Old 12-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
Awning Damage in Michigan

I was camping in the spring a few years ago in northern MI. My wife and I went for a drive and were gone for about an hour and half.It rained some while we were gone. I had left the Awning up.It was bowed in like a bath tub when we got back to the campground. It ruined the fabric all streched out but not the arms.It must of had 50-60 gallons of water.I eventually replaced the awning . It was pretty expensive.It was an A&E awning, Now I always till or slant it. Live and you better learn . Jim Anderson

mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
UnSupervised ZIP DEE

Jack RV
I had Miss Kitty setup here at home with the Zip Dee out and the table and chairs and Grill , We had supper outside that evening. Being a ROOKIE not knowing I came inside the house to watch the big screen.
When I realized what was happening it was already to late, as I poped around the corner the Zip Dee became a giant sail and over the trailer it went. I managed to catch the flailing strap with a hook I have and wrestled the Zip Dee into submission and luckily I was able to get it to roll.
The next mornin I found one of the support arms torn off the trailer and 10 feet on the other side of the trailer. I had to pull all the brackets and redrill all the holes and remount everything.
LESSON LEARNED Zip Dee's are never allow out without adult supervision.
We do roll em at night and when we are going to be away from the trailer.
They are just to expensive to replace.

Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 07:01 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member
1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
The key, according to the Zip Dee site, is to keep the awning at a sloped angle, do NOT open it level. To quote their site, yes that means the door will rub against it. It also means rain will run off.

Not a bad idea to take it in at night, but not necessary if it is properly opened. Not a bad idea to secure it with guy wires either.
78GussyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #18
Rivet Master
2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
We had to get a new arm as it was slightly bent after filling with rain before we caught sight of the burgening fabric several years ago with our first Airstream. Zip Dee sent one out right away and it was not a difficult replacement and they gave directions. However it was not a waranty condition so it was at our own expense. The woman also sold me some assist handles for the arms that help me (short person) get leverage to raise the awning to full height myself. They install easily with a wrap around and screw to tighten and stay on all the time. They are small and velcro flat against the arm and are not expensive and very helpful.

We also had a pop-up awning that filled with rain and the weight bent and broke the arm and sent it crashing into the door and we replaced the door as well.

We don't leave the awnings out when we are leaving or over night. They are too easy to roll up and down, and not worth the risk. Once you get the hang of it, one person can do it alone in minutes, alternating sides.

We've seen gusts come up out of no where and send awnings over the tops, or rip the arms off and hang in front of the trailer to the ground, we have even seen water begin to pool with a slight lowering of one side, so now two notches down for me if I use it in the rain on occassion.

At the Bozeman rally the wind picked up every afternoon so it was up and down every day sometimes twice a day. One day we all went scrambling to get everyone's awning down and still saw a ruined one another day in another section.

As the other posters mentioned, it does seem to storm at night sending you out to reel in the awning, my preference is to once and done it when I'm dressed and going in for the night. Then you can stay in bed enjoying the sounds of the rain instead of worrying.

wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:52 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member
2005 28' International CCD
Northridge , California
Originally Posted by JackRV View Post
Over the Thanksgiving holiday we were camping in San Clemente, CA
There's no truth to the song "It never rains in CA". About 1:30 a.m. on Thanksgiving day it rained. Minutes later we heard and felt a crash and it was the awning on our 28' CCD. One of the support arms broke in two and the other bent causing us to be unable to open the door until help arrived some 8 hours later.
I contacted ZipDee who advised me that the awning should not have been out in the rain and that in fact I should put the awning in every night.
It takes two of us to put the awning out and two of us to put it back in the closed position.
No one else in the campground had a problem, just us with the flimsy support arms on our trailer. When I was able to get out I checked and everyone else had their awning out and none were damaged by the rain - there was no wind.
Does anyone put there awning in every night as suggested to me today by Linda Johnson Zip Dee Customer Service Manager? Has anyone had any good experiences or bad experiences in dealing with ZipDee.
Thanks to everyone for your responses and messages. I was suprised to learn that so many had experienced similar problems.

JackRV is offline   Reply With Quote