Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #1

1976 Argosy 22
Waynesville , Ohio
Argosy Awning

I have a question about our 1976 Argosy awning. It currently has the A & E Systems 5000 Model. We need to put a new awning on, but we need to make corrections to the hardware. The hardware works as far as opening the awning and setting it up, but taking it down is were we have the problem. It does not want to roll up correctly. Sometimes it rolls correctly on one side, but the other side has extra awning hanging out. Any suggestions on repairing the hardware, and where would be the best place to purchase (cost) the awning? Is it possible to purchase an awning from Ebay or any of the other sites like Ebay? Any suggestions would be helpful.
cushmangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushmangirl View Post
I have a question about our 1976 Argosy awning. It currently has the A & E Systems 5000 Model. We need to put a new awning on, but we need to make corrections to the hardware. The hardware works as far as opening the awning and setting it up, but taking it down is were we have the problem. It does not want to roll up correctly. Sometimes it rolls correctly on one side, but the other side has extra awning hanging out. Any suggestions on repairing the hardware, and where would be the best place to purchase (cost) the awning? Is it possible to purchase an awning from Ebay or any of the other sites like Ebay? Any suggestions would be helpful.
Welcome to the Forums!

These awnings have an internal torsion spring in one (or both) ends, depending on the length of the roller tube. It sounds like one of the torsions is bad and in need of replacement, or the roller mechanism on the bad side is binding.

Either situation requires you to remove the end caps for inspection. This operation involves removing the lower rafter arms from the roller tube and unwinding the spring.

BE VERY CAREFUL HERE!!!!!!!!! There is a definite procedure to follow and serious injury can result if you don't do it correctly.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1977 31' Sovereign
1977 Argosy 24
Cincinnati , Ohio
If you end up deciding to replace your awning then I would go for a Zip-Dee.

Those E&E awnings just don't look right on an Airstream or Argosy....
Old 07-03-2008, 12:05 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
For a new awning the only choice you have is a vintage awning or a Zipdee. The vintage awnings have to be manually installed and taken off every time you setup, but they look great and the price is a fraction of a Zipdee. I have a Zipdee that I installed a few years ago and think it is the best. They are very well built, but will cost you over a thousand dollars. There are a couple of members on the forums that are Zipdee dealers and do offer a discount.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 02:13 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
The older A&E awnings are not that bad.

Just about any place can work in the awning. Also you can have just the roller replaced. Also the material if you want.
AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
No trailers...
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
I say stick with the A&E... you can buy a replacement roller for much cheaper than a Zip Dee.. but I'd call A&E themselves to see if they have replacement parts for your current one first. IMHO, the zip's are a bit more fragile than the A&E...

Search A&E on the forums, there's photos of the A&E installation manual which will tell you how to disemble the roller.
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Here you go..

I think Carefree was bought out by A&E somewhere down the road... or vs. versa... anyhow, here's the manual.
http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...&searchid=6622

Good luck!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 10:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Ms75Argosy View Post
I think Carefree was bought out by A&E somewhere down the road... or vs. versa... anyhow, here's the manual.
http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...&searchid=6622

Good luck!
Marc
Actually, Carefree was purchased by a private concern and is now part of a much larger industrial group. They also make and sell anchor windlass systems for yachts. They have a very nice factory in Colorado (duh!) that I have been thru....very impressive!

A & E Systems was purchased a while ago by Dometic, and is now a fully integrated part of their company. Their manufacturing facility is in LaGrange, Indiana.

If you are wondering where I get this info from.......I represent both companies, as well as Zip-Dee and Girard Systems (all awning manufacturers)
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote