Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Awning Clips

My daughter got me a very tasteful Christmas gift in the form of a string of pink flamingo lights for the Bambi.

How do I hang them? What are the best clips to use which won't damage the awning?

Can anyone tell me which are the best clips for awning lights on the Airstream? My daughter's tasteful Christmas gift of pink flamingo trailer lights need to be hung but I don't want to destroy or damage the awning. Any suggestions?
Kathleenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
See if you have an extra track similar to awning track on roller, you can slide tabs into track and hang anything from the grommet built into the tab, cw should have what you need.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Kathleen,

How goes it with the "Tasteful Flamingo Lights"? As Dave mentioned there are several clip types that will fit most awning systems, and I've seen some sets that come with clips.

Here are a couple from CW. But your local Wally World or RV Dealer may have something as well.

Worldwide Merchandise Company - Awning Hooks - Awning Accessories - Camping World

Jet3 Products Inc - Awning Rope Light Hooks, 10-pack - Awning Accessories - Camping World

Of course with Flamingo Lights a few old fashion clothespins would seem appropriate.

Oversized Clothespin Clips

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh View Post
My daughter got me a very tasteful Christmas gift in the form of a string of pink flamingo lights for the Bambi.

How do I hang them? What are the best clips to use which won't damage the awning?

Can anyone tell me which are the best clips for awning lights on the Airstream? My daughter's tasteful Christmas gift of pink flamingo trailer lights need to be hung but I don't want to destroy or damage the awning. Any suggestions?
I just picked up a 24' LED rope light and wondered about the same thing.

After looking around a bit I found a bag of little plastic spring clips that seem to use stainless springs and I think are intended for laundry. They are smaller than regular clothes pins and nicer looking.

I drilled a small hole in each clip - where you would squeeze it to open - and threaded a nylon tie-wrap thru the hole and around the rope light.

I installed enough spring clips to have one about every two feet or so.

I haven't had chance to try them yet but they should work fine. They seem to have lots of holding power and I don't believe they will damage the awning in any way.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
See if you have an extra track similar to awning track on roller, you can slide tabs into track and hang anything from the grommet built into the tab, cw should have what you need.
Thanks, Dave, I really need to have a look at the awning to see what kind of setup we have. I don't recall a track in which to slide anything but will check.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:20 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
I just picked up a 24' LED rope light and wondered about the same thing.

After looking around a bit I found a bag of little plastic spring clips that seem to use stainless springs and I think are intended for laundry. They are smaller than regular clothes pins and nicer looking.

I drilled a small hole in each clip - where you would squeeze it to open - and threaded a nylon tie-wrap thru the hole and around the rope light.

I installed enough spring clips to have one about every two feet or so.

I haven't had chance to try them yet but they should work fine. They seem to have lots of holding power and I don't believe they will damage the awning in any way.

Brian.
You're a very creative guy, Brian. Good luck with your new hooks!
Old 01-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Plastic Spring Clips from Harbor Freight Tools
Old 01-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
_

. , .
almost any clothespin works (wood or plastic) fine...

downy had some primo versions for a couple of years,

these had a J hook opposite the pin so the lights could be hung on the hooks very quickly.

(they've been d/cd from the downy promo stuff 4 awhile)

the problem with almost all 'clips is they use simple spring tension which pulls loose easily...
_________

i tried a few of these 4-5 years ago and evenually purchased 2 dozen.

they work VERY very well and 'snap' closed on each end,

like some trowser suspenders.

Click image for larger version

Name:	awning_clips.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	118732

Click image for larger version

Name:	lantern_snaps.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	118733

so they can be left attached to the light string even when removed from the awning.

made with brass, therez no rust or solar decay...

they are available on am-zon and many rv supply sites...

search using the KEY TERMS noted on the packaging above...
_________

btw there is no track/slot/grove on these z-d awnings...
_________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingeezer View Post
...I installed enough spring clips to have one about every two feet or so...
while the clips and light wires might be strong enough for 2 foot spacing,

the 'skirt-edging' on the awning will simply bunch together and not maintain an even distribution of the lights/wires...

it depends SOME on how much each fixture weighs and how large the covers (swinging in the wind) are but generally,

the clips will need to be spaced 4-12 inches apart IF hanging from the edging...

