Old 04-22-2007, 02:01 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Bowling Green , Missouri
What if you don't want a mirror finish?

This has probably been asked before, but what if you don't want a "mirror" finish, but just want a nice silver non-swirl finish? We have a 1962 Trade Wind that had been sitting outside for a number of years before we bought it. We've got everything functional, replaced curtains, etc. and are now in the process of putting in a Pergo flooring. The outside is next, but we're really not interested in the glare finish.
Would it damage the skin to use a fine scuff pad to get the yuck off and get a consistent silver finish? I've tested one small spot and it doesn't look bad, but we don't want to do the shell any damage if we change our mind later.
We also have a 1967 Safari (which we bought last summer and haven't touched yet) and it appears as though someone has done something like this to it where the clear coat has worn off. It looks pretty decent.
Thanks for any help

retrocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Clean up the exterior but not mirror finish

Nuvite Grade F7 would be my suggestion.

Here is a picture of a 1961 International that never had the finish worked on before we bought it.

KE5CKG on 2 meters
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 05:15 PM   #3

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
The problem is going to be not inducing swirls. I think you are going to have to use a cyclo for that. I would start by just taking off the clear coat (assuming there is any). That alone will shine it up a good bit.

Visit my photography page
and the
Favorite camp grounds project map
My Blog

(The artist formerly known as General Disarray)

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
My husband would like to find the stuff that Tractor Trailers use.

anyone know what that is? use to use Fruehauf super renews, but they are out of buisness.
Marti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:34 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member
1962 24' Tradewind
Bowling Green , Missouri
Yeah, but

Not to be rude, but I simply wanted to know if my idea had been used by others successfully. I know the normal process and what results come from it. I just want to get the camper all the same color without obvious marks. I used a #00 scuff pad this afternoon on a small area, and it really doesn't look bad. But again, I need to know if this might damage the shell to where I can't go back to the normal process later.

retrocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:40 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
I did the top of mine w/a green scrubby pad when I first got it. It was covered in black sap & mung from I don't know how many years. It cleaned up pretty nicely. I know it didn't damage the shell for polishing, because the following year I polished it & there were no permanent marks from the scrubby pad. I can't say the pad polished anything, but it cleaned off stuff that wouldn't have come off with a rag. Hope this helps you out.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
My understanding is that there is a very fine line between sanding the corrosion off and damaging the exterior skin. I've read in other threads that you can polish hundreds of times without damage. When I cleaned all the rivets and joints of our trailer before sealing, I used a scotch bright pad from the paint store. That removed corosion and left a dull shine. Not sure if that would have the same effect as sandin. It would have taken many more hours to continue hand sanding all of the panels than the hours I spent polishing. As said in an earlier post, try Nuvite F7. That is where we started and made one more polish at C. The C is a little more polished than I really wanted. In your case, you may get good results with the newer G6.
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:38 PM   #8
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I see that you're fairly new here, welcome to the forums!
I think that with any scuff pad, fine sand paper or whatever you use, it will leave marks or patterns. If you use a pad in a back and forth motion, it will leave back and forth patterns, and so on. I don't see how you can avoid any patterns, whether swirl or otherwise, without using some sort of random orbital polisher.
I had an area that was quite corroded, and thought that 1500 grit wet/dry paper may be OK to use wet. I was shocked at how many scratches even that fine paper left. I quit using it after about 3 back and forth motions, and went back to the rotory polisher, followed by the Cyclo.
I don't know how much knowlege this adds for you, but this is my experience.
Let us know what you try, and how it works out.

Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote