Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
Hail on wheels

1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
When I polish I am getting black residue

I have removed the clear oat and I am now polishing. I am using a buffer and white diamond polish. I am getting black residue from the start. Should I continue or stop polishing. I have a lot of oxidation. I have been stopping and then washing with water and starting again. What am I doing wrong?
Old 09-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
black residue means it's working and that you've successfully removed the clear coat. Continue through it. Let the pad to the work... assume you're using a wool pad? Less is more when polishing, you don't need to load up the pad.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 PM   #3
Hail on wheels

1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
black residue means it's working and that you've successfully removed the clear coat. Continue through it. Let the pad to the work... assume you're using a wool pad? Less is more when polishing, you don't need to load up the pad.
I am using a terry cloth cover on my buffer. Wrong??
Old 09-25-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Hi....I think you should stop and read some polishing threads here on the Forums. You will wear yourself to a frazzle the way you seem to be going.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Yes. Assuming you're using a 7" angle grinder type polisher, run over to Harbor Freight and grab some of their tuffer buffer wool pads. I bought like 5 or 6. Then put about a nickel sized amount of polish on the pad, apply it to the trailer and spread it out just a bit before turning it on.

I'll say this: that stuff works well, especially for touch ups, but because of it's liquidity, it makes a HUGE mess. It's also cost prohibitive unless you have a hook up. Look into the NuVite line of paste polishes. They're worth their weight in aluminum.
Old 09-25-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
GeGe...like others have said...switch to wool bonnets. If you are using one of the inexpensive car buffers like they sell at Walmart, that will not get through the aluminum oxide on your trailer. You will need, at a minimum, a rotary polisher that can be had at places like Harbor Freight for under $50. Velcro wool bonnets work great. As far as washing...water will not help. Your buffing pad should take most of the black off; but, you will have to clean your pad with a pad rake to keep it from getting caked up. Between a second buffing you will notice some black residue on your trailer...especially around the rivets. This should be cleaned with mineral spirits or corn starch. Then rebuff if needed.

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:41 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1969 25' Tradewind
1971 18' Caravel
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
Yep, there are a lot of good ideas on the polishing threads and a lot of folks with good advice and techniques.

Here is just one example of a technique. This is part 3 assuming you have prepped the surface....

FYI - all 5 parts to this video series are on youtube

Res nolunt diu male administrari.

WDCU Unit #170
Air #7085

TAC VA-4
WBCCI #2641
VAC
71 Caravel
69 Tradewind

My YouTube Channel
TWaugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I just started using the White diamond, and yes - after shaking the bottle you kind of have to be careful where your aiming it or it will burp and splatter onto places you don't want it. It will also spit when you snap the lid shut. I am using a car buffer with a wool pad but I am now interested in the Harbor freight pads. With our 70' model- I think I polished it about five years ago, and am now doing it again. With the White D, you can almost do a small area (1 foot) and then hand polish it to a shine...but you can see the oxidation being polished back into the surface, or at least thats what it seems like to me. So I will wipe up last with Kerosene (not thinner)...Thinner will really dry out or burn your skin to a certain degree... whereas Kerosene stays supple longer and does the same thing if not better than thinner and is not as harsh...plus it is cheaper by the gallon. Wipe that black stuff away and keep polishing and good luck.
Also with the White D I seem to be coming out with more of a swirled finish as can be seen in the suns reflection.
Old 09-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
When you graduate from the rotary polisher the only thing that really removes the swirls is a cyclo polisher. Polishing is the "gift that keeps on giving..."

Bob
Indiana, PA

TAC PA-5
WBCCI 4871
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:51 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
yes... the polishing work never ends if the trailer is stored outside.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:29 AM   #11
ALUMINUM OBSSESSION

1993 34' Limited
Hamilton , Ontario
If you go on U-tube, there is a site that shows you how to polish your Airstream. Search (How to polish Airstream) It's real good!!
william Haym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Vintage Trailer Supply also has a fairly good document available online about polishing.

Lynn
Old 09-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Hail on wheels

1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWaugh View Post
Yep, there are a lot of good ideas on the polishing threads and a lot of folks with good advice and techniques.

Here is just one example of a technique. This is part 3 assuming you have prepped the surface....

FYI - all 5 parts to this video series are on youtube

Thanks so much. Learned a lot by watching all the videos. I learned I was doing it all wrong. This is a big help. Ths
Old 09-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #14
Hail on wheels

1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
Thanks so much for everyone's advice. Headed to harbor freight
Old 09-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeGe View Post
make sure you get the extended warranty. FYI i went through 2 of them within 3-4 hours of polishing. I ended up buying a Dewalt...
Old 09-30-2013, 06:56 PM   #16
Hail on wheels

1992 25' Excella
Little Elm , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post

make sure you get the extended warranty. FYI i went through 2 of them within 3-4 hours of polishing. I ended up buying a Dewalt...
Good call. Where did you get your Dewalt
Old 10-01-2013, 01:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Good call. Where did you get your Dewalt
amazon

DEWALT DWP849X 7-Inch/9-Inch Variable Speed Polisher with Soft Start - Amazon.com
Old 10-01-2013, 02:25 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
Here is a link to the excellent instructions from Vintage Trailer Supply.

Thumbs up on the Dewalt 849, I bought one and it has been great.

I got my wool pads from Vintage Trailer Supply (just sayin' not knocking Harbor Freight)

You will likely want to get a Cyclo for the final finish. I use pre-cut jersey (sweatshirt) material over foam pads on the Cyclo. I can't remember where on the net I bought them though. Of course you can by the material and cut it yourself.

I have been using various types of Nuvite on my '99 Safari and have been happy with the results. Just bear in mind that it goes slow and will take many hours. Also, bear in mind that on your '92 you won't get (just like me) the super mirror finish like the older trailers that have Alclad Aluminum, but it will still polish up very nicely. Note also that the end caps will not polish out as much the sides.

See the attachments for a couple of pics....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'99 Airstream.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	196854   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up at Rocky Gap Spring 2013.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	233.1 KB
ID:	196855  

AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries

KC3MAP

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 07:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryano View Post
For the record, I have a $30 HF polisher that I bought the $5 warranty on because I read a few threads saying I'd need it. Turns out I've polished my 31' AS, my 22' boat (twice) and lent it to several people with no issues at all. YMMV
Old 10-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylormade View Post
For the record, I have a $30 HF polisher that I bought the $5 warranty on because I read a few threads saying I'd need it. Turns out I've polished my 31' AS, my 22' boat (twice) and lent it to several people with no issues at all. YMMV
I am just saying to get the extended warranty. Some have had success like you and others like me havent