Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 05:14 PM   #15
Site Team

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitnMiss

Where can I learn more about the different "colors" of rouge? Does the color simply indicate the grit?

Thanks much

Flicka
I think the color indicates what it's made out of. For example, iron oxide(rust) is the base material for red (French, rouge=red). I think the white is made from aluminum oxide. I don't know about the green, maybe it's made out of algae.

Actually green is chromium oxide. If I remember my spectra correctly, there is a chrome green.

Old 04-29-2005, 05:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
I had never heard of this "rouge" before.
Where can I learn more about the different "colors" of rouge? Does the color simply indicate the grit?

Thanks much

Flicka
TravelCloud dug a terrific source for this out of the dumpster www.sattexcorp.com

Old 04-29-2005, 05:53 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
However I have never read or even imagined that any of the forum "Bosses" were in the polish business. If they are it would be enlightening, are you aware that any of them are?
Assuming that they are not, it is mind boggling to me why trailer polishing is at all a contencious subject. It's certainly a mystery to me.[img]images/smilies/confused.gif[/img]
Trust me we're not "in the polish business", we are just hobbists like most members on this forum.

As far as polishing threads getting contencious...it happens every spring. The only time these posts are editted or deleted is when some members won't allow others to 'agree to disagree' and they resort to personal attacks. Why can't people just 'agree to disagree'? Come to a rally and compare notes...we do several times a year with polishing demos at maintenance rallies & the VAC rallies - side by side.

I've (for the most part) tried to stay out of this discussion...but as a side note, I have been a hobbist jeweler for over 25 years and have used some of my polishing rouges (red & green) on our trailer...no, I didn't crush it up & dilute it with liquid in a blender. But I have used them, the same way I use them with silver & gold, on our window frames & door jambs...my personal opinion is that it has it's places that it makes sense...but for the overall polish job, it's not for me. It's too hard to remove from the aluminum and you can easily scratch the areas just polished in trying to remove it. Basically it's a clay-like material that hardens when it dries out....a mess around rivets! And aluminum is much softer than silver and gold, not to mention the micro-thin alclad layer which is even softer than the base aluminum or the old 40's & 50's aluminum, which was solid.

I have seen trailers polished with rouge and they look just as nice as many of the other products that have been discussed....you just need to decide what works for you & your trailer. We had some very baddly pitted areas on the front that made sense to wet sand and a panel that had been replaced (PO) that reacted very differently to both the stripping & polishing techniques on other panels.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 04-29-2005, 06:47 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Dave, a word of caution when using polishing agents containing ammonia. I used Brasso to polish my clearance light bases before I read somewhere that the ammonia in Brasso was not good for aluminum. Perhaps that's the reason Brasso says "not for use on aluminum" on the can. Anyway, the clearance lite bases corroded almost immediately, but this time much worse than before. After 3 or 4 polishings with SS all the ammonia residue is gone and the aluminum bases are finally acting like the rest of the exposed aluminum on my trailer. This is not to bash the product from HEB, just a word of caution!
Old 04-29-2005, 07:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson
Dave, a word of caution when using polishing agents containing ammonia. I used Brasso to polish my clearance light bases before I read somewhere that the ammonia in Brasso was not good for aluminum. Perhaps that's the reason Brasso says "not for use on aluminum" on the can. Anyway, the clearance lite bases corroded almost immediately, but this time much worse than before. After 3 or 4 polishings with SS all the ammonia residue is gone and the aluminum bases are finally acting like the rest of the exposed aluminum on my trailer. This is not to bash the product from HEB, just a word of caution!
Thanks, Bob! That's another one we can strike from the list! Fortunately I have a fair amount of brass around the home that could stand some polishing, so at least the remaining 7.999 ounces will be put to good use (was an 8 oz. bottle).

I do remember Blue Magic smelling a little like Brasso, several months back. Alan, you're using Blue Magic - do you get that impression, too?

Old 04-29-2005, 10:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by coriolis1
Thanks, Bob! That's another one we can strike from the list! Fortunately I have a fair amount of brass around the home that could stand some polishing, so at least the remaining 7.999 ounces will be put to good use (was an 8 oz. bottle).

I do remember Blue Magic smelling a little like Brasso, several months back. Alan, you're using Blue Magic - do you get that impression, too?

Maybe Blue Magic has ammonia too, and it's why they add silicone to it - to protect the metal after polishing?

Old 04-30-2005, 05:35 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

That SS must work well!

Searched it out here and MAN! What a war over that revelation! The hare hare Nuvite krishnas were pounding that one into the dirt fast and hard!

Seriously- who cares about what is used by who, if anyone out there knows a way to get it done and wants to post it up here and suggest people use the knowledge to make life easier, DO IT! I also see that large expense of over priced rouge as fuel for my truck to travel somewhere- i.e., if I can make my trailer shine faster and easier for $100 worth of supplies, rather than buying special slow moving cyclos and a compound that costs more than caviar for $700, that $600 puts enough fuel in my tank to drive cross country and back, and also the way these airport guys do it in less than a week- I have the time to do it!

Something is not right out there when you suggest something- just a suggestion that you've seen happen in person, and you have these posters harrassing you- "did you do it?" and "talk is cheap Airstreams are expensive" and all this from people who are not pro's, have done only one trailer, took months and 4 to 5 times the hour count to do it- and talk of all the advice they have to give at their pretend trailer polishing seminars...

This is a free country, and if I choose to explore the options and choose to listen to a pro BEFORE I DO IT, thats my choice, and I still have the right to choose.

If I decide to wet sand with 800, 1200, 1500 grit paper, followed by green and then white home made rouge based compound on 3M pads of varying coarseness on a high speed buffer- its my choice, and I've seen it happen, not only quickly but with a great finish by pro's- my choice if I want to listen and follow their recipe, and its CHEAP!

If someone chooses to invest money in a drum polishing system, Airmark or Spec, and rent a compressor, use whatever polish or make their own- the time savings are impressive, the finish appears to be the best, and its a very realistic option which based on paying yourself a fair wage- saves thousands in the process.

If you choose, or previously chose, to use a very slow machine from a 1940's design, combine it with a seriously damaging compounding process that removes alclad and adds multi directional swirls which take a hundred more hours to remove- please don't ridicule folks who DON"T want to follow you on that path. If you don't see the difference, if the hours and expense are what you wanted to deal with- it was YOUR choice! Live with it, die with it, but PLEASE don't stop others from having open minds and exploring- you only hurt your credibilty as a reasonable human being!

DON'T TRY AND CONTROL THOUGHT AND MENTAL FREEDOM- THE GOV'T AND MEDIA HAS A STRONGHOLD ON THAT- YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT!

Also- I'm not pushing any one product- I only think that the ones who drive these expensive products so diligently up everyones derriere are up to something! SS, white diamonds, flitz, many lesser expensive products will work- maybe some are messy, but they're ALL made from ROUGE!
Old 04-30-2005, 09:04 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
I used the SS again yesterday. I just doesn't cut for me. Might be great for other projects that I have, though. Motorcycle wheeels, etc. We'll see.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:39 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
I used the SS again yesterday. I just doesn't cut for me. Might be great for other projects that I have, though. Motorcycle wheeels, etc. We'll see.
Your trailer is 2024 Alclad aluminum.

SS seems to be made from green rouge.

If you use it as directed, and polish it with the proper pads, it should work as any green rouge product would. If not, possibly you need a white rouge product or a change of pad or a buffer.

What tools did you try it with? One person was bad mouthing what the product would do after an "I rubbed it by hand in the size of a quarter" and thats pretty ridiculous.

I can't see how it works SO well for a few people, and a guy says he rubs it by hand and then tries to say that nuvite and a cyclo are the only way to go. It looks like he then went on a month and half rampage of polishing his buddies trailer, with the same result as what I saw in a week with home made polish from rouge bars.

If you have unopened cans of nuvite and a new cyclo, I'd give it a serious try- or make your own and send the stuff back or Ebay it all- the savings of time are alone worth it.

What stage are you in? Scouring the multi directional swirls in with the coarse nuvite? That should be replaced by wet sanding according to the professionals I spoke with, and should avert the upcoming disaster of having to use the many grades and remove the swirling damage...

Its really amazing...
Old 04-30-2005, 10:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I've used SS as well. It's not bad, but I have not seen anyone (including myself) get a good mirror shine with it, without spending at least as much time as they would have with the established products like Nuvite. Without spending the time, SS seems to leave a "cloudy" finish that is very noticeable in bright sunlight.

Old 04-30-2005, 05:48 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
man this thread reminds me of a 60's flashback. It wanders and meanders quite a bit. But polishing is a subject, like wearing of seatbelts by passengers in motorhomes, or riding with the LP gas on for the fridge that sparks many opinions....maybe too many.
But at least its a fun topic.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
Old 04-30-2005, 09:25 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Perhaps-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rluhr
I've used SS as well. It's not bad, but I have not seen anyone (including myself) get a good mirror shine with it, without spending at least as much time as they would have with the established products like Nuvite. Without spending the time, SS seems to leave a "cloudy" finish that is very noticeable in bright sunlight.
The problem is that its green, i.e., if its not smooth or fine enough its not going to mirror up, or if the pad used is not smooth enough- terry cloth is abrasive. Maybe white compound and a softer pad would make a difference.

The other thing could be what you started with- if you didn't wet sand it down to a good clean skin, as the rough nuvite would do but without the swirls and damage, maybe that didn't enable the skin to shine.

I seriously fail to see where nuvite is "established" in any other industry other than trailers. Its a cottage business at best, and I'm sure that in comparison to real players like Mothers and Flitz, their market share is minute. They're obviously doing well financially considering the price- a little ($8) rouge and some mineral spirits- or what ever carrier liquid they're mixing the rouge with, and voila- 40 tiny tubs of $50 polish! Easiest $2000 I've heard of- but my guess is that they're giving some away to people with trailers and handing out cyclos free, to garner such support for something that takes so long and costs so much...

Seriously rluhr, its a bit odd that it wouldn't work for you if its made from the same stuff- I'd say if you adjust you're technique a bit, maybe its going to come out as well and faster. I know it can be done- I've seen it and rouge was green- the residue and some splatter was still on it to prove that. The threads I saw were saying that it cost about $4 a bottle? Pretty cheap, but if its not fine enough or prepped right, the results won't be as good as 150 hours with 4 steps- try hitting it with the white rouge- maybe white diamonds after it on a soft pad or foam pad...
Old 05-01-2005, 10:23 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
TravelCloud

I'm not bad mouthing the product. It just doesn't cut like the Nuvite. I am using it just like I use the Nuvite. Like I said, it might be great for other projects, so I'm not in a hurry to get rid of it.

I'm going to do a side by side with Heavy Metal Polish, SS and Nuvite and take pics.
Old 05-01-2005, 12:24 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi's Dad
TravelCloud

I'm not bad mouthing the product. It just doesn't cut like the Nuvite. I am using it just like I use the Nuvite. Like I said, it might be great for other projects, so I'm not in a hurry to get rid of it.

I'm going to do a side by side with Heavy Metal Polish, SS and Nuvite and take pics.
Remember the systems are different, as are the tools. If you use one that has specific characteristics, such as speed and a coarse pad for a green rouge based polish, followed by a soft pad and white rouge polish- try that on your little drill pad and have part of it not working properly, and the results won't be there. Its easy to see from past posts and threads that people have wanted things to work and some to not- as well as hiring themselves out for work and amateur polishing services.

I'll tell you up front- I'll expect that since you seem heavily invested in cyclo and nuvite products, I can expect that you're leaning that way. I would be leaning against it- I would NOT be objective, as I've researched a different method that is MUCH less expensive, sure seems a lot faster, and has equal or better results. Thats being honest and not to offend you.

I still stand by the drum polishers and renting a compressor to do the best job, with the most efficiency, and have the least money in comparison to "the way" as is pumped here...

I believe flyfisher said that he thought that SS stuff was better in some cases than nuvite, and he seems pretty objective about it- perhaps a wet sanding on his trouble spots or change in tools/pads would make a difference in his final result, but being that they are all made of rouge- it should all work well. Some just cost less.