Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2010, 02:22 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
marietta , Georgia
'76 Sovereign

Got my new Zip Dee Awning fabric and hardware.I think the hard part will be riveting the fabric to the awning pole and maybe the new spring.I have been looking on the web but have not seen anything hepful with that,just basic new installs.Any ideas?
scottgaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Scottgaga,
I am surprised Zip Dee didn't send you instructions. I have heard they have good customer service. Maybe a call placed to them and you can get detailed instructions for the fabric replacement.

We got a 1979 Sovereign last summer and one of the first things we did was remove the street side Zip Dee awning which is 20' long and comes out about 4'. When we got ours, the awning material was put on upside down and the strap was also ripped in the middle. The whole thing came off fairly easy but read the Zip Dee website on removal. The arms are wound tight and will hurt you or the trailer if taken off wrong.

We re-stitched much of this awning while it was off since the stitching was coming out. We also replaced the cord at the top (which had dry-rotted) so it would stay in the aluminum slat tracks.

The hard part for us wasn't the riveting or removing of rivets to the tube, it was getting the material on and off the tube. It is a long awning and trying to slide the material over the tube the full length is like trying to put on a pair of tight jeans with legs 20' long. New material may be easier to slide on depending on how tight it is.

Once you have the material on the correct way, drilling new holes for the rivets and attaching the awning are simple. Make sure the awning material is on the right way (flap at the open end should fall downward once opened). Also our strap got riveted to the tube after the material was put on and between flap and awning so the flap hangs down.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
marietta , Georgia
Thanks,I will look through the paksage again.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
If you don't find instruction, call them. I am sure they will walk you through the process or send details. Some people have had pieces of their awnings replaced 30 years later at no charge. Good company. I probably should have called them and asked for the easy way to slide on the material over the tube. They probably have a trick like using lye soap as lubricant or something HAHAHA.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 02:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Bothell , Washington
scottga- how many of the awnings did you replace, and how much did the fabric cost? Any pics of the completed project?

Thanks,
Gavin
ShinyTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
marietta , Georgia
awning

So far I just replaced the main awning,I think the smaller one I can repair.The fabric was just under $900.No pictures yet.The job was not as hard as I thought t would be.