Old 08-28-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
Yellow strip road paint removal??

Unfortunately, we had to pass over newly painted lines on a highway today. The yellow paint splattered up on the underside of the TV and Airstream, but the worst damage was done to the street-side rock guard. It is now speckled with bright yellow paint.

Does anyone know of a fool-proof means of removing this paint without removing the clear coat finish on the rock guard or the black trim along the edge of the trailer behind the wheels?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
You can try de-natured alcohol. The Rock guards are Stainless and should not be coated. Goo Gone has also be tried. The citrus may dis-color the stainless.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:40 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Dallas Center , Iowa
Mike;

Not saying any of this is fool proof but you may find it will work.

Try a plastic spoon to remove it. Chip away without damage to the gaurd. I think my guard is stainless steel and can take more abuse than the aluminum. I have always thought my guards had no clear coat on them but I don't know how to be sure. I have put the Walbernize on the guards and it was hard to get off. It got down in the grain/burnish of the steel. That sort of tells me there is no clear coat on mine.

I have used mineral spirits for tar and other stuff which worked great with no harm to the clear coat on my camper. I always dry off the mineral spirits then wash it off with soap and water rinse.

I have also used a Citrus-Gel stain remover. This works great for tar and sap but I have not tried to remove paint.

You might just need to paint them yellow.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
_

. , .
http://www.airforums.com/forums/413798-post7.html

red can will work betta'

blue stuff harder 2 find...

NO clear coat on the stainless segment protectors...

i use these regularly on all outer skin and glass...

cheers
2air'

and how cute an 'ad' for over spray removal at the page top!

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:36 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Had this happen to my wifes car once. I used regular car paste wax applied real thick and let it soften the paint for a while. Since - more than likely - there was dust and other coatings (wax, Walbernize, etc) under the new paint on the rock guards then maybe it won't stick. Goo Gone has also worked well.

Good Luck
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
A knife and other tools...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancy_boy
Had this happen to my wifes car once. I used regular car paste wax applied real thick and let it soften the paint for a while. Since - more than likely - there was dust and other coatings (wax, Walbernize, etc) under the new paint on the rock guards then maybe it won't stick. Goo Gone has also worked well.

Good Luck
Kudos to the contractor who supplied that yellow marker paint. It dries almost immediately and sticks like glue. Goo Gone had absolutely no impact on it. As you suggest, dust and dirt can be a good thing. Fortunately, we've come about 2,000 miles since the last washing, so the dirt has made the removal a bit easier. I've used a paring knife and flat-bladed screw driver on the rock guards, because the stainless steel has no clear coat as has been suggested. For fine detail work and for the droplets that got on the aluminum, I've had success with one of the tools with which we are born, namely fingernails.

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion" (coming soon)
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Mike, Motormite (HELP!) sells plastic razor blades, they don't scratch, and you don't tear your fingernails off. You can get them at most DIY-type auto parts stores, or auto paint supply stores. I knew when I read your post you were going to have trouble getting that paint off. The stuff they use here is heated in a vat, and when it is applied and cools, you can barely chip it off.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Mike, Motormite (HELP!) sells plastic razor blades, they don't scratch, and you don't tear your fingernails off. You can get them at most DIY-type auto parts stores, or auto paint supply stores. I knew when I read your post you were going to have trouble getting that paint off. The stuff they use here is heated in a vat, and when it is applied and cools, you can barely chip it off.
Strange! I had just the opposite results cleaning off white roadstriping spray early this summer. Once it had hardened - or after curing for a week or two because I couldn't get to it - a razor blade flicked it off the stone guards as easy as could be. Fortunately, not too much got on the aluminum skin but, what did, came off almost as easy using my fingernail. I'm sure that the DOTs have many different paint sources - but I'll bet that the formulations are similar. One thing that may have been in my favor is that the trailer was quite dusty from several hundred miles of towing before I encountered the paint. That said, I wonder if spraying the rock guards with silicon, or even WD40, before leaving home, might make cleanup easier. Good luck - but don't worry about it too much until you test different removal techniques.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 03:52 PM   #9

Halifax , Nova Scotia
I just had the same thing happen... its caked on pretty bad ( both front and back)

Im a bit weary of trying anything myself to remove it ; i dont want to damage the paint, or the wheel panel.

The city offered little help because i can not pin point the 'exact' spot in which it happened.

Any suggestions ??

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo6.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	108655  
Old 08-12-2010, 04:02 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind