Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-24-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1978 29' Ambassador
1974 25' Tradewind
1974 27' Overlander
Indiana , Pennsylvania
Wet Sand Before Polishing?

Well today I stopped at the local AS dealer and talked with the service manager about polishing our AS. He said that they had done some polishing and recommended wet sanding before polishing. I can understand sanding if there are scratches...but would anyone wet sand with 1500/2000 paper just to speed along the polishing? Seems like adding time to the whole process. Any thoughts from those that have polished...with or without?

Bob
Roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I would only wet sand if you have very heavy oxidation. Even 1000 grit will make courser scratches then most polishes. I personally swear by this system for polishing. You will still need a final pass or two with a cyclo though to get that mirror finish
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:29 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
OO , OO
Send a message via Skype™ to cruiser54
In my visit with "airstream4u" in Hamburg I saw that the professional work, after the laundry with water, directly with buffing machine and site foreman's paste. See the photos in my Blog.
Greeting Werner
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:28 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
On the front "corner" panels of our GlobeTrotter, they were VERY pitted from road debris being kicked up. There were little crater-like pits that had rough edges all over the surface. When we went to polish it, every crater edge caught the fuzz & polish making a real mess so we did VERY LIGHTLY wet sand that panel with 1000 grit wet/dry. It worked out well and we did not go through the Alclad layer (or actually get rid of the pits themselves) - just took the edges off. I would only do this on a very damaged panel as a last resort prior to being prepared to replace the panel - NOT the entire trailer. For us, it worked out well on these two areas - but it is a pretty drastic approach to the entire trailer and easy to mess things up real bad.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
i had / have the same problem on the front corner panels of my GT as well. we used #0000 (very fine) steel wool w / a little bit of polish on it, then polished w/ nuvite #9(very coarse), then #7 (coarse) and will proceed with C(med) and S(fine).

i tested this on a spot and it helped - exactly as shari described - took the edges off the pitting and for very light scratches, it reduced or removed them.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote