Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2004, 09:11 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

Baghdad , Iraq
Send a message via MSN to Airstream 1975!
I haven't tried any of the systems -yet. I am willing to go with what works. But I agree with you that there is more than one method to do the job. I might try a little wet sanding on the roof. Rob
Airstream 1975! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:16 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
I've at this polishing for about six years now - its kinda like golf, you work at it, not sure you ever get it right. One thing I can say after following this for six years, is you ask 100 different people, you will get 100 different strong opinions. I know that Jim at Airmark was the first guru - he suggested sanding only scratches out and that his green compound was the best, then the Rollite folks came along, then Nuvite, then Southern Shine and now Blue Magic. From what I can tell they all work. I've never heard of someone wet sanding their whole trailer although I have heard of someone steel wooling their whole trailer (yes you read that right). If you sand I think its important to go with the "grain" of the aluminum. In my case, if I can use a machine to do the work, thats my preferred method.

I too have talked to aircraft polishers and they too prefer a machine - but each of us has what has worked for us.

Let us know how the wet sanding goes - I'm curious to learn yet another method - always trying (as I do in golf) to better my polishing method.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:38 AM   #23
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Don't forget, polishing is done for different reasons in different industries.
Port polishing, aircraft polishing, industrial polishing, Airstream polishing etc.
Some applications do not call for a deep, lustrous shine, but rather a way to keep the aluminum from oxidizing or corroding. Not all polishing is done for beautification, so clearly it depends on who you talk to on what works, and for what purpose.
Most maintenance and production shops use industrial buffers, and on tub of a cerain polish. I suppose that the 3-step or more polishing process would yield the desired shine for Airstreams. I talked to a tanker truck driver a while back, and he said theyplish his tanks with a one step and a buffer of some sort. Man, some of those tankers shine like the sun itself!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:41 AM   #24
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
-and I just want to hear if anyone hasn't been brainwashed or conditioned to use only one system, to have gone "outside the box" as you may- and tried this older and proven method from the aircraft industry.

Any who have tried the wet sand and polish method please let us know how you fared with it as a DIY project on a trailer. No name calling, no wars, just intelligent discussion. Thanks. Cliff
It would help with the name calling if you would not start off your post with the implied assersion that those who have used the Rolite/Nuvite compounders are "brainwashed". There are several success stories in the archives, and their posts do not suggest in any way that they are some kind of stupid sheep led around by preditory marketers.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:20 AM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
I was kind of thinking the same thing

seriously, Millionaire....if you read through that thread, (and others), I think that's what the SS proponents were trying to say...some found it worked good for them, some didn't, and preferred the "hard" way. For reasons that I don't understand, though, some got very emotional about it.

Anyway, if I recall correctly, the original SS thumper never said it was "as good as"...only that it got darn close, with a fraction of the work. He said that he wet-sanded the entire trailer, then one application of the SS with some sort of inexpensive polisher.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:02 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
~~~snip~~~posts do not suggest in any way that they are some kind of stupid sheep led around by preditory marketers.
I cannot speak to the subject of what shines the best, but that sheep following sheep description purt well sums up a fair sized chunk of the folks I have met in the RV world regarding what they own or what they buy to "improve" what they own.

Now as to the Polish Wars, I am trying to keep up, but it aint easy.
There are lots of subjects that I can see arguing about, but why anyone gets irate over what some one else uses to shine their ol' can just amuses me. I am just thankful to get reports on various methods. I weigh very carefully EVERYTHING I read on all the forums before I follow any bellcow.And you better believe that there is lots of misinformation by even the various most hallowed contributing posters. Knowing that, when I screw up a project I only have myself to blame.

But why the Heck denegrate a peer for having a strong opinion??
Why take something said in general as a personal affront? It is really quite easy to tell the difference. I get lots of practice. I think Millionairstream and Trailertrash (and others in the past) have raised very interesting and needed questions. Let em speak! I appreciate their candor. Much more needed on all forums.

As I have asked elsewhere; "What is it about Airstreamers with a bit of "authority"(or a large number of posts) that makes them think Condescension is their "birthright"?

Will the day eventually arrive when the International owners will turn their noses up at the poor lowly LandYachters ..? or the Trade winders will carp at the Sovereigners. Man talk about territorial.
jaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:14 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I think why alot of tanker trucks can get away with "one-step polishes" is that they are polished & maintained from "day one" and haven't been left in a neglected manner as most of our vintage airstreams have.

Personally, we had to remove 39 years of oxidation prior to polishing...have you ever seen a neglected oxidized tanker truck brought back to life? My guess is no...they have been maintained from the beginning. They also are made from thicker/better quality aluminum to begin with.

Just food for thought...

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:07 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
I was reading on one of the airplane forums recently about polishing and one of the replies from a guy with 30 years experience with polishing. He stated that polishing is not a one step process. It is a two step process, cleaning than polishing and that his polishing started after he had a mirror finish with the cleaner. He also stated that most all of the polishes were good, the one that was the best was the one that worked for you because polishing was as much a artform as a science.

I think that it is tough to compare polishing Airstreams to polishing airplanes because airplanes are usually better maintained and don't have decades of oxidation and garbage that needs to be cleaned off and repaired before they can be polished. I've used Blue Magic and Rolite polish and Met al on my 45 year old Airstream and it is very slow going, plus I still have pits and scratches and worry about denting the body because I'm pushing so hard trying to make progress. I'm ordering some stuff with more grit to it so I don't have to work so hard or damage anything. I guess to sum it up, it is to each his own.

Rod
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 04:47 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Rod

You may be using too much polish if you have to push hard - it does not take much - I realize that removing the old oxidation can be tough - just thought I would throw that out as an idea to try. The polish should do the work for you.

Ken
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 05:23 PM   #30
2 Rivet Member

, Utah
Ken J thanks for the idea.
I understand that a little dab will do ya. I just got to figure out what size that dab is for me. I think that is part of the art to polishing.

I'm totally new at this and have been reading posts and directions on cans and web sites and anything else I can. I'm using the Blue Magic right now and it is cutting though the oxidation with patience and time. But I still have scratches and corrosion and pits that the finer polishes just ain't going to get out. I'm using 0000 steel wool and I'm thinking about 1000-1500 grit sandpaper but with this trailer I'm not to excited about doing most of it my hand before I start polishing.

I don't think we're going to find a one size fits all because each of us are different and every Airstream is going to have different issues. I've got a 31 foot Soverign to polish after I get done with mine and I bet that it is going to be a whole new ball game. I imagine after they are both done that I'd be able to do each one every couple years with something like Blue Magic and life will be good.
Rod
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 09:09 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

OK- just returned from the airport-

- and I don't think he's enjoyijng handing out all this info, i.e., I'm not going back again this week- he needs a break from educating me.

Let me first say that I'm not here for fighting, and I'm not in tune with any authority by a huge number of posts. I see people who work every day for nothing and have done so for years, so longevity has good and bad points- some folks don't see the trees for the forest.

As Insideout says- a tanker is made of usually a better and thicker alloy- 6061 and we are using a "structural" grade- 2024- he explained the difference- but I didn't take notes- maybe someone else here knows. The trucks will be easier to shine, but require wet sanding if they're far gone- just as we will.

Wet Sanding is the key! An old trailer has oxidized- kind of its own defense to the elements. To bring it back- by removing the oxidation- we're being offered a miracle product that will scuff it off- however- its easier to sand it off- and less damage takes place as it can be judged and the minimum grit determined and controlled easier by hand than a coarse grit by a machine.

The old man said that he can take 1200, 2000 and higher grits and make it appear almost totally polished without ever using rouge- they make something like a 12000(?) grit paper. He says it feels like leather or chamois to the touch.

He swears a 19' Airstream can be wet sanded in less than 1 day- front to back and top to bottom- unless it has tremendous pitting and scratches requiring extra work to remove and cover that part of the project. 2 passes with 800 then 1200 should have any 40 year old crusty trailer about ready for a full polish with rouge or cream.

The reason that airmark doesn't need to sand is because of the work done by the "drum" or "barrel" polisher- which leaves NO CIRCULAR SWIRLS like a grinder and coarse compound does.

I was told- "boy, you wet sand that damn thing for a day and you can polish it with spit and it'll shine up. A good wet sand is the prep that you need to do to guarantee that its worth polishing it with anything"

He never heard of south shine, but said it may work as well as others and that there are a few that are better than others.

On my questions about the cyclo and nuvite/rolite again- he just rolled his eyes and said- "puh-lease- not again- I told you and every other trailer person who comes in here that its not worth messin with" He said a salesman came there peddlin something like that and blasted him for laughs.

I gotta take this guy a gift next time I go- he was just awesome and a real hard working very decent man. The kind of all meat and potatoes and no BS guy you have a hard time finding these days.

You guys do what you want- I'm sold on the less expensive sandpaper and rouge system. The one thing he said that costs anything is the pads- he said that they use 3m cause they don't break and are re-usable.

I've got a month or 2, I'll see what goes on here, but I'm going out and getting it going as far as acquisitioning materials- cross your fingers!

Thanks for all the info- Cliff
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 11:15 PM   #32
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Thumbs up

Cliff:
I managed to acquire a good supply of 3M pads on Ebay for about half price. Have patience (sounds like you do!) and do a little homework on 3M catalogue numbers and you'll save a bunch. Probably the only thing you'll need to go to the auto body supply for is the shaft extension.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 07:58 AM   #33
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by millionairstream
...The one thing he said that costs anything is the pads- he said that they use 3m cause they don't break and are re-usable... Cliff
Pads?? What pads? Are you saying use 3M pads rather than wet/dry sandpaper? Or are you talking about pads for the final polishing???

Thanks,

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #34
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
You know, it's too early to tell much, all I know is that on MY trailer, sanding will definitely be required. No 2 ways about it.
Can you strip and sand a trailer in 2 days? Not my 25ft Tradewind. Unless you make it 20 hr days, perhaps. Stripping, sanding, polishing, either way you look at it, it will not be a quick and easy process. I doubt it would save a whole lot of time over compounding and polishing.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:50 PM   #35
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
boy, did I mess up this post or what!
Quote unquoted myself into oblivion. Makes for interesting reading, i guess.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:44 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Ann Arbor
Somebody mentioned buying Blue Magic at Walmart, but the one near me doesn't carry it. Neither does Camping World. Does anyone know other retail outlets that carry this stuff? I'd like to try it first on my faded blue horsetrailer. If I just rub the surface a little bit with a Kleenex, a nice darker blue shows up. I'm thinking Blue Magic might be a relatively easy way to shine it up and see if I want to then turn to my Airstream.

BTW, Jaco, if the International owners start to look down on Land Yachts, I'll be in a heap of trouble! I've got an International Land Yacht. Hmmm.

Eugenie
maznblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 05:53 PM   #37
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Auto Zone, I use it for wheels, pipes, etc. It is in a relatively small jar, it would take quite a few for a trailer.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:31 PM   #38
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Keep in mind that we're not removing much if any aluminum with the polish, rather re-arranging it.We are removing small amounts of it with the sand paper, I believe.
We're removing scum and oxidation from the aluminum, and then flattening the peaks and valleys in the material.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:42 PM   #39
3 Rivet Member

Good analogy-

Maybe we get things working easier and more sensibly for all...
millionairstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 04:48 PM   #40

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
Stephanie,
Was'nt your trailer polished already? You should not need more than a fresh up? Am I mistaking your jewel for someone else's?
Mine was polished a few years ago, before I bought it, and has had nothing but washings since, no wax, no real cleaning. So there are water marks, bird dropping marks, corrosion, and road tar on it that need to be cleaned off. And of course as I start cleaning, I start seeing how pretty it could look if it was shiney again.

So I don't have to deal with 35 years of corrosion and peeling clearcoat like some. I definitly have an easier job ahead of me. But I still have lots of questions before I start. I'd like to do it once, do it right, and maintain it so it lasts a while.

I got 1000 and 1200 grit sandpaper at the auto body store. I thought I would try that on a spot with the SS by hand and see how it goes. I'll let you know.

Millionairstream, I still object to you calling the nuvite, rollite a scam. I think you're being un-necessarily inflamatory. It's not a scam because it does work. Many people have used that process and it works to bring their trailer to a mirror finish. That's how the previous owners did my trailer. So I completely disagree with it being a scam. There are just lots of different ways to get to the same finished product, and wet-sanding and using white diamonds, ss, etc might never get to the same level of mirror shine that people do with nuvite and a cyclo. Until you prove otherwise I'd lay off on the namecalling. It just distracts from the real issue.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote