Old 09-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Bluffton , South Carolina
1978 Sovereign, my Zip Dee spring has sprung

Its been 4 months and 2 days since my last visit here. Have been busy upgrading and replacing outdated stuff. One thing gets fixed then the next thing breaks/fails, the classic "Domino" effect. Am doing all repairs myself, its quite exhausting. Today I was about to clean the awning and return it back to travel position when I noticed it was NOT automatically retracting. I read the original owner's manual and realized that there is no "Troubleshooting" guide. I have the original Zip Dee awning from 1978 and as we all know things were made to last back then. I need suggestions for replacement parts and believe my spring has sprung. The outer metal pipe/sleeve seems to be in good condition. Do I need to totally replace the whole roll assembly or What? Can I just replace the spring and its related parts? Its 21' overall, the roll is 20' 10".

Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHouse View Post
Its been 4 months and 2 days since my last visit here. Have been busy upgrading and replacing outdated stuff. One thing gets fixed then the next thing breaks/fails, the classic "Domino" effect. Am doing all repairs myself, its quite exhausting. Today I was about to clean the awning and return it back to travel position when I noticed it was NOT automatically retracting. I read the original owner's manual and realized that there is no "Troubleshooting" guide. I have the original Zip Dee awning from 1978 and as we all know things were made to last back then. I need suggestions for replacement parts and believe my spring has sprung. The outer metal pipe/sleeve seems to be in good condition. Do I need to totally replace the whole roll assembly or What? Can I just replace the spring and its related parts? Its 21' overall, the roll is 20' 10".
You can call Zip Dee at 800-338 BEST, for parts.

Ask for Linda.

Andy

Old 09-26-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
By all means, call ZipDee and tell them what you are experiencing. In my case, it was not the spring, but the z-lock. Those guys know their stuff.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign