Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 02:49 PM   #29
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
LP tanks & Southern Shine

Here are shots of both tanks, before and after. Far from perfect but a very nice improvement. The job took longer than I expected, approx 2 1/2 hours altogether. I didn't use sandpaper. I scoured the tanks with SOS pads before applying the SS (not something I will do on the Caravel).
I'm hoping for a better result on the trailer.
I'm certainly not advocating SS over Nuvite or Rolite, just posting the result of my experiment on the tanks.

Rog
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanks.jpg
Views:	470
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	5447  

Old 03-27-2004, 09:31 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Short changing?

With all due respect-

This is a surprise. I wrote an e-mail to TT back in the end of the last "war" and he had my address, wrote back, and said that he was banned from here and that he had never even received payment on the bottles he had paid for to be shipped out.

He hardly seemed to be a liar- the people that are here saying that SS doesn't work didn't follow his prescribed method of wet sanding, and used it "by hand" as the photos show, and as I've personally seen- it does work- very quickly, and easily.

I suppose trashing him when he's not here to defend or reply is of the character to be expected after you chicago fellows were caught in that lie.

He went and proved it- leave the man alone and let people polish their trailers- have you even made a buck at it yet?

Seems the pro's all use Airmark- watch and learn...

Cheers. Peter

p.s. I've misplaced his address- anyone know how to contact him?

Old 03-27-2004, 09:58 AM   #31
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Peter, I don't know TT and the best I can say about SS so far is that it did a nice job of shining up my aluminum LP tanks.
I will be using it on my Caravel when weather permits (no dry days above 60 degrees in the 10 day forecast here).
I'm just a guy of modest means who wants to give his AS a decent shine. I don't expect "professional " results.
If I could afford to hire someone like airstreamcaravel to polish my trailer the traditional way, I'd certainly do it.
I do think that wet sanding would have done a better job on the tanks and I may do that on the trailer.
I will post pics when finished, good or bad.

Rog
Old 03-27-2004, 10:25 AM   #32
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Good day Rog-

as I've just researched what TT wrote, it seems as if the big question was: do you wish to create more swirls from scratching the skin with an abrasive compound on a machine, or light wet sanding which works best all in one direction and is easier to remove the fine scratches that remove the oxidation?

Specifically stated was that care must be taken, and trial and error in an area out of view is best suited for this.
Also, it was suggested to start with a very light grit and progress until one works well, so that the fine scratches are minimal.

I've also checked with an airport repair facility, and the wet sanding is a standard- maybe a company that sells a product suggests against it, but that may be because a piece of paper costs much less and doesn't work its way into their P+L statement. I'll listen to the airplane folks.

Hope this helps Rog, and good luck. Cheers. Peter
Old 03-27-2004, 10:52 AM   #33
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Rog,

Check out the thread titled. Finally Got Started.

In that thread Garry used the SS method and you may get some pointers there.

There were also other methods used and may give you some ideas.

Just remember, not matter how you decide to do it, it's a tough job !

Good luck and keep us updated with some pictures.
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Old 03-27-2004, 11:03 AM   #34

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Re: Short changing?

Quote:
Originally posted by austreampete
With all due respect-

This is a surprise. I wrote an e-mail to TT back in the end of the last "war" and he had my address, wrote back, and said that he was banned from here and that he had never even received payment on the bottles he had paid for to be shipped out.

p.s. I've misplaced his address- anyone know how to contact him?
I'm a little disturbed to hear that. I'm the one who shipped out the bottles TT paid for which he sold at less than his cost for everyone to have a chance to try it. Since he shipped them to me from his contact, I never got his home address to send a check to. He had my phone number and we talked on the phone, but I didn't have his. So after I sold them I repeatedly emailed him and never got a response. I certainly never intended not to pay him what he is owed, I just didn't have a way of getting a hold of him since he didn't answer his emails, and he hasn't tried to get a hold of me (he has my address, phone number, and email). I certainly did not try to stiff him, and I wouldn't want him telling people I did!

If anyone knows how to contact him please let me know as well.

Old 03-28-2004, 01:18 AM   #35
qqq
4 Rivet Member

Next time I go to the nudist beach in Saint Tropez I'll keep an eye open as I know he hangs around there, maybe he hooked up with Brigitte Bardot.

