Old 07-11-2011, 03:20 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcashcollect View Post
Man, I wish I would have read this thread first. Just bought and paid for a 16' A&E awning. I went though a local RV dealer. Only reason was because shipping other items from the US has been a PITA. Sorry Andy, really wanted to keep going through you. Am I gonna kick myself if I go through the trouble of installing this thing?
Sorry, but it was your choice.

Andy

Old 07-24-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
1978 31' Excella 500
Kelowna , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In

Sorry, but it was your choice.

Andy
Hey guys, here is an update. The awning has been installed. The instructions weren't that clear, and it's obvious that they took the parts for a straight armed awning and just bent the main arms. It would not install properly until we cut the small arms off. They were too long. I mounted the bottom brackets to the molding that runs along the bottom, which also has the metal base of the floor. There just didn't seem to be anything solid below that or the arm length probably would have been fine. The arms were also stuck together and had to be worked in order for all of the parts to slide properly. That being said it looks pretty good when finished. Next time I will order the zipdee, just for the ease of install.

Thanks again to this forum for all of the help, and links to great resources. We have done just about everything imaginable to this trailer. Next we polish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4180343563.png
Views:	109
Size:	881.3 KB
ID:	135740  

Old 07-24-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcashcollect View Post
Hey guys, here is an update. The awning has been installed. The instructions weren't that clear, and it's obvious that they took the parts for a straight armed awning and just bent the main arms. It would not install properly until we cut the small arms off. They were too long. I mounted the bottom brackets to the molding that runs along the bottom, which also has the metal base of the floor. There just didn't seem to be anything solid below that or the arm length probably would have been fine. The arms were also stuck together and had to be worked in order for all of the parts to slide properly. That being said it looks pretty good when finished. Next time I will order the zipdee, just for the ease of install.

Thanks again to this forum for all of the help, and links to great resources. We have done just about everything imaginable to this trailer. Next we polish
Since your going to polish the trailer, you will get more awning experience.

Remove the awning, "BEFORE" you start to polish.

If you don't, that black gooey stuff from the polishing process, will get all over the awning.

Andy
Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
bilby05

1962 24' Tradewind
1962 24' Tradewind
Canyon , Texas
This thread fits right in with info that I needed. A couple of more quick questions. Where is the best place to purchase the appropriate curved arms, and other hardware, to fit our '69 31 foot Sovereign. And how long (front to rear) should the awning be for optimal coverage, and vintage appropriateness. Like everything else on our AS should be, but isn't.
thanks, bill b.
Old 07-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
If you contact Zip Dee they can tell you the exact size awning for your AS.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Awning Advice

Another advantage of the Zip Dee is the support that the manufacturer offers for all of its products regardless of age that have been installed on Airstreams. A & E/Dometic essentially told me that I was on my own regarding repair parts in 1999 so I junked the A & E awning on my Overlander and installed a new Zip Dee and couldn't be happier with its quality and performance.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilby05 View Post
This thread fits right in with info that I needed. A couple of more quick questions. Where is the best place to purchase the appropriate curved arms, and other hardware, to fit our '69 31 foot Sovereign. And how long (front to rear) should the awning be for optimal coverage, and vintage appropriateness. Like everything else on our AS should be, but isn't.
thanks, bill b.
You need a 20 foot 11 1/4 inch Zip Dee awning for a 31 foot Airstream trailer.

The most popular color is # 4755, Pacific Blue Fancy.

Andy