Old 07-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
1968 28' Ambassador
Antigo , Wisconsin
1968 CareFree Awning

Howdy to all! We are newbies and proud new owners of a classic 1968 Ambassador. She is in really good shape but the awning has got to go. The hardware is in great shape but the fabric is shot. I don''t know if it is possible to get replacement fabric or not? That looks like the easy fix but I'm not sure. We are excited to join the AS family and look forward to any advice we can get!

Rick & Kate

ricknkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
We replaced just the fabric last year. It took some doing finding someone to order it for me since I wanted Sunbrella. They are all just familiar with the cheap vinyl replacements. I started with the Carefree website and then went to the dealers and started calling until I found someone familiar with ordering from Carefree. I think I paid $471 for the fabric with the Alumaguard. Vinyl replacements were about 250. My awning is 20 ft. The hardest part was ordering it and them getting it right. They ordering the wrong fabric the first time even though I gave them a picture of the fabric along with the style number and name. The installation was simple since we have an instuction sheet from 1978 even though it isn't hard to figure out on your own. The most help it gave was for retensioning the spring.

Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 08:52 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky

Welcome to the forum, you will find more info here than can be processed!! We recently purchased a 63 Ambassador and LOVE IT!! Please let us know what you find for your awning ( maybe we will get one for Christmas. )

63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote