Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
What do you use for exterior cleaning?

We used Zip Wax Car Wash on the old Starcraft but what should we use on an Airstream? We don't need to polish it yet...just wash it. Any recommendations? What do you use?
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 02:28 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
I used Armour All car wash for all coats. And I love the turtle wax spray it's also safe for clear coats. I used welbernize (spelling) when we first got it. Just did a good wash and wax this week and posted a picture under my members photo.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 05:19 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Mansfield , Texas
Just a little water

And a soft bristle brush on a long pole.
bill benton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
SIMPLE GREEN With a soft brush on a long handle. It's biodegradable and cuts the road scum off easily. Use a stronger solution for grease, tar etc.
You can find the full strength solution at Pep Boys or the like, cut it with water in a big bucket and go to town. Just rinse with clean water and she'll shine like new! Good luck.
Old 04-13-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
DAWN dish detergent....great for cutting road grime!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Woodlawn , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Angel73
Wow

I use that stuff in my home.Can you also use it once the clear coat at been removed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
SIMPLE GREEN With a soft brush on a long handle. It's biodegradable and cuts the road scum off easily. Use a stronger solution for grease, tar etc.
You can find the full strength solution at Pep Boys or the like, cut it with water in a big bucket and go to town. Just rinse with clean water and she'll shine like new! Good luck.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
Simple Green

For what it's worth, we used to use Simple Green lots on our airplanes until we heard from several manufacturers that it was mildly corrosive on unprotected aluminum (ostensibly on concealed lap joints). This was about 10 years ago and we just stopped using "as suggested". Course, this was before widespread use of the internet for forums, comparison and research so I honestly don't know if it is still the case WRT Simple Green.
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 02:53 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
more on Simple Green

Saw this during an unrelated search on the Army's Combat Readiness Center website...

9/30/2004 2:30:00 PM, Simple Green's not for Aircraft Washing

"Don't use Simple Green to wash aircraft or aircraft components.
It has been brought to the attention of the AMCOM Depot Maintenance Engineering Team that numerous units are using the commercial product SIMPLE GREEN as an aircraft wash. STOP! This product has been through DoD testing and was determined to be highly corrosive on aircraft aluminum. It can also be a catalyst for hydrogen embrittlement in high strength aircraft alloys.
While it is a highly effective cleaning agent for floors and non-aluminum/non-high strength alloy vehicles, this product is not approved for aviation usage.
If your unit has been using SIMPLE GREEN on a regular
basis, it is recommended that a thorough fresh water wash with the approved cleaners per the appropriate airframe maintenance manuals be accomplished as soon as practicable. This should be followed up with a corrosion inspection/treatment and application of approved CPCs.
Insure that no unauthorized cleaning products are being used on your aircraft or in the shops as a component cleaner."

I don't think us 'streamers should worry too much about hydrogen embrittlement but the corrosive nature got my attention...once again.
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 03:50 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
B25Guy,
Thanks so much for the interesting information on Simple Green. I've been using it for years on my show car undercarriages etc. and in diluted form on my '04 Airstream with good results. Of course, I rinse thouroughly. Even so, this information does give me pause. Thanks again for the posting.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:25 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
I use "Marine Clean" from the Por 15 folks. It is the best I've ever found for inside greasy ceilings and outside dirt. I use it on my Argosy, thanks to Balrgn. He told me about it and everything he said was true. You will not be sorry if you try it. Rinse throughly inside and out.
juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1994 21' Sovereign
Down on the corner... , CT
I had some oxidation going on so I tried the clay bar kit..($18.99)...no go...finally settled on TurtleWax Polishing Compound from Walmart ($1.99)...worked awsome and followed that up with Mothers California Gold Carnauba Cleaner Wax. Water beads up nicely now and looks great.

PS. A little off topic but, Just in case you need a hint because I did laundry today and it seems all my jeans are getting trashed because all I do is ....well you get the picture....BJ's sells the Executive Choice brand Heavy Duty Degreaser....put it in a spray bottle and spray this stuff on your cruddy clothes and they come out perfect...I clean our bikes with it also and everyone says we have the cleanest bikes on the line! $5.99 gal.
enduroryda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #12
I love Airstreams...
Commercial Member

1989 29' Land Yacht
Haines City , Florida
Arrow washed outside today

went over entire trailer 3 times with Kleen-Strip 15 then washed 2 times with hydrofloric acid ....then i polished the bottom half of door.....

looks nice

Ram 3500 DRW LB SuperCrew
PCS Professional Coach
AIR# 6366
leefields is offline   Reply With Quote