Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-21-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
memphis , Tennessee
'65 Safari Carefree Awning Help

Hi,
i've been restoring a '65 safari and the PO gave me the pieces to the old awning. after looking it over i'm not sure if it will work or not. its current status is a pile on the garage floor. i think i have all of the brackets and the arm assemblies. there are two small bracket "thingies" that screw into each end of the awning rail. i also have the lower and upper brackets that the swing arms connect to the side of the airstream. i feel fairly confident that it is all there. i see where all of these pieces were attached previously.

before i spend a lot of time and money, is there an easy way to know if the awning spring assembly, etc is in good working order? there is not any fabric on it right now but i dont know if this would matter or not. from what i have read on the forum replacement parts do not exist. i'm a real newby and do not know how these awnings work.

would i be better off just starting from scratch?

thanks,
bob
rburditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:46 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Bob, If you contact the manufacturer of your awning you may be able to get new fabric for it. If it is a curved arm Carefree of Colorado they will only sell you their vinyl fabric. Ask me how I know! I don't like being told that I am limited to their choice of colors so I am currently looking for another supplier of awning fabric. I want to have striped fabric like the original. It was blue and white vertical stripes...The hunt goes on. If someone out there has a source for vinyl in strpes that will fit a Carefree awning roller tube I need your help! As far as your awning the material was probably rotten and the springs may be good. Try to wind the end shaft of the tube to see if there is spring resistance. Use care and a good pair of vise grip pliers. Hope this helps. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
memphis , Tennessee
Ed,
If you find a fabric replacement, please let me know! After looking over my carefree I think i could clean it up and reuse it if i had an appropriate fabric for it. Like you i'm looking for vertical stripes...mine has the remnants of yellow and white but i'd take the blue and white as well!

thx,
bob
rburditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 06:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
awning fabric

Bob, I am still looking but I will keep you in mind if I can find a source. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote