Old 01-12-2005, 08:51 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Awining and door

Just rolled out my awning and cannot get it to clear the top of the door. Awning looks new and dosn't have a big sag. I placed a block of wood between light over the door and the aluminum awning cover to get mor clearance. My older units had baggy awnings and they would clar the door. Before I wear a hole in my awning , has anyone had this kind of issue and what did you do?

Old 01-12-2005, 09:04 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Awining and door

Greetings Ga Pockets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ga Pockets
Just rolled out my awning and cannot get it to clear the top of the door. Awning looks new and dosn't have a big sag. I placed a block of wood between light over the door and the aluminum awning cover to get mor clearance. My older units had baggy awnings and they would clar the door. Before I wear a hole in my awning , has anyone had this kind of issue and what did you do?
In my experience, certain awnings tend to have a greater tendency to display this problem than others. There is a nylon roller assembly available that attaches to the high-point of the door (its riveted to the door on my coach) to prevent damage from the door - - the nylon roller will contact the awning material, but the door won't. When my coach still had its original A & E Travel Awn 5000, the nylon roller always contacted the awning material - - with the new ZipDee it rarely touches the material if I keep the front of the awning arms a little higher than the rear arms.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 12:33 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Thanks, I try some more adjusting.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:52 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
If it's a Zip Dee, the middle bar is there partly to lift the awning up high enough to clear the door. Also, I've found that if I have the awning at too severe of a downward angle, the door will drag on it. So, I just make sure the awning is as much in parallel with the ground as possible. If I want to shed rain, I just lower the rear adjustment enough to facilitate this.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 03:08 PM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
It's really a matter of raising the awing high enough to clear the door. Personally that's a little higher than I would like but that's pretty much the way it is.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 04:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings Ga Pockets!
There is a nylon roller assembly available that attaches to the high-point of the door (its riveted to the door on my coach) to prevent damage from the door - - the nylon roller will contact the awning material, but the door won't.
Kevin
Kevin do you have a picture that you might be able to share? We have the same saggie awning issue and looking for a quick fix until the new awining is made sometime this coming summer.

Thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 04:30 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Awining and door

Greetings GT6921!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921
Kevin do you have a picture that you might be able to share? We have the same saggie awning issue and looking for a quick fix until the new awining is made sometime this coming summer.

Thanks
I don't have a photo of the awning glide, but should be able to get one between rain storms tomorrow if all goes well - - the coach is parked just 20 feet beyond the back door.

I did find a listing for this part on Ace Fogdall's parts catalog:

Awning Roller, 1/card.

I will do my best to get a photo of the installation posted tomorrow.

Kevin
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
Old 01-12-2005, 08:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Process Issue?

GaPockets-

Before putting wheels on door, or other workarounds, I'd verify with owner's manual and user instructions that awning extension process is correct. Didn't say if yours was Zip Dee or not, but they have instructions on their web site, as do others...

Our 1988 model should have similar door placement and rail placement etc for physical fit, and we have ZipDee brand..

Just rolling awning down and out is only first step of 3.. Using upper spacer bars to stretch awning roller at max distance from trailer against internal spring tension is step #2. Then the heavy lifting of angled support bars begins, to get maximum lift and roller height above ground. Zip Dee's should go almost horizontal, as post above noted, and ours will clear door easily in max lift mode with fabric stretched from coach to roller bar. When rain is forecast, you'd have to lower end away from door somewhat to let rain roll off to rear, instead of collecting in sag area, but even then ours clears the door if front support at max extension..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 08:47 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Ga Pockets,

The Zip Dee awning on my 1989 32' Excella has come unstitched at the roller tube in several places. This causes sags in my awning even though it is tight at both ends and at the center rail.

Ben
Old 01-17-2005, 04:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Awining and door

Greetings GT6921

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6921

Thanks
It took me a little longer than I anticipated, but I did finally get the photos. When the Ruths polished the coach, they utilized stainless metal screws with plastic (nylon?) washers in re-installing the glide.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
AIR #827
Old 01-17-2005, 11:23 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64
Greetings GT6921It took me a little longer than I anticipated, but I did finally get the photos. When the Ruths polished the coach, they utilized stainless metal screws with plastic (nylon?) washers in re-installing the glide.Kevin
That is great - I will show this to the HB and he can rig up a wheel - maybe just a none intrusive bracket that holds a poly wheel that would cotor pin in place when you need it - yes I know just another little part to loose. But I think we are going to need a bigger wheel - our awning is an old heavy one. So I am not sure if I will like the look of a big wheel on the door.

Thanks Again - and no one is ever too slow - just moving at a perfected pace!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:38 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

El Paso , Texas
Send a message via AIM to aztlanco
Same problem, but worse;
My ZipDee came with that roller as part of the package. My problem is that my trailer is a "vintage" '58 Traveler and the drip shield over the door opening extends outward about four inches and barely clears the door as it is being opened, and I cannot mount the wheel to the door because the wheel would hit the drip shield.
I'm presently trying to figure out a way to maybe install a wheel that is spring loaded and would fold down as it comes in contact with the drip shield but would spring up as the door is bieing opened and clears the drip shield.
If anybody has tackeled this problem, let me know. Thanks in advance.
Ernie
'58 Traveler 18ft.