permanent solution.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Huntsville , Alabama
I think Greg has it right. Mine did the same and I slid the awning as he said. Been okay every since.
Streamracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:44 PM   #10
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
And the pressure was needed because? 🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-14-2019, 06:09 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Thurmont , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
And the pressure was needed because? 🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
It seemed to keep the awning winding up straight. It worked and didn't happen again.
badagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 07:46 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdanderson View Post
The entire awning is connected to your airstream with a approximate 5/16" diameter "C" channel. Your entire awning has slid back some small distance. From a ladder you will be able to see the channel and how the awning attaches to your unit. Slide the entire awning about a inch forward within the "C" channel and see if that is enough to allow the thumb screws to secure the awning once again. To move the awning all tie-down thumb screws and laches will have to be loosened. ZipDee installation instructions shows a machine screw being pre-drilled and installed through the "C" channel to hold the awning from moving. I would bet your "hold in place screw" has vibrated out and is not there. Be sure to check to see if the "hold in place screw" is still there before trying to move awning. If it is indeed there remove before trying to moving awning.

Good Luck
Greg
Wisconsin
Greg, a huge bingo. i thought my awning creep ( and the turnbuckles not seating correctly) was a senior rolling it up moment. Bob, thanks too. I'll grab the level and check for plumb at the bars just to confirm.

Page 4 of the attached.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: pdf zipdeeinstructions.pdf (239.2 KB, 30 views)
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #13
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
My DW is the one who lit my lightbulb.🥴

She had mentioned how similar the ZipDee was to a roll-up window shade that was retracting cock-eyed.
I finally realized that even though you could force the awning to roll up pretty straight by using the deployment strap that pressure moved the arm away from the wheel.
That's when I got out the tape measure & plumb line, the effective length of the rear arm was about 3" too short.🤔

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 06-26-2019, 09:27 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
High Point , North Carolina
This happened to ours and I found that once the awning is up, it's sometimes necessary to pull the pin again on the cam locking spring bar. The one you pull on top to put tension on the awning. Sometimes, I've found that even though I've pulled it to release the tension when putting it up, once the awning is fully rolled up and the spring bar is vertical against the camper, there's still some tension on it. I pull the pin, release the remaining tension and it moves into place for the wheel lock. Hope this helps!
Rfriebele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 11:09 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Appleton , Wisconsin
I am a petite 5’2” and wrangling the ZipDee awning by myself is quite a challenge, offers observers a laugh or two, and results in me cussing and being useless for the rest of the day by the time it’s even partially unrolled. I have considered even selling the AS because of that awning. I’m going to have to start carrying an extension ladder with me as lugging the park’s picnic table close to the side of the AS to reach the awning wheel locks just doesn’t cut it. I won’t sell it though because I love my 20’. All ya’ll have given me some great tips to try when I try to use it again.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:11 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
I did pull the pin again, and I unloosened the wheel all the way so the lock shaft could clear. I don't know which of those or both helped but it is fixed now. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2019, 02:12 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' International
Currently Looking...
Thanks! All is well.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:19 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darby Mc View Post
I am a petite 5’2” and wrangling the ZipDee awning by myself is quite a challenge, offers observers a laugh or two, and results in me cussing and being useless for the rest of the day by the time it’s even partially unrolled. I have considered even selling the AS because of that awning. I’m going to have to start carrying an extension ladder with me as lugging the park’s picnic table close to the side of the AS to reach the awning wheel locks just doesn’t cut it. I won’t sell it though because I love my 20’. All ya’ll have given me some great tips to try when I try to use it again.
Purchase a 2 step plastic stool that folds flat and snaps open and snaps closed. They are very sturdy and when folded aprox. less than 2 in. thick. I believe I pur. mine on Amazon. The wand provided IMO only good to grab pull strap & release hook if you have plus slip from wheel lock nice big scratch on AS. Using stool enables to tighten wheel more than wand.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:03 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdanderson View Post

Good Luck
Greg
Wisconsin
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...ch-196851.html

FWIW, this is from a recent turnbuckle thread. Gdanderson points to the channel and the possibility of the awning creeping towards the rear. I haven't been up on a ladder (now a required 2 person event) to check out my setscrew for evidence of movement. Our rear turnbuckle also comes up a little short of late and like Mollysdad...kinda have to horse it to make the connection. I'll also check out my angles described in this thread.

I posted on #12 some Zipdee instructions. Can't remember if it was on forums or their website. Step 10 page 4
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote