Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Which polisher?

I see that most use a Dewalt or Makita polisher then for final polish use the Cyclo. Any of you used others that I have not considered? I think I have even read where some have used a variable drill. Would love to hear experiences. The Cylco I have decided on, it's the initial polisher I need to figure out.

Thanks
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I use a Chicago polisher/sander from Harbor Frieght. Cheap! I have also used a drill with a sander pad. I liked the larger polisher much better and used the smaller drill/polisher for tight places. My problem is 'tracking' by whatever I use. I clean with mineral spirits and use as little Nuvite as possible. The Cyclo does a nice finish, then I step back, and notice just where the polishers tracked.......
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1976 25' Tradewind
Erie , Pennsylvania
I used the dewalt polisher. I liked due to the variable speed control. I found that some areas just needed a different speed. I also used the cyclo. You can buy second hand polishers on ebay for a fraction of the new price.
rollingbubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 04:35 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Pittsford , Michigan
I don't think the type of polisher matters to much, but don't skimp on the wool pads and compound. I started off with compound and pads from NAPA and that was a huge mistake. Get Nuvite Polish. I started with F9, to G6, to S. 3M wool pads cost a little more but cut much better.
"part of the "Forbidden Wheels Clubhouse Recon Team"

"Toast is a tool. It ain't Breakfast!"
Airdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We have a cyclo...but could not compete with the kits ($$), so...but cyclo does have two hard rubber caps that are hoop and latch and to install them you just flip them onto the rotating heads (turned off) the cons about this is the hard rubber attachments are built in a way (you will see) where the hoop part is kind of suspended on a hard rubber column beneath and the cyclos incredible polishing will cause a break in the rubber after awhile...so when or if you do go this route, super glue will anchor it. Lastly we use gravel in a bottle by 3M and apply it with clean terry cloth polish pads from a local dollar store. The Cyclo will do three times the polishing action of the others and since this all is labor intensive you are assured of great end results, we also finish out with Mothers mag and aluminum and this system seems to do the same resulting job as the top 'higher priced' nuvite etc products. The hard rubber attachments cost twenty dollars. But by all means try the Gravel in a bottle as 14.00 for a whole wonderful quart is greatly satisfying . Good luck!
Old 10-09-2009, 08:14 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
I used a drill motor for the F7 on our 31' and wouldn't recommend that. I used gear oil daily (each day used) which helps keep the drill working but I still went through 2 old motors (on their last leg anyway) and 1 new drill motor which died on the last 10' sq. ft. before I was done. If I were to F7 another 31' with 30 years buildup, I would buy an actual polisher. If you decide to go with drill motor, make sure it has a speed adjustment set so it isn't based on how hard you pull the trigger and make sure you get one with the mountable side handle so you can control it better.
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

San Diego , California
I do this 4 a living get a dewalt
got polish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Thumbs up Mikita

Makita
is lighter
handle is more comfortable.
variable speed knob is easier to reach.
Lowest RPM is slower then Dewalt.
not as loud as Dewalt.

did I mention it is lighter?....

Usually comes with nice tool bag, which is very handy.

I have used both.

I prefer Makita.
safari62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Greenville , South Carolina
Exactly the type of feedback I was hoping for, thanks.
SilverHoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 02:08 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Get the one from Harbor Freight usually on sale for $29 and toss it once you are finished.

Works just as good as the more expensive ones, it might not last as long but does the job.
Old 10-13-2009, 02:34 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Thumbs down Just buy junk and toss it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
Get the one from Harbor Freight usually on sale for $29 and toss it once you are finished.

Works just as good as the more expensive ones, it might not last as long but does the job.
This this just SO wrong. And they do not work as well.

The harbor freight is just another cheap tool. What is the logic to buying junk and then filling up the landfill?

I have owned my Mikita eight years and anyone that has done this knows it's not a one time thing. It's a many times thing.

Why bother with an Airstream and polishing. Just buy a white box and drive it to the landfill after a year of camping.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Great point ! There's already too much imported cheap crap in the landfills. Buy something of value and when you don't need it anymore, at least you can sell it. Junk is junk, even if it does last a little while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari62 View Post
This this just SO wrong. And they do not work as well.

The harbor freight is just another cheap tool. What is the logic to buying junk and then filling up the landfill?

I have owned my Mikita eight years and anyone that has done this knows it's not a one time thing. It's a many times thing.

Why bother with an Airstream and polishing. Just buy a white box and drive it to the landfill after a year of camping.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 06:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
To each his own I bought one about 5 years ago for $29 polished a 31ft AS and have used it for many projects since and it is still going strong.

I suspect you have never owned one and YES they do work just as good and I have used both.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:54 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Severna Park , Maryland
I have the Porter Cable orbital...will that work or do I need a straight-up angle buffer/grinder to initial cut? I've see the Cyclo but am not sure what its for...is it better for cutting or fine polishing?
MDSilverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
The orbital will take a long time for the initial cut I would think. The Cyclo is a dual head industrial polisher. The heads don't spin by power, they wobble by power, spin freely. It is used for the fine polish to get the final mirror finish, won't work for the initial cut at all. I got a Cyclo for the Nuvite S fine cuts and used a drill motor for the F7 (and in places C) but, like I said up there, the drill motor was hell on a 31'.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:21 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
1963 16' Bambi
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry View Post
To each his own I bought one about 5 years ago for $29 polished a 31ft AS and have used it for many projects since and it is still going strong.

I suspect you have never owned one and YES they do work just as good and I have used both.
Hi garry
That sounds like a better plan. Sorry to get my blood pressure elevated, but it sounded like the tool was only used for one job and tossed. I just do not understand the throw away mentality if there is a way to make things last. (like Airstreams)

I have heard a few comments about the HF product and they were known for short life spans.

Lasting five years with a big trailer is a good thing. Just think how much more nuvite you were able to buy!
Gary with one r
Old 10-27-2009, 01:27 AM   #17

1956 18' "Footer"
west milford , New Jersey
Send a message via Yahoo to jeoiii
harbor freight polisher , junk !, broke before i ever got to polish the trailer. buy a quality tool , will always server you well and finish result.as well as the wear and tear on you body
jeoiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 05:09 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Habor freight tools are junk usually made in China. We've ruined the the industrail base of this country by our addiction to cheap imported everything. Yea, American made costs more but you may be keeping your neighabor employed. I try to buy products made in the U.S. first, no matter what it is and I never shop at Walmart. Walmarts pedatory practices have done more harm to small town business than any company in the history of the world and Harbor Freight has the same business model.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote