Old 06-03-2007, 12:10 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
awning doesn't roll up, spring ?

Awning does not roll up spring not rolling awning up .
Then went to roll down an other awning and there was a snap and spring let lose ?
Also need new fabric ?
Thanks John

Old 06-03-2007, 12:19 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums.

If your awning is made by ZipDee, I would contact them. They offer great customer support. Awnings By ZipDee

On the one that will not roll up, check that the break (if it has one) is not engaged. You could also try and adjust the preload on the springs, that would tell you for sure if the spring is broken. Proceedures for this are on the website.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:37 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Yes its a Zip Dee , no it does not have the locks , I have already checked for the spring tension , I've been doing my own repairs most of my life , I'm not ready to have others do them , or the cost nowdays .
So I'm looking for info to fix , I've got exploded views from Zip Dee's site , but like to here from those that have been into something that I haven't done yet , tips/tricks , such as trying to deal with taking apart some thing this long [ about 20' ] & hanging over head - setting up a shelf to slide tube / fabric back & forth .
Old 06-03-2007, 12:51 PM   #4
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
John,
The easiest way I have found to work on the awning is as follows.

1. Remove the tension from the roller (opps, I think thats done)
2. Remove the screws and slide out the aluminum segment that attaches to the rail on the trailer.
3, lower the roll to the ground while attached to the arms. This requires 2 or more people.
4. Remove roll from arms / heads.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roll.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	38503  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 01:14 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Have you been inside of the roll / spring ass. ?
If there is a typical failure with the spring ?
Would like to do this in a one time/day , confirm whats wrong , get parts before disasembly , It seems that new projects can get torn down set aside , then lose parts what ever , be a real pain to get back together , if turned into a multi day project / wk. / mth.
Thanks again John
Old 06-03-2007, 03:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
It's just a giant window shade. Probably ought to spring for a new spring though.

The canvas is riveted onto the spool. I replaced the rivets with riv-nuts and used 8/32 truss-head screws and nylon washers to reattach the fabric

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 08:58 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
st. Paul , mn
Thanks folks , but I do not seem to be getting a direct respounce to the internal spring issue of not rolling up .
I was wondering if there may be a catch for the spring that fails , or some thing simple , but would like to have an idea before I take apart , I'm a full timer , do not have storage avalible ,
I have had a few projects that I started & as a result of the lack of info , parts ect. , they got tossed .
Old 06-04-2007, 10:28 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
hi- the zip-dees just wind up to get the spring tension, so maybe yours just needs that. On mine, it was the end towards the rear of the trailer that did the winding. Just remove most of the arm so there's only the short piece attached to the roller and start winding. Hopefully, it's that easy for you.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:34 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTF
Have you been inside of the roll / spring ass. ?
If there is a typical failure with the spring ?
Would like to do this in a one time/day , confirm whats wrong , get parts before disasembly , It seems that new projects can get torn down set aside , then lose parts what ever , be a real pain to get back together , if turned into a multi day project / wk. / mth.
Thanks again John
Well, John, it seems to me that you have two choices:

Either you look at the diagram and talk to Zipdee and try to figure out what's likely to be wrong and then order parts based on that assumption. When you have the parts, you take it apart and hope you have what you need.

Or, you take it apart, determine which parts you need, and then put it back together until you get the parts.

Good luck.

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 06:34 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
The dreaded snap

John,
Hate to say this but the snap tells me that your spring broke. With the help of a bud or two you can replace the spring. You don't have to remove the awning to do this. The rear arm is where you can pull the broken spring out. The new spring can be attached after it's inserted back into the roller. Here's where it get tricky and very touchy. A general rule of thumb here is to VERY CAREFULLY wind the short arm one wind for each foot of the awning plus three to five more. If the short arm gets away from you it will eat your lunch and dinner. I've replaced ours about four years ago. Wasn't able to get all the old spring out but have had no problem yet. Good luck and be very careful during the rewind.

Hey, the bud or two was not the liquid kind. Save that for when the job is done.
Old 10-24-2007, 07:11 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1992 34' Excella
Punta Gorda, , Florida
Hey, I'm no expert but I did sleep in an Airstream last night. It's also raining and I can't go outside and play so I'm posting my butt off.
Old 10-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
My awning would not roll up at all. I had difficulty getting it down, but had to manually roll it up. It was during the first outing after the winter. I thought the spring broke. I removed the spring and it was terribly rusted. I dowsed it with WD-40 and using a rag on a pole like a pipe cleaner, cleaned it up as best I could inside and out. ZipDee told me how many turns of tension to apply based on my model. Worked like a charm.

peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote