Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2019, 04:04 PM   #21
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattRox View Post
My dried on bug splatters are proving difficult. Any suggestions other than don't let them get dried on?

Thanks,
WD40 and a quality microfiber cloth.
Also works well on the Stainless segment protectors.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_12db.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	335421  
Old 03-11-2019, 04:11 PM   #22
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
A wash with Zip wax car wash, followed by a wax with NuFinish.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:10 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
The WD40 makes the aluminum look better but hasn't removed most of the bugs (even with lots of elbow grease). I had already used some stainless cleaner on the guards, I guess the WD40 is similar to the spray can of stainless cleaner. Made the guards look good except for one long water streak.

Robert, your's looks so good maybe you'd want to come over and show me how!? (thinking Tom Sawyer and white picket fence)

Thanks for the responses. I'll get after it with some wash and wax next.

Thanks again,
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #24
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
I use Wash Wax All. Made for airplanes. Easy to apply and seems to hold up well.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Lewisville , Texas
Bugs are all gone! After a rain storm this morning I went out with a couple dryer sheets (unscented) after reading about it in this forum. I had tried using the sheets on a dry surface and they didn't work for me. On the wet trailer they removed the dried on bug splatters easily.

They left a white filmy residue which easily rinsed right off. Now for the allover wash and wax!

Thanks again for all your help,
@tflyingsquirrel
mattRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:18 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
Washing a stripped and shined 1999?

We had our trailer stripped and shined. What is the best way to care for Kat's Cradle? We are full-timers so never under cover.
badkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:06 AM   #27

2014 28' International
Davis , California
QUESTION? Does anyone have experience to indicate you should only wipe a Airstream with the grain, and not circular?
Fairlaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:20 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Washing with the grain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlaneman View Post
QUESTION? Does anyone have experience to indicate you should only wipe a Airstream with the grain, and not circular?
Great point! Yes, when I wash our AS (just sold our 2017 International and picked up new 2019 FC 25 RB twin) I am always very careful to go with the grain. I use Turtle Wax Zip car wash & wax to wash with a very soft curved brush on extendable stick handle (I always use the 2 bucket system), then dry with a "Water Sprite". I use Nu-Finish (Great stuff in orange bottle) on the white part of roof and Walbernize the aluminum skin.I never buff in circular motion always wiping with grain of aluminum. I always use
clean microfiber towels to wipe off wax and clean cotton applicators to apply wax.

I try to do this every 3/4 months. Yes, that is probably overkill but I am very particular about my belongings. I performed several frame off restorations of mid 60's Fords back in the 1990's and had several of my cars trophy at some pretty large shows. So, yes, I am picky about the way our AS looks.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:11 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2018 28' Flying Cloud
Chapin , South Carolina
I use Maguires Ultimate Wash & Wax with a very soft marine wash brush with extension handle. Keeps water beading and bugs easy to remove. Walbernize spring & fall. California Duster for the light dust while camping. The Camping World variety wash brushes feel soft, but tend to leave fine scratches. Last summer in Yosemite, we were under a massive sugar pine that left many blobs of sap. All I could find came off with WD-40. I missed a few on the roof that I found on the next wash. By then they had hardened and popped right off with my fingernail.
StuartsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:30 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2019 30' International
Pennsylvania , Pennsylvania
I wash less often nowadays. I'm a firm believer the more washing, the greater the damage to the finish, be it a car, or airstream. One piece of grit and.....

I've seen more swirl marks and haze. Dropped the sponge.....should I continue, or throw it out? Can I rinse it and be sure there's no grit in it?

When I do wash, I hose down with the strongest water spray my hose will muster, then go over it with an extended soft brush and water....flood with water.

