Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2005, 10:38 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
What is "Compounding"?

What is "Compounding"? Is that the difference between a polish that lasts and one that oxidizes right away? Thanks!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:53 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Compounding is a more aggressive form of polishing that is usually the first step in removing the deep-seated oxidation accumulated over many years. It's usually followed by finer polishing using a Cyclo-Polisher.

Here are a couple of photos & links that can help you understand the whole process...

Polishing using Nuvite
Extensive Componding & Polishing thread

Keep in mind, there as many techniques to polishing as there are Airstream owners that polish! You wil find lots of additional information by using the keywords 'compounding' or 'polishing' with the search tool.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 10:59 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
It is an Argosy that was stripped a while ago, so I don't think it is super oxidized....and then PO did start polishing so that there is swirl marks all over the skin....so I am not sure if I should back up a step and do this compounding thing, or if that is already done, I am worried I might damage the surface further. If the skin looks like I am already part way through the polishing process you referred to, should I still start at the beginning to make sure I am getting every step right? Thanks!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
It depends on how deep the swirl marks are...are they just light surface dirctional swirls or more like something left from sandpaper grit? If they are deep, you will need to go the whole compounding route, it they are ver light without additional oxidation you may be able to just get away with Cyclo-polishing.

Compounding won't damage the skin more unless you really over do it. We have componded some panels as many as 10 times to get scratches out.

Do you have any pictures?

Shari

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
Old 08-03-2005, 11:16 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Inside out...thanks for the picture links!

I had read that thread on the polishing...and several others, but they seem confusing. Like everyone knows what everyone else is talking about. Maybe I just need to read and reread to understand.

I have read the steps on the Perfect Polish site and it appears I am on the second step, since there are swirls all over the trailer, which would seem to indicate compounding was already done. However, there is still scratches and it does look like sandpaper was used in spots. So I guess I will back up and do the compounding thing. I would rather do it right the first time.

I am not too worried about the time investment as my older sons are going to do this. I told them I would pay them and that it would take hundreds of hours, so if it takes less hours, they will be happy!

I took pictures, and now I can't find the digital camera's cable to hook to the computer...sigh. When I find that I will get that on here.

I am pretty sure that I want to paint the steel end caps and the roof with a silver automotive paint, and then polish the sides. I hate to repaint the whole Argosy since it seems a lot of work has already gone into stripping it.

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-03-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Sounds like a good plan...especially the part about using your son's energy for the labor! You might tell them they'll get a good tan doing it to encourage them to get out there while the warm weather is around..although it's best to do it in the shade during the cooler parts of the day. The reflections will get them anyways...wear sunscreen!

Shari

Old 08-03-2005, 11:45 AM   #7
CMF
1 Rivet Member

polisher preference?

I've got a newbie question for you.
Why is it that most folks recommend this double-headed cyclo-polisher? What advantage does it have over one with a single head on it.

FYI...I have many, many hours experience with a standard, single-head polisher used on autos and am familiar with what improper use will make the finish look like and how to avoid swirls, etc.
CMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 11:46 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks Shari! I appreciate the advice. Though we have gutted trailers before, I never tried polishing. This trailer has no major or even minor dents...so I am real hopeful, even though the Argosy Aluminum could be of different qualities.

Now if I could just find that digital camera cord...
Old 08-03-2005, 11:50 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
CMF: Please explain what improper use is? Maybe using wrong kind of bonnet or too much pressure? Are you suppossed to go in circles or back and forth? Since I am inexperienced, and so is my sons....but you gotta start somewhere. Maybe I could practice on the belly pan pieces, that we tore off a couple days ago...
Old 08-03-2005, 12:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMF
I've got a newbie question for you.
Why is it that most folks recommend this double-headed cyclo-polisher? What advantage does it have over one with a single head on it.
Because it easily removes the swirls with it's random-directional pads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMF
FYI...I have many, many hours experience with a standard, single-head polisher used on autos and am familiar with what improper use will make the finish look like and how to avoid swirls, etc.
Use whatever works for you...if you still have swirls in the aluminum, try a Cyclo polisher it may help.

Shari

Old 08-03-2005, 12:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Hey, cool, a polished Argosy, Can not wait to see pics!!!
I polished my 75 Trade Wind this year. Took less effort and time than I expected.
Feel free to check out what we did.
http://www.balrgn.com/Polish/Polish.htm

What year/model is yours?
Good luck with your project
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:21 PM   #12
CMF
1 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggies
CMF: Please explain what improper use is? Maybe using wrong kind of bonnet or too much pressure? Are you suppossed to go in circles or back and forth? Since I am inexperienced, and so is my sons....but you gotta start somewhere. Maybe I could practice on the belly pan pieces, that we tore off a couple days ago...
Well, on auto paint, especially around edges, you can easily burn the paint off if you're not careful. I don't think you'll have to worry about that on the trailer though. What I was mainly referring to is the swirl marks you can get. On an auto, it's back and forth, front to back, lite pressure and the pad should be angled only a few degrees off the surface. Of course, this is over simplifying the process all of my experience comes from auto paint. I have yet to start on the airstream. Definitely practice on a seperate piece first if you have the opportunity to so you can "adjust" your technique if need be.
CMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:29 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
1977 Argosy Minuet, says 6 mitre on the side...

One of my kids had the digital cable,and I have pictures, but I can't figure out how to post them.

I have owned this one for one week today, and I already have the belly pan off and almost all the insides are out except the rear bath. I really enjoy taking them all apart and cleaning out 28 years of dirt. Plus, it is easier to put the new subfloor in and start again...we have owned 6 various sizes but this is the smallest and my HUSBAND wants to KEEP this one! I can't believe it. He likes how tiny it is. Most of my kids sleep in tents anyway so it isn't like we all have to fit.
Old 08-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Balrgn: neat link on your polishing!

CMF: thanks for explaining!

Now if I could just get the photo on here! I do the post reply, and I see below manage attachments, but after I browse, add the link thing, and it says "Uploading" it seems to get stuck. Any ideas?
Old 08-03-2005, 12:42 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Is your photo too big? Too high of a resolution will make them unable to load...maximum size is 1mb or 400 x 600 pixels usually works.

Shari

Old 08-03-2005, 04:51 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1961 26' Overlander
Gabriola Island , British Columbia
A note on the cyclo polisher. Just bought one and it is a joy to use.Used with the cyclo wraps from perfectpolish it gets a much deeper shine than with the auto polisher.Tom at perfect polish is also very helpful.
greg176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
Sorry for cluttering the thread, I am trying to do a picture....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy 1 003 (Small) (3).jpg
Views:	133
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	13793  
Old 08-04-2005, 12:24 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
A close up of the swirls....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	argosy 1 004 (Small).jpg
Views:	98
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	13794  
Old 08-04-2005, 12:38 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Lapeer , Michigan
greg 176: is the cyclo very heavy? Would be used by me, a not so strong armed female, and my teenage sons, who are strong, but not exactly gym material! Thanks!
Old 08-04-2005, 12:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggies
greg 176: is the cyclo very heavy? Would be used by me, a not so strong armed female, and my teenage sons, who are strong, but not exactly gym material! Thanks!
Mine weighs about 8 lbs, Not hard to handle, use 2 hands. It does wear on the elbows. Just do it in short bursts. I got mine from Winners Circle, and have refered several folks there, if you use my name he will make the deal better.

http://www.winnerscircledetailingpro...p?idproduct=24

You'll need a coarse grade of polish to start to get under the clad...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote