Old 05-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons
We have a brand new Zip Dee on ours and love it. Inland Andy new exactly what size and hardware we needed with just our serial number. Installed in an hour or so and would have gone faster but I was really care (and nervous) about drilling holes in the skin. (measure 30 times drill once)
I've followed your thread and was really impressed with how great yours looked installed. You did a fantastic job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
My idea has the added advantage of not having to find a spot to stow the awning when not in use, it just rolls up.
Yes, I know some people might not like the way the roll-up awnings affect the lines of the trailer, but I don't mind at all, and in fact I think it looks pretty cool. Obviously a matter of personal opinion on aesthetics.

utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 10:21 PM   #16
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
Does anybody have a photo of a zipdee on a 60s model trailer?.
yep and i'll post it when i've got time and a faster connection.

it looks fine, the z-d takes 2 minutes to open and is wind or rain worthy,

while the cool vintage style are slow to put up and wimpy in rain or wind.

awnings are neat and really expand the camping experience

but awnings DO NOT significantly protect those underneath from ultra violet light.

wear sunscreen during the day and a hat and light long sleeved garments with hi sun protection factors.

and IF ya wanna try something different that is euro cool...

these folks make a very low profile retractable awning that is barely noticed when closed,

and uses folding side arms that do NOT hand down along the trailer...

Fiamma Awnings

also check their canadian and euro websites.

cheers
2air'a

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Does your trailer have any of the old awning on it? Did it ever have an awning? I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but you may be able to piece together all the hardware for an awning, and get new fabric for it.
The older trailers had a slightly different roof contour, but pretty much any awning from a pre-1969 unit would fit, and you could cut down the tube to proper length. I know I make it sound easy, but it's not horribly tough.
Terry has a good point, it shouldn't be that hard to get an awning together. If you can find a set of good arms, all of the other stuff (especially an A&E) is easy to get. Last night we ordered a new re-cover fabric from Interwest Sports. The local RV shop let my order fall though the cracks, so I decided to tackle the job myself. Our existing hardware was, for the most part, in good shape (it's an A&E 8500). I had to replace some minor hardware (nutserts and knobs) and do a bit of cleaning, but it wasn't a big deal. I got the UPS notification today that our new fabric should be here on Friday!

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
I have the awning off of my grandparents vintage trailer from many years ago. It is still in excellent shape. My neighbor lady is an "industrial sewer" or some sort and we are re-making the awning to fit Aunt Bee. I am getting the poles from Cabella's and have to figure out yet where the ropes will come from.

I will post pics of the process when we get it completed.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
not knowing any better

I purchased a "vintage" awning for the camper. My buddy with the same model and year has a zip dee. His takes a couple of minutes to set up and take down (when it hasn't been bent up by the wind). My vintage awning takes about 10-15 minutes to set up and about the same to take down. The vintage awning fares better in the wind because it just falls down and is easily set back up after the wind subsides. My friends zip dee doesn't do as well in the wind. The vintage awning is bigger and has a lot of adjustment for rain runoff and the like. I have some concrete weights I use to anchor the ropes that hold up the tent poles rather than something you pound into the ground. Works everywhere.

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:25 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by centennialman
I have the awning off of my grandparents vintage trailer from many years ago. It is still in excellent shape. My neighbor lady is an "industrial sewer" or some sort and we are re-making the awning to fit Aunt Bee. I am getting the poles from Cabella's and have to figure out yet where the ropes will come from.

I will post pics of the process when we get it completed.
We used 3/8" Braided Nylon line from Home Depot for the ropes and found some very durable plastic rope tensioners from REI, that work very well and are not very expensive. Additionally, the steel stakes to anchor the awning came from Cabelas when we purchased the poles and feet.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
LHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhall
We used 3/8" Braided Nylon line from Home Depot for the ropes and found some very durable plastic rope tensioners from REI, that work very well and are not very expensive. Additionally, the steel stakes to anchor the awning came from Cabelas when we purchased the poles and feet.

We use the same tensioners ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 09:36 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
We have been very pleased with our "home made" awning and it has served us well in rain, snow and high winds with little problem. We prefer the look of the pole awning over the roll out type. We are planning to make some matching side panels for the ends since we have the rail already attached to our AS.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...own-36293.html

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 05-29-2008, 09:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
If you get an awning that takes too much time and/or effort to set up, you will not use it nearly as much as one that rolls up. You will get the "we're only here for one night" attitude.
If you get one that rolls and unrolls easily, you will use it when you make a lunch stop.
You are only buying one, not buying for a fleet. Treat yourself to an A&E by Dometic. An Airstream friend just had one put on his '68 Caravel and loves it. Two or three minutes up, two or three minutes down. He has very bad shoulders and can not raise his arms above his shoulders, and can and does put the A&E up and down by himself.