2017 Ford CCSB F250 XLT 6.2L Gas 4x4 4:30 rear Leer Topper Ruby Red
2019 International Serenity 30 Rear Twin
majorairhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:48 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Salt Lake City , Utah
Ceramic coating provides minor scratch protection, road grime and bugs come off easy. The work in putting a ceramic coating on is the prep work. Well worth it and coating last about three years. Drying is simple, leaf blower or just wash before getting on the highway. The coating is hydrophobic, water just rolls off. Lots of examples online.
broupman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:05 AM   #32

2014 28' International
Davis , California
wash and dry the AS

THANKS SO MUCH. I wasn't sure if anyone would read. I was given the idea regarding circular rubbing from videos on YouTube.
SECOND, you use to dry? (I can no longer see the word since I am in the reply area of the forum)
Old 05-20-2019, 08:07 AM   #33

2014 28' International
Davis , California
what is the water sprite"?
Old 05-20-2019, 08:49 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
. . .
I can no longer see the word since I am in the reply area of the forum)
Welcome to the forum!

FYI you have 10 minutes to edit your posts FWIW. Also, it makes for more logical reading if you Quote someone to whom you are replying, especially if the message thread gets very busy.

Happy trails,

Peter

FYI
FWIW
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:11 AM   #35
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have been using Meguiars Carnauba Wash and Wax product from Costco, this past 2 years; works great. One application for clean and wax. I do wipe down the windows, but that's about it for drying. Bug splatters and road tar take a little more work.
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 01:21 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Water Sprite

Quote:
what is the water sprite"?
"Water Sprite" is a synthetic drying cloth made by S.M. Arnold, Inc. Part # WS816. I have used these for years to dry my car, boat, trailer. The last 2 I purchased online at Walmart for around $15.00 each. I discovered these when I was the Service Director at a Volvo/Infiniti dealer in Florida. Try em. You will like em!

These are great on windows around the house. There made in Holland.
Old 05-21-2019, 06:00 AM   #37
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
My experience...

The softest brush WILL scratch your AS.

Microfiber only. Wash with the grain... east, west not north, south.

Dawn is for greasy ducks...it will easily remove that sooper new coating you just spent all day applying. Been using all their car care stuff for years with excellent results.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 05-21-2019, 06:19 AM   #38
Ebb and Flo

Tulsa , Oklahoma
You guys should consider product from the folks at corrosionx. Outstanding protection and longevity characteristics. And on the SS wings, wont show road oil spots. Plus incredible anti corrosion properties you cannot find anywhere else.

That said, always rub and wash with the grain using soft cloth, never a brush.

Ebb - 2015 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Flo - 2012 30' International Serenity
davidlbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:20 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
OK; so I use a very soft brush; used it for years on all my AS's...not sure your concerns with a soft brush? Show me where the damage occurs....I don't see any damage anywhere..
Summer-Star Valley Ranch RV Resort (Thayne, WY); Winter-Sun City (Georgetown,TX)
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 10:49 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Washing with a brush

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlbriggs View Post
You guys should consider product from the folks at corrosionx. Outstanding protection and longevity characteristics. And on the SS wings, wont show road oil spots. Plus incredible anti corrosion properties you cannot find anywhere else.

That said, always rub and wash with the grain using soft cloth, never a brush.
The brushes I use to wash with are Boars hair brushes. These are very expensive and are normally used to wash high end show cars and boats. I started using them 40 years ago. Even back then they were almost $100.00 each. I only get the ones with a wooden handle, not the plastic handle. I purchased several of these brushes in the mid 1990's when I was restoring classic Ford cars. My painter turned me on to them. I am still using them.

It is important to rinse your brush out each time you dip it back into soap bucket. This is called "The 2 bucket system". One bucket with soapy water. One bucket with clear water. Always dip into clear water bucket, rinse brush, then dip into soap bucket and continue washing. Change water in clear bucket often. Is this a pain sometimes? Yep! However, if you just spent 5 or 10 grand for a paint job on a freshly restored car, dipping the brush to do a proper wash job is no big deal. The skin on an Airstream is delicate and I treat it as such. Happy washing!