Closed Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 12:48 PM   #29
Site Team

, Minnesota
Gee, maybe we should wait for the "Prince of the Forest" (Bambi's dad) to finish his testing before we judge the results.

Old 05-01-2005, 01:29 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

As far as cutting-

What I was told, and also makes sense is not to use heavy or strong cuuting compounds on Alclad 2024, as that revolving swirling pad is like a 36 grit piece of sandpaper and scours damage into the clad itself- if not remove it. That was the reasoning behind wet sanding it with light grit and working it back to smooth and ready for the green rouge. I would say that a red rouge compound would probably not be advised for the same reason.

Old 05-01-2005, 03:32 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
TravelCloud,

I plan on going over to see the Polishing Guru. He's says he'll show me his system.
If you have a great system, why don't you post a "How-to" on here?
Old 05-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #32
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Prince of the forest? Not sure I get it. I guess it has a Bambi reference or something. 10,000 comedians out of work and you tell a joke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Gee, maybe we should wait for the "Prince of the Forest" (Bambi's dad) to finish his testing before we judge the results.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:13 PM   #33
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
Prince of the forest? Not sure I get it. I guess it has a Bambi reference or something. 10,000 comedians out of work and you tell a joke!
Yeah, That was the name of Bambi's father, in the Disney movie.
http://users2.ev1.net/~disneyelvis/D...Characters.htm
Attached Images

Old 05-01-2005, 09:55 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Anxious to hear what 1 of the "gurus"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
TravelCloud,

I plan on going over to see the Polishing Guru. He's says he'll show me his system.
If you have a great system, why don't you post a "How-to" on here?
Actually says about it. I have gurus here to- there are probably hundreds of polishing shops around the country- no, I'd guess thousands.

I have a good idea of several ways to do it- when I get time. depending on how much I want to spend, but the way NOT to do it is the cyclo and nuvite as I've been pushed to and ridiculed for exposing as a long and drawn out damaging way to treat your skin...

I'm not exactly the "seminar" or guru type, just think if a few hundred people are allowed to exercise their minds about something without fear of being exiled- something positive will arise. The "gurus" here have done it for a long time. They are using buffers- not drums, but the work is top notch

I will, WHEN I do it, make sure its documented here- not a how to, just to share what happens with what I choose. I'm doing a whole lot of research because I saw a guy with a Globetrotter try one thing, that wore him out- got into another, didn't come out as nice, finished with a third system, so his whole trailer looks like its splotchy and uneven. I want mine nice and smooth and it doesn't even have to be perfect, just better. To prove a point though- I may just make it nicer- still giving the Spec system a bit of thought. Does this irrational thinking of buying one, renting a compressor, and getting the time savings to justify it make sense to anyone else here?
Old 05-01-2005, 10:17 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
LOL! That's hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane
Yeah, That was the name of Bambi's father, in the Disney movie.
http://users2.ev1.net/~disneyelvis/D...Characters.htm
Old 05-01-2005, 10:25 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Travel Cloud is a polishing Trekie?

Look, I'm all about what works the best and the cheapest. I jumped in and got the stuff with only the threads that I could find on here to help me. So far, the trailer is looking pretty good. I was away from the project for a bout 4 days or I'd probably be close to done. I seem to move pretty quickly once I get started each day.

I don't think there is any conspiracy here, though. I just think that once something is said, it is sometimes taken for granted as the final word. Like the acid bath claim that it ruins the seams and causes leaks. I know people who have used the acid bath, but I don't know anyone who has had leaky seams because of it. Yet, people claim as if it is fact that your seams will be ruined. Guys have been using it on airplanes since the 50's. Maybe there is someone who ruined thier seams. I don't know. Maybe it was leaky in the first place?

When I get over to see the guru, I will try his method and then share it with everyone. I'm not out to make a dime, just make friends here. Till then, I will try the other polishes and keep moving along.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:06 AM   #37
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Tampa Bay , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64 Send a message via Skype™ to thenewkid64
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelCloud
I have a good idea of several ways to do it- when I get time. depending on how much I want to spend, but the way NOT to do it is the cyclo and nuvite as I've been pushed to and ridiculed for exposing as a long and drawn out damaging way to treat your skin...
Please link to where this system that HAS BEEN used by members of this forum has damaged the skin of their trailers. If it is one that you have seen in person, do you know if they did it according to the directions, or does one messed up trailer mean that anyone that uses nuvite, etc is messing up their trailer as well.

Quote:
I'm not exactly the "seminar" or guru type, just think if a few hundred people are allowed to exercise their minds about something without fear of being exiled- something positive will arise.
The ONLY member that has been banned regarding this is one that refused to back up his claims and continued to berate the membership.

This is your one and only warning, not that I have to give you one, and I will do it in public. If you continue to beat this drum and stir this issue up while making false or misleading statements like the one above you will also be banned.

Quote:
I will, WHEN I do it, make sure its documented here- not a how to, just to share what happens with what I choose. ........... Does this irrational thinking of buying one, renting a compressor, and getting the time savings to justify it make sense to anyone else here?
This is what the forum is about, helping each other. Yes try it. Let us all know how it works. Make it so shiny that we all get a sunburn off it. Bashing all the other methods just because you think you have found a better way is not productive. Show us it is better so we can say thanks for saving us time and effort.

Please feel free to contact me off line regarding this issue if you wish.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

Old 05-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #38
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
well stated. This thread ended up being more about trashing the user and his methods and then suggesting something helpful..Polishing is something that while it is hard work it brings its own rewards in the final product.
How you get there is strictly your own business. And don't delude yourself about the mineral spirits and rouge mixture. I have used some of that and it was fair at best.
Meanwhile you can brwose here in the Forum pages and se many photos of highly polished trailers and motorhomes using the tried and true products and methods.
The main method being hard work.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 05-02-2005, 09:16 AM   #39
2 Rivet Member

What I said-

Was that using a rough compound of ANY sort on a rotational or revolutionary buffer, will cause deeper scratches, and put them on my trailer in multiple directions, which is very hard to polish out. Using a jitterbug would give the same effect, and using coarser sandpaper will also make it worse. I think its a poor choice, I have talked to people who do this for a living and have seen their results, and they stated that the reason SOME systems take longer, is adding scratches to use products that they sell. Wet sand paper is cheap, does the same, and I have no evidence that its wrong.

I'll do mine with wet sand paper. Maybe I'll be the only Airstream owner that does, but not the only person...
Old 05-02-2005, 11:10 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Think It Might Be Time To Close This Thread ...any Other Opinions? Or Is It Still of Interest To Anyone?
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 05-02-2005, 11:20 AM   #41
Site Team

, Minnesota
It seems to be getting a little repetititous.

. . . but maybe that's what polishing is.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:25 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD
Think It Might Be Time To Close This Thread ...any Other Opinions? Or Is It Still of Interest To Anyone?

Close it. As originator of the post I got what I was after. Shame that it had to blow up into all of this other nonsense....

Closed Thread