True story.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:22 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
A new ZipDee on our '59 Traveler

Last May we bought a new zip dee for our unit. The bars came bent to match the curve and we installed it easily in one afternoon. We love using it and get it out much more than the pole type we had before. I think it looks pretty slick even on the oldies.

Katie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	61240  
Old 05-29-2008, 01:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Both the Zip Dee and A&E have framework at the top that keeps the awning extended so that you can move the main bars out away from the trailer and anchor them to the ground, giving you open area next to the trailer rather than having to walk around the support every time you exit your trailer.

The A&A has a release, and "feet" at the bottom of the supports made for this purpose. The Zip Dee does not. You must replace the bolts with removable pins and buy or make "feet" to attach the arms to the ground.
Old 05-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by r&kweber
Last May we bought a new zip dee for our unit. The bars came bent to match the curve and we installed it easily in one afternoon. We love using it and get it out much more than the pole type we had before. I think it looks pretty slick even on the oldies.

Katie
That looks great! I like the color you chose.

Air #22673
WBCCI# 2731
Four Corners Unit
Old 05-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1972 Argosy 20
1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1979 30' Argosy
Grand Junction , Colorado
Awning

FWIW, I have installed a Zip Dee patio awning on a 6 metre Minuet, replacing a Carefree which I removed. The Minuet is smaller than regular post 69 Airstream/Argosy trailers. It fit perfectly and the install was less than an hour w the help of a friend. Works fantastic, too.
Same w a ZipDee on a 20 Argosy (slightly bigger) easy to install and easy to operate.
On Tuesday, installed Zip Dee window awnings (including a 21'9" one) on a 34' Excella that I was selling. Took about 3 hours, much of that time installing the track and much drilling and riveting.
Have had several Carefree awnings (all older models) and they were difficult to operate. Bolts and other hardware tended to corrode or even rust.
Also, Zip Dee has a great customer support department which allows you to speak to a real person. You may not need this feature as their instruction sheet is thorough and easy to understand.
Old 05-30-2008, 09:58 AM   #28
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Thanks so much, everyone for your input and personal stories! Especially to R&KWeber for the photo of a Zip Dee on their trailer.

Several factors are leading me to the decision of going with TC&TA industries, just like Shari... customer service: Tonya e-mailed back right away with info and questions, and four e-mails later I had a firm quote including shipping, advice on how far out the awning should extend and a recommendation on piping to match... An RV dealer who shall remain unnamed didn't answer e-mail or a respond to a telephone call about a Zip Dee. I had to call the ZD folks themselves before finally getting a price.

Wind: Wyoming really is windy. I like the idea of the awning just falling down instead of getting damaged. Those concrete weights sound like a great idea, especially for rocky campsites. I just wonder about the weight of hauling them around, with gas prices and all.

Jim Foster: I totally know what you mean about "we're only here for one night." It's my goal to always spend two nights in a place to make it worth deploying the awning, chairs, flamingos, etc. Because I don't get a lot of vacay time, I camp a lot in my region and try to stay for the weekend.

Angle: I like how the rope and pole awnings stand straight out, rather than sloped down (likely with a pole in the way. More coverage for rain, shade, etc. at high noon.

Scavenged: I would love to find the arms, mechanism etc. and scavenge a ZD for reasonable cost, but I'm in such an out-of-the-way locale that it would be hard, and take a long time. I want an awning soon!

Cost: New Zip Dee was quoted to me, with freight because of my remote location, at $1,729. That's without installation, which I'd want to pay my AS guy about $200 to install. Totaled, that's more than three times (almost four) the cost of the custom color (NOBODY else will have Stella's awning!), sewn with love, vintage-style rope and pole from TC&TA: $522.75, including shipping. And it will be here in two weeks! SO much more satisfying than waiting six weeks for a stock color from VTS (love those guys anyway).

And my magazine check was only $350 for two one-page articles, so it's not like I had THAT much money to burn. Stella still needs plumbing, which could completely be redone for the ZD$.

I will totally consider upgrading to an automatic awning in the future, but with Junior on the way I need to be a little more fiscally conscious. I totally thought about the ZD, but it's just not gonna happen this year. Other priorities.

I can't wait!