Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to MileHigh
Well,..I've REALLY got a Mess Going Now !!

Well, I've REALLY Got a Mess Going Now !!

Trailer used to look pretty good, until I started messing with it !!

I guess I don't know "Squat" about polishing !

I've been following the posts concerning polishing. No Nuvite or Southern Shine to be found anywhere around here.
I fiqured a 3-M Compound product I found would probably do the trick....What a Mess I've got now !!

The trailer really was'nt to bad to start with, just a few stain looking areas where the clear coat had worn off. No big ozidation problems.
I stripped off all the remaining clear coat. I put alittle compound on my buffer,..and VIOLA...INSTANT SCREW-UP !!
Now I've got BLACK CRAP All-over the area I was working on, and it seems to be imbedded into the skin. Now the aluminum looks Dark,....I don't know if I can get that stuff off of there or not !

Anybody Come to my Rescue ??
MileHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 06:24 PM   #2
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
I have not had the experience of polishing, but all I hear is that all of the methods create the black goo.

The black goo is the compound with the residue from the skin embedded in it. I believe the best clean up off the skin is mineral spirits. Don't quote me, I am sure an experienced polisher will chime in. Also if the black goo is happening fast I think you may be either using too much polish, trying to do too big a spot, or running the buffer at too high a speed.

Don't freak! others that have been there before will chime in and help.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 07:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
thenewkid is right on....

black residue is normal and comes off with mineral sprits.

too much compound and too hi buffer speed

do a search on polishing, there is a ton of info on what equipment and supplies required to get the mirror fininsh.

best of luck

Garry
garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Its Aluminum Oxide and although insoluble in most liquids, mineral spirits wets the stuff permitting a wash off.

Put on a rubber glove, saturate a rag with mineral spirits, squeeze the rag, then squeegee off.

Work on a SMALL area at a time.

That 3M stuff is pretty agressive, dont faint when you see the swirls.

Count your blessings, its too cold here to even go outside, let alone play with our toys.

Dick
Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2004, 10:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Howdy neighbor!

Quote:
No Nuvite or Southern Shine to be found anywhere around here.
You're right...you can't just walk into a store & buy the Nuvite products. We have mail ordered ours from AirstreamDreams.com. If ordered on Monday, it usually will show up by Friday...

Good luck, if you need any help feel free PM questions, been there ~ done that!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 03:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Cool If I may...

MileHigh

Greetings and, Welcome to the Forum~!!

Now that the panic attacks have subsided somewhat, let's review what happened.
First. Like the good folks suggested, grab some spirit of mineral and, wipe it off carefully. (Wear gloves, in fact if you haven't yet done so, now would be a great time to buy yourself a box of disposal latex..Be sure to get the better ones as some cheaper brands will just melt when using S-o-M ..)
Second. I would suggest, since you said the surface isn't too bad, to not use a very aggressive method at first. Like anything, go slowly..Be aware that you're gonna be at this for atleast 80 to well over 100 hrs..In other words, this is gonna take some time~!
Like all of us who have been there and, done that will tell you..There's just no real short cut to this process.
Third..Go back and, look at the pictures/read some more on tech.Finally, got started~
And, also visit this website for greater details~Perfectpolish
Finally, by all means pick Shari and, her husband brain for all the info you can~! They're close by you too~
Good luck..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:37 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via AIM to MileHigh
Well,...I can remove the Paper Sack I had to put on my trailer.

Now I can remove the Paper Sack to hide my trailer,..I'm no longer ashamed because of what I did to it.....

Thanks to you, and your advice,.......Me and a gallon of Mineral Spirits,.....brought my Airstream back,....and now it's looking Better than Ever !

I'm very pleased,..and Very Thankful to be a part of such a Great Forum Group such as this.

You people REALLY came through for me...I thought I had Ruined my trailer.

Thanks again,

Rick
MileHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2004, 07:51 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Wink

To remove the oxidation use common household flour, and rub or buff with it last and the black will be gone and the shine will brighten..... this is an old aircraft polishing trick.

34 years in the aircraft industry.
ke4pk is offline   Reply With Quote