Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2017, 09:09 AM   #1
SCW

1978 31' Sovereign
Fayetteville , North Carolina
AE patio awning system was destroyed in some recent weather

Wife and I are in the middle of restoring a 1978 Sovereign 31 ft trailer and have been working for about a year on and off (took a break moving cross country last summer). We had put the awning up to shade us from sun and rain while we were working on building up front this week. Just had a strong storm come through yesterday in NC. While we were in our house, heard a loud noise and went out to see the awning completely destroyed. Crumpling further and ripping off the exterior wall as we ran to the Airstream - comically tragic really...

Looks like it buckled under the downpour and wind didn't seem to be strong so just rain damage. The lower parts of the arms and the roller are all bent and damaged. At a quick search online I was only able to find parts for the non-curved version and also did not see anything for the roller. Just want to see what we are looking at in the way of replacement cost...?

Anyone else had this happen to their vintage Airstream?

We've started a blog on our DIY www.steelcedarworkshop.com - will be posting on youtube as well for specific projects since we've basically gutted it to the frame. I can already tell this headache is going to be another blog post. Any resources, experiences with this, or advice would be appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream Damage 4.24.2017.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	278.6 KB
ID:	284125  
SCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Unless you can find a used one somewhere to scavenge parts off of the best bet is going to be a replacement. I don't know if anyone other than Zip Dee is still making the curved arm awnings or not.

Call Out-of-Doors Mart in Colfax, NC. You want the parts dept and ask for Ben. He will be able to tell you if any repair parts are available or not.

For future reference if there is going to be a heavy rain the best bet is pull the awning in, for lighter rain you should tip one end several inches lower than the other so it will drain quickly. You aren't the first one to learn this the hard way and I am sure you won't be the last.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
SCW

1978 31' Sovereign
Fayetteville , North Carolina
Yep lesson learned, didn't think the rain alone could do so much damage but I'll definitely be warning others in the future. Waiting to see what insurance says but will likely try to scavenge parts as usual. We've been up to out-of-doors mart here in NC, they are great - thanks for the tip on Ben.
SCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Rain is heavier than awnings. Add some wind and you are in for some hurt. If it's just raining you can tilt the awning so the rain runs off one side and doesn't pool.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote