Old 03-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh View Post
The Zip Dee 'Tropic Room' with extra curtains for privacy sounds great. Now I need to find where to buy one for a 19' Bambi Safari. It will end up being sleeping space so the privacy aspect is important. Does it have to be professionally installed, or can a somewhat inept husband and wife team manage it on their own? That would be me and my DH....
I'm sure your questions could be answered here. Awnings By ZipDee

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:20 PM   #16
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Add a rooms are awning brand specific. They are a mixed blessing. If I was setting up for a couple nights it usually isn't worth it. Setting up for a week or longer, worth it. They may not be 100% bug proof but having additional space out of the weather is priceless.

FWIW we use and EZE up awning with screen/solid panels to put over the picnic table when the bugs are ferocious. Those go up quick and easy.

Aaron

WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Zip Dee Tropic Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbob2 View Post
Andy, do you have pictures on your site?
Bob
Bob.

As promised.

Privacy screens can also be added, for total privacy.

Andy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tropic.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	97685  
Old 03-08-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Depends on your needs...

In theory, these look like a great idea and as mentioned already, if you are staying somewhere for an extended amount of time, may be worth it...

Our experience is owning one that attached to our Jayco popup.... Looked nice assembled, fine quality, but kind of a pita to set up and it does get a little warm in there too. We also questioned the wisdom of BBQ'in under there. ...

Like others said, we used it once or twice and into the box it went and never saw the light of day again until it was sold.

We love the idea, but were disappointed in the results...

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 03:22 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Agoura Hills , California
My Dad had a custom motorhome with a roll out awning. After a week in Maine during black fly season he was ready to drive it into the lake! I introduced him to the guy who built the dodger for my sailboat and they rigged up a sunbrella enclosure with large windows and screens and a skirt for the motorhome side. It had a combination of velcro and metal fasteners and was made in 8 sections that zipped together. When the bugs weren't biting, the old man would just put up the windward section. We met them one weekend in November in New Hampshire along the Kankamangus (?) Highway and it was sunny and in the low 40's, inside the enclosure it was nice and warm. I gave the old man 40 feet of lightweight anchor chain to hold down the sides, he cut it into the proper lengths and kept it bags. The entire enclosure rolled up into bags the builder supplied. It worked great!
Old 04-22-2010, 06:51 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

2006 19' Safari SE
Nawthin' , Hemisphere
Pretty close !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jager View Post
We met them one weekend in November in New Hampshire along the Kankamangus (?) Highway.....
It's "Kancamagus"............and it's beautiful !

Kancamagus Highway New Hampshire - NH (Kangamagus or Kangamangus Highway)

T & K

B4WEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:03 PM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Agoura Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by B4WEDI View Post
It's "Kancamagus"............and it's beautiful !

Kancamagus Highway New Hampshire - NH (Kangamagus or Kangamangus Highway)

I haven't been there since 92, I'm lucky to remember it at all! It was beautiful and since all the leaves had pretty much hit the ground there wasn't anyone else around...we went into North Conway and had dinner at (if I can remember correctly) a Scottish restaurant, really good!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:08 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
I was pretty keyed up about the Add-a-Room but put off by the expense. We're going to set up a tent as close as possible to the trailer and see how that works for us. It won't be perfect but it's worth a try, as we already have the tent and it was about a hundred bux.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleenh View Post
I was pretty keyed up about the Add-a-Room but put off by the expense. We're going to set up a tent as close as possible to the trailer and see how that works for us. It won't be perfect but it's worth a try, as we already have the tent and it was about a hundred bux.
When we traveled with gkids the boys loved the pup tent, we set it up under the awning, kept them relatively dry and gma's peace of mind.
Old 09-10-2011, 09:15 AM   #24
1 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
Huntsville , Alabama
Kathleenh, what did you decide about your add-a-room? My husband and I are wanting to get one for our (yet to be delivered) Sport 22FB. We have 2 dogs we'd like to give a little breathing room to and this seems like a good start. Thanks,
Emily
Old 09-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #25
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Since this is an awning related question, I hope it's cool to post it here (new to all this).

I am traveling solo in my new trailer (mostly) and being 5'2 I am having a heck of a time with the awning. Just not tall enough to have the height and upper body strength to pull and lock it all into place.

Does anybody know if Zipdee now has an Automatic awning for the Airstream? Was thinking I might check those out for the Entry side of the trailer, and see if the original awning could be installed on the other side.

Thoughts? Thanks everybody!
Old 09-10-2011, 07:09 PM   #26
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky65 View Post
Since this is an awning related question, I hope it's cool to post it here (new to all this).

I am traveling solo in my new trailer (mostly) and being 5'2 I am having a heck of a time with the awning. Just not tall enough to have the height and upper body strength to pull and lock it all into place.

Does anybody know if Zipdee now has an Automatic awning for the Airstream? Was thinking I might check those out for the Entry side of the trailer, and see if the original awning could be installed on the other side.

Thoughts? Thanks everybody!
Zip Dee awnings have a center strap, along with about a 3 foor long rod with a hook on the end of it.

That rod is used to hook the strap, and then pull out the awning.

That would work perfect for you.

Yes, there is automatics, but very expensive.

Andy
Old 09-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #27
Short Gal with a Big F250

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Dallas , Texas
Hey Andy:

Yep - that's the kind I have. And with a 3 step ladder and 15 minutes, I can struggle solo with the thing and still have trouble getting it up and down, due to the height and upper body strength required to pull/set the tension arms.

How expensive is expensive on an automatic one? And could the one I have be mounted on the other side of the Eddie Bauer?

Thanks - Pinky
Old 09-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #28
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Marietta , Georgia
Pinky - have you watched this video? It takes all the extraneous effort out of the process:

Zip Dee Patio Awning Operating Instructions For Airstream - YouTube