Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2014, 08:00 AM   #1

1985 27' Sovereign
Redding , California
Cool Anyone painted Zip Dee awning?

Call me crazy....my zipdee awning is in great shape but I really dislike the Airstream blue and white colors. Would it be feasible to paint the awning? If so, what type paint would be recommended? (I've also thought of covering existing awning with parachute cloth to cover fabric yet not add too much weight - take off before retracting zipdee). Tell me I'm not the only one considering a way to cheaply change the colors of a perfectly good awning?
VintageGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 08:34 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
Different strokes! I have always loved the blue and white awnings, yet we have never had one. The awning on our first AS was bad and we removed it and never replaced it. The second one had a charcoal grey awning and the current AS has a mostly brown awning.
I would think paint wouldn't be very durable. The parachute cloth seems like a simple solution.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Fort Bragg , North Carolina
Interesting concept in trying to change the color. Have you thought of some type of dye as a solution? The material is most likely sunbrella so there may be some challenges with paint, dye or any other substance to penetrate the material as it is meant to keep folks dry.
Here also is the link to Airstream Supply (see below from AS forums) where they have a huge supply of awning if you didn't want to go for a solid Zip Dee color. A few weeks back there was a solid blue one offered for a couple hundred bucks. Don't know if that is an option for you.

have fun and good luck
SL4BLLT

Home Page
SL4BLLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Do it easy. Pick a Sunbrella color....it sells cheaply as possible on Ebay. Take it to a tarp/awning shop and have em make a new awning Then replace the fabric yourself.
Old 04-27-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
One option for you would be to use artist's acrylics and then go to town. An acrylic paint is likely the only product that would stand up to the weather as all as the repeated rolling and unrolling.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote