Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2002, 05:13 PM   #1
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
A&E Travel Awn 5000

Anyone know about these awnings?
Mine has no torsion action, so the fabric sort of falls down when the awning arms get unlocked. The fabric is attached properly, it seems.
Also, i have to get on a ladder and manually wind up the awning fabric. i would like to know how to repair the torsion system, or if this is even possible. I am also looking for a source for the necessary parts to do this.
The hardware is otherwise in good condition, and the awning fabric also seems ok at this time. No rips etc. I would prefer to repair this instead of having to buy a whole new awning.
My Airstream is a 1971 Land Yacht Trade Wind 25ft.
Any information would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Uwe
uwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 12:15 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

you can click here for an awning service manual from A&E (PDF format)
VAC
https://pages.sprint.ca/Streamsite/main.html
66TradeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 04:24 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Awning

Just this week, I repaired my awning which had the very same problem as your's. To wit; You'll find inside the tube that extends outward the spring that provides the tension. It's this spring that's either broken or came lose from the center rod. I don't know personally what your looks like. But, on mine the tube where the end arms attached, I had to drilled out the rivets in order to remove the spring. You might look it over again and, if I can be of further help, leave me a note here.
This is, as you might guess, something that should be repaired before you go on a trip. (To prevent possible damages to your unit.)ciao
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2002, 10:44 AM   #4
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
A&E Awning

I am now armed with great advice, as well as a freshly downloaded service manual for my awning. I will get a sharp drill bit and tear into the thing tomorrow......I'll keep you posted.
Ciao,
uwe
Old 06-28-2002, 01:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up Awning

That's the 'spirit'!! you go get em!~!~
give the man another rivet!!!
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 06-28-2002, 02:22 PM   #6
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
I just read through the manual, which still does not quite expplain how to get the fabric off of there without initiating a shred-fest.
Did you take the fabric off to repair the roller tube tensioner, Vern?
Uwe
Old 06-28-2002, 03:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Ref:awning

No, actually it's rivet'd to the tube itself. I just took one arm off and, then drilled out the rivets in order to get inside. But, and this is where I goof'd~ while trying to pull the spring out..it went zannng on me and, ended up further back in..ouch..what would've been a 30 min job turned into 4 hours because I refused to drill out the other end.(at first) But, it was becoming clear that the only way I could get the spring out was to open the other end..once I did that, it went very quickly. BTW, I also inserted the new spring back in from that end too~~From the looks of your manual, I'd swear it's the same spring assy~ I had to wound it up 18 times. the number for yours may be different. Determine by the length of awning. Good luck~~!!
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 04-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #8

Townsend , Montana
Question about manual

I just had a question about the manual, that was linked. I tried opening it up and it did not work. I was just wondering if you still had the sight. Thanks
fligge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:28 PM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by fligge
I just had a question about the manual, that was linked. I tried opening it up and it did not work. I was just wondering if you still had the sight. Thanks
Welcome to the forums:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf A&E8500 manual.pdf (180.3 KB, 775 views)
Old 02-26-2009, 02:51 PM   #10

1973 21' Globetrotter
ormond , Florida
I wasn't aware that these travelawn 5000's could be repaired. My spring is out as well. Can I buy a new spring? I'm ready to tear into it and see anyway. Maybe I can repair the existing one. My awning is about 15' Is it one spring from end to end? thanks
strip4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Missouri City , Texas
Awning spring replacement

As I read this thread earlier today it sparked my memory that with my 1st Airstream a 1969 27' that I had some awning spring problems as well back in 1986. This was before the internet so I did not have very many resources to rely on. But somehow I determined that the spring was broken and needed to be replaced. I even found someone to buy it from and ship it to me. When I received it I decided it was a job that would probably be better done by a local RV shop. So I took the trailer and the spring assembly that I bought to them. I explained the problem and told them that I had the correct replacement part laying on the floor in the trailer. A week or so went by and they called to say the awning was fixed and I could come pick up the trailer. When I looked at the bill I saw that they had charged me for a new spring that I had already bought myself. I told them that I brought the spring with me and it was in the trailer. So we loked in the trailer and it wasn't there and they had no idea what I was talking about. But we finally found the guy I had talked with when I dropped the trailer of and he said, oh yea, I put the spring right over there on the work bench. Well it was still there. They took the cost of the spring off of I my bill and told me that I could take the one I had bought since they could not return and to just keep as a spare. I took it home and put it in my garage attic. I sold the trailer a few years later and forgot about the spring. So Today I climbed up in the attic and way in the back was this dusty shipping tube with the new awning spring still inside. Its for a Carefree awning produced prior to 1984. It has the parts and instructions. I see you are talking about an A&E awning but if anyone needs a Crefree awning front spring I have one.

Don
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:33 AM   #12

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
abbotsford , British Columbia
The manual in the link says it is for the 8500. Is that the same as the 5000
jimbo715 is offline   Reply With Quote