Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-23-2016, 08:20 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
1979 Zip Dee awning, spring stuck in tube

So we had the spring on the main roadside awning snap. We ordered a new on from Zip Dee with instructions. It is a manually operated type with the round clasps at each side, standard in 1979.

We lowered the awning tube onto a stable surface, took the arm off the camper, drilled the rivets on the tube end and got that off with some work. We were able to reach. In and get the broken end of the spring and stretch it out of the tube but it is firmly attached inside. According to Zip Dee and some of the posts I have read, it should just slide out but ours is stuck. I tried pulling the spring as hard as I could, then put a long screwdriver in the stretched spring to keep it tensioned and pounded on the tube with a rubber mallet where the connection to the gear is but nothing.

I can feel 4 rivets close together in a line along the tube at about 4' in from the end of the tube but they are under the awning fabric. If I am thinking correctly, this should just hold a small "gear type tooth" that the spring end catches correct? Is it possible that the factory riveted the spring solidly to the tube at the 4' in area?

I also pushed a length of flat steel in around the spring to see if it would catch on anything and it only hits something where the 4 lined up rivets are. The other areas around the tube are not blocked at 4' in.

Any ideas on how I can release the spring except keep pounding on the tube?

Since it is the weekend, Zip Dee is closed. I figured I would call them Monday and see what they determine but with the knowledge base here, I am sure others have run into the same issue on older awnings.

Thanks,
Tadd
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 09:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I recall having a hard time getting my old spring out a few years ago. Try pushing the broken spring deeper into the tube just a little to see if that frees it up. Also try rotating the broken spring to work around those rivets. I ended up using the awning pull bar (bar used to pull the awning out) to wiggle my spring around.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2016, 12:33 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Thanks. Will try those. I also used the awning rod to get the end of the spring to the end of the tube. Perfectly made for the job.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote