Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
2006 classic 31 door scraping awning

We are new Airstream owners- bought an essentially new 2006 classic 31( was used only 4 times and stored inside) and the awning is in excellent shape. We watched the instructional video from ZipDee on putting it together, and we do have the center strut in place as well, but the door scrapes the awning when we open it. The outside struts are in the 3rd hole and it seems that it just needs to be higher. Are there more holes? I wouldn't want to push it farther and have it come apart- then we would be in a big mess! Any help for these newbies would be appreciated!
Flying Gypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #2
AIR #8691

2006 25' Safari SS SE
Northern , Virginia
Cut two small pieces of wood (or plastic) about (1in. X 2 in.) and maybe 12 inches long. I stick them up between the doorframe’s rain gutter and the long aluminum cover for the awning. Cut the wood enough so it pushes up the awning about 2 inches to clear the door swing. Don’t have a photo. Works fine, stays between the gutter and the notch and never falls out. Store them in the inside in the book case.
JStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Thanks- I will give that a try- I guess if it gets windy and dislodges them, they just fall out- I like simplicity!
Old 04-17-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
When my awning is fully extended the door does not touch the awning fabric. Look on the ZipDee site. You should be able to see a picture that shows how many holes are in the support poles. Also make sure that you have tightened the rafter arms (ratchet) so there is no slack in the fabric.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Awning Prop

I did the same thing with a couple pieces of white plastic pipe 3/4"? and put a T fitting on the canvas end and some rubber cups that are for table or chair legs on the ends to keep from slipping and avoid rubbing a wear hole in the canvas awning. These are only necessary if the awning is only partially out, as when set up at properly at a campsite, with the awning fully deployed,it is not necessary.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStanley View Post
Cut two small pieces of wood (or plastic) about (1in. X 2 in.) and maybe 12 inches long. I stick them up between the doorframe’s rain gutter and the long aluminum cover for the awning. Cut the wood enough so it pushes up the awning about 2 inches to clear the door swing. Don’t have a photo. Works fine, stays between the gutter and the notch and never falls out. Store them in the inside in the book case.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Your awning is not up far enough in the front. leave the rear down one notch from the front for water drainage.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Cookeville , Tennessee
Your door probably has two small holes in it. A small wheel might have been there. It is a small roller wheel that keeps the door from scraping the awning. I have seen them online but couldn't find it tonight.
tcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I have also read that someone cut a particular size diameter plastic tubing and slit it lengthwise and it stays in place over the top of the door and corner and eliminates the friction between awning and door. It may have been in SilverGate's Safari is home at last, most excellent thread on improving our streams with wonderful tips and pictures, as also is Pahaska's 28 Classic thread. Two of my favorite threads.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 AM   #9

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I agree with Michelle. On a new trailer like yours, your awning should not be rubbed by the door. You may not have your awning fully extended on the door side. On the door side, you should have 3 adjusting holes showing. one the opposite end, you should have only 2 adjustment holes showing. This cants the awning slightly to one side, allowing the rain water to drain efficiently. If the awning is even all the way across, rain water will not drain properly.

On Lucy's Zip Dee, when only two adjustment holes are showing on the door side, the top of the door drags on the awning.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I have 4 holes total. Or as Moosetags says 3 showing, pin is in the fourth. In the 4th hole, the door does not rub the fabric. BUT, I have 4 holes on both ends allowing for a level deployment. They should be canted though, if there is ANY chance of rain.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Archer , Florida
Yay, Hooray! We have a 4th hole! Now that it is fully extended, no issues with the door scraping the awning. Thank you everyone for helping us figure this out. I am so glad that we have an Airstream that comes ready-equipped with all this technical knowledge....this forum (and folks like you willing to share) is worth it's weight in gold!
Old 04-19-2011, 07:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Gypsies View Post
Yay, Hooray! We have a 4th hole! Now that it is fully extended, no issues with the door scraping the awning. Thank you everyone for helping us figure this out. I am so glad that we have an Airstream that comes ready-equipped with all this technical knowledge....this forum (and folks like you willing to share) is worth it's weight in gold!
Remember to keep the end opposite the door one notch lower than the door end. If it's level, it'll hold rain water and break. $$$$$$$$$$$$

Had it happen on my SOB at Disney many years ago. Luckily it didn't break, but it was holding about 15 gallons of water and the support poles were curved under the stress. My brother broke the roll tube on his. Do it once and you'll never forget!
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote