Old 04-01-2005, 02:39 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
Is it All or Nothing?

Our trailer was cleaned up and re-clearcoated in 2001 and overall it's still in pretty good shape. But there is a small round spot on the front top where an old WB decal was removed (or peeled off with the clearcoat) and a few very minor spots where the clearcoat is starting to come off. We're thinking the current finish still has a few more years left and then we'll want to do a full stripping and polishing. But I'm wondering, is it possible to just polish up the spots to try to match the rest for now? or is it best to leave it splotchy until we can do it all?

InsideOut - your polishing page is nice!! The pictures are really helpful to understanding the process. Wish I lived in that dry, sunny climate you have.

Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:01 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
Yeah, I love the page that Inside-out made - I've printed it out and intend to use it as a guide when I get started.

Safari Tim, how did you get around the individual "A I R S T R E A M" letters when you stripped and polished?

Old 04-01-2005, 04:20 PM   #31
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I took mircofiber cloth and wrapped it around a narrow 3M sponge along the narrow side.

Then a took a small dab of polish is did it by hand between the letters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Safari Tim, how did you get around the individual "A I R S T R E A M" letters when you stripped and polished?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Post Thanks for the kudos guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyg
Wow Shari! Thanks for the website update. What a beautiful job. We're waiting for decent weather to tackle our '78 31' Sovereign. I know it is going to be a HUGE job, but photos such as yours are real incentive and show us our goal. Thanks again. Gale
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjamie
InsideOut - your polishing page is nice!! The pictures are really helpful to understanding the process. Wish I lived in that dry, sunny climate you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferroequine
Yeah, I love the page that Inside-out made - I've printed it out and intend to use it as a guide when I get started.
Makes the time spent documenting & building the site rewarding ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 05:24 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Man it sure came in fast, NOW it's buffin time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02606.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	11259  
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2005, 02:56 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
I'm thinking of using RemoveAll 220 to strip our trailer. Has anyone else used this product?
Old 05-07-2005, 07:31 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Hello everyone. I'm new to the group and just purchased a '75 Excella 500. What an awesome A/S. Like many of the people on this forum the clear coat is on its last leg and I was curious about the equipment that is needed. Some posts say to use a low speed buffer, while others use high speed versions.

More importantly, where do I start in stripping the clearcoat and what stripper has everyone used?
Old 05-07-2005, 10:25 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
I have started the stripping and polishing process this weekend, and just managed to start a new thread about it (after about 10 tries).

Read the new thread here
Old 05-08-2005, 05:16 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
This is as good as anywhere to post a note
to let everybody know I have finally
updated our website with a
Stripping & Polishing section.

Enjoy!

Shari
Shari..
Nice addition to your website~!
Brought back memories, which means I've gotta do the same thing again..lol
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 08:14 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
1963 22' Safari
Troy , Michigan
1975 23' Safari
Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 38 Well, I'm taking the plunge and am going to order some tubs of Nuvite and a Cyclo polisher.

So, how many 1 lb tubs of Nuvite F7, C and S polish do you guys think I might need?

PLEASE try G6 your going to need it, I started with F7 and my trailer looked pretty good before polishing, the G6 brings up a consistant mirror shine! I spent over 40 hours and tried many polish techniques before settling on the F6, when I ran out I said I'll try G6, WOW what a differance,better consistant results in LESS TIME! Not all panals are the same, some you can get by with F7, some with C. I had one panal where I used the cyclo and foam pads with F7 and it came out GREAT, next panal I tried cyclo, went back to compound and it never came out good till I went with G6. All Trailers are different but the sweatshirt method seems to come out the winner! I think cyclo polishing in the future will be quick. I hope I'm right
Good Luck
Paul
1997 34' Classic FK
airstream4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 04:52 PM   #39

Help
Maybe I'm jumping into the middle here and shouldn't be. I just don't know where to turn.
I've had my 31' 1974 International for almost two years and have not yet begun to polish (we've been at a campsite); however, I'm in a pickle b/c I've agreed for the unit to be used in a publicity shoot for a clothing line and when the unit was moved by the tow truck driver, he scratched the side (with tree branches, not deep, my partner tells me). Long story short, now I have to do something and I'm pressed for time; the shoot is in two weeks time.

I'm confused about the steps. Do I understand correctly?
1) When I use the RemovaLL 210/220 compound, and let it sit for a couple of hours and spray off with water...is it shiny?
2) Or do I have to then start the polishing with Nuvite or whatever (the 140 hour job)?

I would imagine that if we just try to polish out the scratches, we'll have spots big time?

Any ideas for a quick temp fix or should I just plan to get at it?
Old 05-10-2005, 05:29 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by danette smith
Help
I'm confused about the steps. Do I understand correctly?
1) When I use the RemovaLL 210/220 compound, and let it sit for a couple of hours and spray off with water...is it shiny?
2) Or do I have to then start the polishing with Nuvite or whatever (the 140 hour job)?

I would imagine that if we just try to polish out the scratches, we'll have spots big time?

Any ideas for a quick temp fix or should I just plan to get at it?
Have a look at this thread. Specifically, look at the last picture in the first post. After the stripping, the aluminum will be fairly shiny, but it won't last long, since it will begin oxidizing right away. I don't know if two weeks will make a noticeable difference - I suppose it depends on the climate in your area. Our door became fairly shiny. Not polished, but more shiny than before. Keep in mind that this door wasn't pitted from corrosion yet - it had a lot of clearcoast left on it before stripping.

From what I understand, the only thing that takes out the actualy oxidization and pitting is the polishing compound itself. I'm sure some more experienced "polishers" will chime in, but that's my initial obervation.

BTW, Removeall 210 is the thinner of the two strippers, and it is meant to be sprayed on (as opposed to be brushed).
Old 05-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #41

Post Scratches

You know, when I do this strip & polish thingy, I want it to be a labour of love and hard work and not a rush job. Thank you so much for your quick response by the way but I think I'll just wait.

The thing is my '74 Int'l was offered a job (as it is(was) with no polish) as a $prop$ in a photo shoot (less than 2 weeks away); we hired a tow truck to move it from our campsite to the front of the campground (for pickup by "professional trailer movers" to the shoot). During the towtruck move (we have before & after photos) it was scratched. My boss (many years a lawyer and now a producer) says sue 'em but its not that simple and the polish job has to be done eventually (its not dents) anyway soooo...

The photographer will just have to airbrush the photos if the scratches show up or we give up the gig. Either is preferable to me doing a rush job and having an uneven surface; I read in one of your forums that the "half finished" look is not pretty.
Thanks again...I'll be back....