Hart
Old 03-28-2004, 01:26 AM   #36
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Quote:
Originally posted by qqq
Next time I go to the nudist beach in Saint Tropez I'll keep an eye open as I know he hangs around there
Just be sure to keep looking up if you find him
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Old 03-28-2004, 08:04 AM   #37
nds
3 Rivet Member

Re: Short changing?

Quote:
Originally posted by austreampete
With all due respect-

He hardly seemed to be a liar- the people that are here saying that SS doesn't work didn't follow his prescribed method of wet sanding, and used it "by hand" as the photos show, and as I've personally seen- it does work- very quickly, and easily.
I never understood the hostility that TT was met with when simply trying to provide an alternative. If his method or suggested product for polishing didn't appeal to everyone, donít do it . But, there's no reason to attack someone for suggesting what they feel is an easier or cheaper way to achieve the same end results.

I would think everyone would want to hear of alternative ways of doing things, then choose among them what they think is the best.

I suppose this could apply to suggestions on laying new floor coverings, upholstery, drapes, cabinets...

Be careful what you suggest....
Old 03-28-2004, 08:45 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Early in my apprenticeship I worked with an older mechanic, he was doing a job in a manner that looked way to involved to accomplish what seemed to me to be a simple task. Later I talked with my supervisor and explained how this fellow worker was going around his elbow to get to his thumb. I was told to watch him and learn how he was doing the job and that some of the methods that he was using would benefit me one day.
I feel the same way about polishing my trailer. I am going to find out all that I can and try several different methods before I commit. I have purchased the sample kit from nuvite and like the product. I have used "Mother's Polish" and found that it works excellent on my wheels but not a well on the trailer body. The only "Southern Shine" that I have used gave me a terrible headache and the after taste was horrible. I would not hesitate to try it and see how it works, then I would make my decision as to what process and product to use. Right now I am leaning heavily towards the Nuvite process.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Old 03-31-2004, 08:29 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Got mail from TT-

...not very happy with the way all this went.

In all fairness, the SS does just as he said, wet sanding works as he said- and is fully acceptable and performed at airports on aluminum, and he says he's out all the money that he spent to send the SS so that it could be tried. He had agreed to pay for the shipping but wanted his cost back, and says he's gotten nothing but a hard time and "knit-picking' as he called it.

Myself- I don't understand why people are asking for results when they were posted as photos before and after by 2 different people and now that he's been kicked off, people continue to attack him and say that he lied- I tried it and its much easier than what is described by the users of the "other" system.

He's extremely angry towards people from this group, and I get the feeling from what he says, he's not one to cross- he said Tim or Brad(?) could clarify- whatever that means.

I'm really glad to have the product- anyone else? Maybe we should take a collection and send him his money- he said it wasn't worth worrying about, but its principle, and I appreciate that the SS was introduced to us.
Old 03-31-2004, 10:18 AM   #40

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by austreampete
...not very happy with the way all this went.
Yeah, that's kind of an understatement.

[I had a long defense of myself here, but I decided to delete it because I relaly don't want to get into it about this guy. Sorry, I should have thought it out before I posted.]

Old 03-31-2004, 10:48 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

melbourne
Good day:
With all due respect- he did say that you were wanting to make money off it in the future, and that he never asked for a penny of profit, and was already willing to lose the shipping $ but wanted the line drawn there. He said there were 10 people who had contacted him regarding selling it, but chose you because you wanted to do it as a business. That being the case- I tend to believe him- he really never asked for anything- did he?

I distinctly remember him having over a dozen vintage trailers- doesn't sound like he cares about the change too much- he's more upset at the situation from the people who he proved wrong who pushed his buttons.

I'm not going to get in the middle of this- if you made a deal with him, you should probably honor it. Is it possible that you forgot- he was pretty sure of his offer that was described? Cheers. Peter
Old 03-31-2004, 11:08 AM   #42

1968 17' Caravel
I am trying to honor the deal we made. I kept careful records, and know how much we agreed on. He disagrees. I will pay him what I owe him. I don't think paying him the whole amount would make him any happier, at least the email he sent me certainly left no indication of that.

Closed Thread