Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-24-2005, 03:09 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
29' Awning for '72 Ambassador

The AS I'm buying--a '72 Ambassador (not '69, as I posted in error in all my earlier posts) had an awning, but the fabric is ripped and the frame is damaged in a few places due to being caught in a storm. Would it be smarter to buy a new awning or to attempt to repair the old one?
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:07 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Brach
The AS I'm buying--a '72 Ambassador (not '69, as I posted in error in all my earlier posts) had an awning, but the fabric is ripped and the frame is damaged in a few places due to being caught in a storm. Would it be smarter to buy a new awning or to attempt to repair the old one?
If it is a ZipDee, you can probably get the needed parts and repair it. If it is anything else, chances are you will spend more than you could buy a new Zip Dee for. Also, you will probably need a 19' awning, as they tend to be 10' shorter than the advertised length of the coach.
Old 12-25-2005, 12:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Vince,

Measure your awning support slot at the top of the AS. It's the extruded bar that the awning fabric or cover slides into. That will dictate the size of your awning replacement, unless you want to get involved in changing or adding to this support bar. As 63 said, If it's a Zip Dee you can get everything you need from them. If not, Carefree of Colorado is also good to deal with if it's one of theirs.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote