Old 11-02-2007, 02:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
You can strip and polish an Argosy. However, the front & back top end caps are steel, not aluminum so those have to be painted.

Some claim that the aluminum panels used on Argosy's were different amluminum or 'seconds', but they do still polish.

Check this out: The Polishing Guru Past Projects - first two pictures

BTW...welcome to the Forums!

Vintage Airstream Club - Past President 2007/2008
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 03:06 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
yuma , Arizona
Originally Posted by Streamin 65
I'm not an authority on all model years, but 1965's can certainly be polished to a mirror. Be prepared to spend numerous hours and $$$ for the polish and equipment. The results are well worth it. --dave
awesome polish job. this is ours after about a month and half. Still have a ways to go.Click image for larger version

Name:	042308_11571.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	60017

themunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:49 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member
Once a year polish

I live 3 or 4 miles from the Gulf of Mexico and a block from the bayou. I only polish once a year in the the Spring. I have used Nufinish car wax for years after I complete the Nuvite polishing but I'm not sure it helps. I wash and dry the Airstream after each trip before putting it up. And I have been seen drying it after a rain at a CG.

The Airstream is still shiny and would be so for at least 3 or 4 years w/o any polishing. I polish each year because it becomes an addiction to get the perfect mirror shine. And every time I polish it gets better.

All of this is to say polishing is not that large of a burden, especially if you don't become obsessed with perfection.

Below is our unpolished (since last Spring) Airstream at The Mystic Springs Vintage Rally in mid April.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	msvin08.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	397.9 KB
ID:	60033  
bjond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:55 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In
Keeping a polished Airstream shiny, depends on the environment that it's exposed to.

If it's near salt water, then waxing it every "week" is the usual, instead of the exception.

A highly polished Airstream is "very high" maintenance, again depending on it's location.

I have kept our '65 Caravel polished for about six years now. We have a home near Sacramento in the Delta town of Walnut Grove, and a condo in Laguna Woods, Orange County. When kept at our northern home, where we are over 60 miles from the ocean and the air is nice, the Caravel retains it's mirror finish very well. Polishing once a year works. When at our condo in Laguna Woods, we are 6.5 miles from the ocean and up the hill from a sewage treatment plant. Keeping a shine is on-going like painting the Golden Gate Bridge. Between outings, I pick the panel that looks the worst and polish it up.

Jim Foster is online now   Reply With Quote