IF one installs brass grommets in the skirt OR rivets into the poll greater spacing can work.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:41 PM   #9
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Amazon.com: Tarp Clips, 2pk: Sports & Outdoors

I use tarp clips like these. They're shut by ratchet mechanism, they don't rely on a spring. They're also handy for hanging the lights in tree. They are sufficiently strong for my large prismatic globe lights.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Davenport , Iowa
I use "badge clips" these are purchased at Wally in the stationary dept. They have a clip as 2-air shows, but on the one end there is a plastic strap with snap on it. I use these with the string type of lights,ie AS trailers, flamingos and palm trees; too small for the rope lights. The plastic clips work better there and don't rust.
Airtandem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
TAC OH-17

1994 34' Limited
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
we also use the badge clips, they are cheap and work very well
Old 01-04-2011, 12:53 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Lots of great suggestions. My concern is clipping something to the Airstream awning which won't cause damage to it. I'll have a look at some of the hooks and gismos suggested on here. Much appreciated!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:48 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Awning Clips

Just stumbled on these today! $2

1/2 Inch Library Clips - Clearance - by Stampin' Up!
Old 03-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Despite all the wonderful suggestions, I am no closer to hanging my flamingo lights. I hesitate to attach a clip directly to the awning material for fear it will rip/damage it. We don't have a track where we can slide in awning hooks. I wish the Airstream Accessory Store had something we could use but they don't. Still a bit frustrated.
Old 03-12-2011, 10:51 AM   #15
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Don't worry, the clips won't hurt the fabric.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 01:45 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
We usually don't hang lights from the awning simply because we don't leave the awning deployed while we are away or over night (due to unexpected gusts, etc...it only takes once)...and lights make it slower to retract....

BUT when we do, we use some clear plastic clips we got at Vintage Trailer Supplies Awning Clips They do a nice job, they are inobtrusive and you can leave them on the lights...they alsio can be use to clip light to other places on your trailer, like on the edge of the rock guard panels (which is where us usually hang our flamingos)... I htink yo might be able to get these at Camping World or other RV supply houses. have fun with your lights!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 03:00 PM   #17
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh View Post
Despite all the wonderful suggestions, I am no closer to hanging my flamingo lights. I hesitate to attach a clip directly to the awning material for fear it will rip/damage it. We don't have a track where we can slide in awning hooks. I wish the Airstream Accessory Store had something we could use but they don't. Still a bit frustrated.
I did read somewhere here on the Forums that people have actually put grommets into their awnings so they could hang their lights that way using a hook. But that would entail actually making a hole in your awning and applying a grommet. I imagine it would look nice but a lot of work I am guessing.

We just use "binder" clips from Office Depot. They're quite tacky and ugly but work very well and we have been in some windy locations and they did not damage our awning. It may just be my next project to "fancy" them up, lol.
Old 03-13-2011, 02:43 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBRich View Post
We usually don't hang lights from the awning simply because we don't leave the awning deployed while we are away or over night (due to unexpected gusts, etc...it only takes once)...and lights make it slower to retract....

BUT when we do, we use some clear plastic clips we got at Vintage Trailer Supplies Awning Clips They do a nice job, they are inobtrusive and you can leave them on the lights...they alsio can be use to clip light to other places on your trailer, like on the edge of the rock guard panels (which is where us usually hang our flamingos)... I htink yo might be able to get these at Camping World or other RV supply houses. have fun with your lights!
TB, you da man. I went to that website and ordered up a set or two of those clips. They look perfect. My pink flamingo lights thank you!