Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2015, 09:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
What is this white stuff and how do I kill it!

I'm finding this white corrosion in several places around the outside. (Theres a ton of it on the roof!) If i spend enough time i can scrape it off with my finger nail but is there a safe and easy(er) way to deal with this. pic below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6374.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	240982  
OklaOverland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:27 PM   #2
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Show us pictures of the roof. It's either corrosion ( ie aluminum rust) or failed clearcoat, that would be unusual on a 1963 but not out of the realm of possibility .
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #3
Slowpoke

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
That stuff next to the red lens in your pic looks like adhesive residue. If you can scrape it off with your fingernail, try a little goo-gone, or some paint thinner (goo-gone is just mineral spirits and perfume) and see if it cuts it. If you have a similar mess on the roof, it may be the remains of an old coating of roof paint of some sort...
Gnorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:46 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
You get yourself a "pig" or "cow" hoof. Trim to a "scraping edge".. And watch how good it works. Easier than getting a "MAN-icure"

If "clear coat" it should loosen with solvent like Lacquer thinner. If nothing dissolves it, it is likely corrosion.

Option one... Do nothing and say, "That aint corrosion, that is an Airstream Beard,, they are earned!
Option 2... Scrape or polish off the old "beard".... Polish whole shell. "Clear coat with NYALIC.
Option 3.... Paint it... Like this:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	295.2 KB
ID:	240983  
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
They were coated with clear lacquer back then that failed pretty quickly if not stored out of the sunlight .
dannydimitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 03:23 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Roof

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
Show us pictures of the roof. It's either corrosion ( ie aluminum rust) or failed clearcoat, that would be unusual on a 1963 but not out of the realm of possibility .
Heres the roof. The guy i bought it from had it half way under some trees. The side in the shade doesn't have as much as this side.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	241014  
Old 06-18-2015, 03:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Are you trying to keep it original. if not white rubberized roof paint might be the simplest solution.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I'd like to see the aliminum again.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Put a little paint stripper on a small spot and give it a few minutes to see if it bubbles up. If it does it's failing clear coat.
If it doesn't bubble up it may be where there was clear coat that has worn away over time. Causing uneven corrosion.
Get a small bottle of car polish . Give it a good rub for a while. If the cloth turns black, you're removing aluminum corrosion, and are on bare metal and polishing it slightly.
If it's chalky white it may be where clear coat started to fail and held water on the aluminum causing excess aluminum oxide formation. Generally a heavy polishing will remove most of it, but you may still have slight surface putting in the end. Can still be made to look good though, maybe just not enough to shave in.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:12 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
strip the coat with Aircraft or similar stripper. You can choose to polish then or use a good car type wax to make it look shinier.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 02:39 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Clear coat still there on the shady side, gone on sunny side

I agree with what HiJoeSilver said. That looks like clear coat that has failed (like completely gone) in some places and still there in others.

Fortunately, aluminum oxide forms a protective coating that usually stops further corrosion. If you can get the old clear coat off, the aluminum should polish out.

Be aware that a trailer can be polished back to "original finish" aluminum look with lots less work than the purists put into their beautiful mirror finish jobs. I used a Cyclo with yellow wool pads (moderately aggressive). I had the entire trailer looking good with one pass in some places where the clear coat had been in good shape to maybe three passes where the aluminum oxide was really established. After all, the Cyclo was designed to polish aluminum airplanes.

I took these pics right after I finished polishing. Four years later, it could use a touch-up, but still doesn't look bad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Curbside post polishing.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	229.4 KB
ID:	241105   Click image for larger version

Name:	Streetside post polishing.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	194.1 KB
ID:	241106  

mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 03:14 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I would love to see what it looks like now, after 4 years of exposure.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:38 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
Mimi, that's a sharp looking trailer!
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 11:23 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
I agree with what HiJoeSilver said. That looks like clear coat that has failed (like completely gone) in some places and still there in others.

Fortunately, aluminum oxide forms a protective coating that usually stops further corrosion. If you can get the old clear coat off, the aluminum should polish out.

Be aware that a trailer can be polished back to "original finish" aluminum look with lots less work than the purists put into their beautiful mirror finish jobs. I used a Cyclo with yellow wool pads (moderately aggressive). I had the entire trailer looking good with one pass in some places where the clear coat had been in good shape to maybe three passes where the aluminum oxide was really established. After all, the Cyclo was designed to polish aluminum airplanes.

I took these pics right after I finished polishing. Four years later, it could use a touch-up, but still doesn't look bad.

Which compound did you use? Nubrite? And did you use just one grade or several?
Old 10-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1963 26' Overlander
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Update. I used "Premium Stripper" from Home Depot and a plastic scrapper and removed all of it. I took some time but you guys were right.