Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-11-2002, 10:09 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Joan D'Andrea
Waxing the finish

Hello.

We're very close to taking delivery on our '78 Sovereign. It is in very good condition on the outside. The only problem seems to be what the former owner refers to as salt etching on the outside shell. The etching looks like thousands of little snowflakes. He said it didn't happen until he moved the AS to the Beach two years ago. He lived formerly in a rainy part of the country, but not at the beach proper. I think this happened because he was told by the former owner to hose the AS down with a clorox solution to clean it. The result, according to another person on this site was to destroy the plastic coating. Over it's nearly 25 years of being washed in this way, I doubt there is a plastic coat left. The finish is relatively shinny however, given it's age and washing product. We have no intention of polishing it. Thirty one feet of polishing would just about kill us both physically and financialy. SOOOOO. What do you suggest as the absolutely best product for waxing an AS that will be at the beach 95% of its' life? We get a lot of sideways rain in December through March, some freezing, and our share of snow so every square inch of the trailer needs to be protected with something that is strong enough to last for a year.

Thanks.
Old 09-11-2002, 12:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
Everyone mentions Walbernize as the product to use, and it is recommended by Airstream. I have used both Turtle Wax liquid on mine (easy to apply) and also Granitize Paste. My opinion is a good wax coat with no or minimal abrasives should do the trick. If you use the Turtle wax, you might have to redo it more often( i do every few months), but it goes on easy, and is no sweat to keep up.
A good wash and wax will shine it a bit more and keep it looking good. Wash with any good car wash- I use Armorall car wash.
One more thing on the wax, meguirs products are terrific also, and they do have a liquid that is easy to apply.
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 01:21 PM   #3
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
removing salt stains

I "walbernized" my '60 Overlander and am happy with the result, but I'm not sure that it will remove the salt "snowflakes" on your A/S. You might try some WD-40 on the problem areas before waxing or polishing. It is effective in removing winter road salt from cars and is widely used by mariners to clean their vessels and protect against saltwater damage.
Walbernize has a toll-free number if you want to contact them. The website is:
http://walbernize.com/

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 03:33 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
What does WD-40 do to Plasticoat? Isn't it silicone based? If not harmful that would be good news to me, as it is so handy for many things.
Old 09-11-2002, 04:45 PM   #5
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
No silicon in WD-40

I've used it to remove decal residue from my A/S. It works well and leaves a nice shine on the skin. Here's an info page:

http://www.techsolute.com/Pages/wd-40.html

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2002, 09:23 PM   #6
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Protection

JD,

Another piece that could help is one of those tents from Costco. I have one for my bullet and one for my boat. They cost about $170 plus tax and they are 20' long and 10' wide. Just make sure you tie it down. It can and will fly if you don't. It wil protect your baby from the rain and the lite snow. I am in AZ and after the sun and wind beat my tent for about 2 years it is time to replace. So not a permenant solution, however beats $10,000 and what is permenant these days anyway?

Also I have extended the legs of the tent with PVC pipe. Works great.

>>>>>>>>>>Action

ex Redmond resident
Old 09-12-2002, 06:29 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic S/O
Irvine , California
The tents from Costco are essential here in SoCal. Sun and coastal "late night and early morning low clouds" wreak havic on the finish of any RV. I just bought a 1975 Overlander so I bought a 12' x 30' canopy (not from Costco) for the Airstream and a 10' x 20' one for the tow vehicle (B-van motorhome). they are easy to set up and they will keep your aluminum baby nice for many years. Yes, you need to replace the tarp every few years, but it's a cheap fix.
2005 Yukon XL, 3/4 ton, 4WD, 8.1 engine
pjtaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2002, 05:19 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Unhappy waxing

Thanks everyone for the input. I was thinking I might have the fellow who is bringing it over haul it through the car wash first. I don't know what sort of wax they put in those sprayers, but it dries clear. The car wash is the typical beach wash designed to get the sand and salt off your vehicle and then seal out the new onslaught with a wax. What do you think since I'm not terribly good on ladders
Old 09-12-2002, 08:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Maybe I'm thinking of a different kind of car wash than you are...but I'd make sure your trailer isn't too big for it. I'd hate to see the equipment damage your trailer before you even get it home! Also, I don't know if the car wash owners allow trailers...seems like they would be too long with or without a tow vehicle....maybe I'm thinking of a different kind than you are...but....

Another concern is if it's the high pressure type, you may find out right quick if you have any leaks. I guess that could be either good or bad news And if it's the kind with nylon bristle rollers, damage to the vulcum seam sealer may occur, not to mention scratching the soft aluminum...

I guess I would vote "NO" on the car wash suggestion...

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2002, 11:36 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

Tent and waxes

Hi.

I looked at the local COSTCO and they no longer have the tents mentioned. I think Phil said he got one somewhere else. Do they come in any color besides white?

Also, about the wax. I am not kidding about not being able to get up on a ladder very well. That is why I thought of hauling it through the carwash. I CANNOT get up on top of a trailer with any ease. I doubt I could rub the wax off in the traditional manner while standing on a ladder next to a trailer. Is the Walbenize stuff hard to put on and get off? Is there a way to rub it off the top of a tall, wide trailer other than the traditional crawl up on a ladder, lean over the trailer and rub-a-dub-rub? My experience with waxes, even something as easy as Turtle wax, is you put it on and then you rub like the dickens to get it off. Am I leaving it on too long? I can't imagine being able to do that on something as tall as this Airstream.

The carwash I am thinking of is the self service type. You pull in and stick your quarters in and spray wash the vehicle or use their provided brush and then rinse. Then you spray the wax on. It would take a bunch of quarters, but I was thinking I could spray it on top by aiming the wand up and over. Has anyone done this sort of waxing? Does this wax work as well as any other wax? Does Carwash wax last very long?
Old 09-18-2002, 11:52 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
you can buy spray on wax at WalMart that is as good or better than the car was type. Both of these do little if anything to really shine and protect your airstream. The liquid wax you hand apply is a step up, and will last longer, and paste wax, the hardest to put on will last the longest.
I suggest the Turtle wax or Meguirs liquids as the middle choice. They can be put on without a lot of effort, and hold up fairly well.
I used a modified sponge mop to put it on the roof areas, and wrapped a soft cloth around it to wipe it off. It worked well, although was better when I actually climbed on a ladder to do it by hand.
My airsteam has been waxed with the liquid a few times over the past year and has continued to look shiny and clean.
Old 09-19-2002, 12:04 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Protection for Airstream at the beach

Hi. I contacted the folks who sell the Walbernize products and was pretty impressed. they have a new product that they say should do the trick for me. I have ordered a gallon to make sure I have it around. Apparently I should put it on every six months and it takes about a quart to do my Soveriegn. I will let you all know the results when I do it the first time.

"As far as the ecthings go, you can try polishing them out with Permaguard which
will also provide long term protection (approx 6 months). You will have to apply
it, let dry and buff off. Alternative! We have another product not shown on the
web site that is a wipe on type silicone protectant called Super Non Stick
Coating ($25.00 per gallon). It has no abrasive, will shine up the trailer and
provide 3-4 month protection. Very easy to apply. Always wear plastic gloves.
Thanks for the inquiry-Jim."

I also spoke with the other partner at Walbernize and he suggested I test the "etched snowflake" for the effects of acid rain. He says the test is to rub vinegar on the spot. If the etching disppears then that means the acid that has permeated the finish has been nutralized. I will try this this weekend and see what insues. He said it could be salt as well and I will know for sure after the vinegar test. Joan
Old 01-04-2003, 05:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Wax removal

I've only used the Turtle wash & wax combo on my trailer so far, but would like to put on a coat of wax on prior to going out to Oregon.

What would you recommend to use to remove the wax? (type of cloth)

John
John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2003, 09:51 PM   #14
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
I would use an old "T" shirt. Or an all cotton cloth. For polishing I know guys have used old sweatshirt for the same reason. It's all cotton. Is durable. And is cheap.

On the Tents from Costco. The local Costco (Phoenix) has those tents as a seasonal item. They do not carry the tents right now, however they will get them usually by February. And they will only be in white. The best color to reflect sunlight. And that is the goal.

>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 01-04-2003, 10:13 PM   #15
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
tents, get 'em here

http://www.kingcanopy.com/

john
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 05:32 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Thumbs up Canopies