Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
waxing agent for bare, polished aluminum (not clearcoated)

There are threads out the wazoo (and a whole subforum) about polishing, but I'd like to start one on waxing agents for use after polishing for Airstreams that will not be clearcoated subsequently.

I'm finishing up our polish job and decided to use a waxing agent (NuFinish?) on the middle roof section as soon as it was polished. I wasn't impressed. So I tried it on one segment of a freshly polished endcap, and was even more unimpressed. It showed streaks and smudges, and it actually brought out polished scratches. I removed the stuff with paint thinner.

So the question for you is this: What waxing agent do you use on your polished, bare aluminum?

Thanks,
Lynn
Old 09-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #2
Bex
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Eckville, Lacombe County , Alberta
Send a message via Skype™ to Bex
Hmm, I thought that when brought to a mirror finish, nothing else needed to be done? Now I am re-thinking the stripping and polishing of our Argosy.
I have read a lot about Nuvite being the polish of choice.
I am subscribed to this thread to see what else comes up.

Bex

EDIT Just found this info: http://www.nuvitechemical.com/images...Procedures.pdf

A wise man once told me he wanted to stay fit enough to run a marathon on his hundredth birthday. Another said he wanted to be shot by a jealous husband on his, I'm with the latter. God bless you Richard.

Carpet Cleaning is what I do, it's not who I am.
Bex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I tried the basic gold carnuba (meguiars) and was similarly unimpressed. I'm looking for something that will provide sheeting action as I'm sick of water bead residue.

I stripped it off too

Looking forward to what other people have tried. I also tried sharkhide and it dulled the surface significantly IMHO.
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Used this product last week. Liquid Glass. Worked well, and as a first wax after polish it helped remove some water spots and fine oxidation that had reformed on some panels that were first done. Happy with the product. Just google it for a local distributor.
Attached Images

Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:11 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Interesting suggestion, David and Andrea! Just the kind of information I'm looking for!

Lynn
Old 10-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #6
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
Used this product last week. Liquid Glass. Worked well, and as a first wax after polish it helped remove some water spots and fine oxidation that had reformed on some panels that were first done. Happy with the product. Just google it for a local distributor.
+1 for Liquid Glass. Works great on cars/trucks as well.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I just clicked "place your order" on Amazon for it!

Lynn
Old 07-20-2014, 10:33 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

About the final waxing approach. We used "Heavy Traffic Floor Wax" from Home Depot.

Sounded totally crazy to me at first, but it's held up very well and still looks awesome on a fiberglass unit.

Anybody else try this wax approach as their 'clear coat'??

DETAILS: Last year we restored a "Fiberstream." Cute little, very lightweight, unit from the '80's. My research showed that many owners were using a rather unusual prep, polish, and finish approach. Took total of 6 hrs for entire process!

It's fully documented on the the Fiberglass RV site: New Fiber Stream Owner- Maryland - Fiberglass RV

After cleaning with TSP, scotch brite pads, and BarKeepers Friend scrub, it was finalized with four very light coats of the High Traffic Floor Wax.

We are in process of testing this final covering on an Airstream with a new Polishing Vendor here in Maryland (Rockville area). They were only doing tractor trailer units, but have expanded to other aluminum trailers (mostly food service) using a set of more advanced much less expensive polishing techniques. We will keep you posted on our test subject.
AirConditioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
I find the polymer sealants work well for me. I test the product on a mirror in my garage. If it clouds the mirror, it will cloud my Airstream. Polymer sealants like NuFinish and Race Car Glaze seem to help protect from water spotting and I don't get the hazing like I do with carnauba waxes. I see Cyclo sells one too, but I haven't tried it yet.

I wish Nuvite made a product for sealing up a polished aluminum surface.

David
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
Attending a local boat show here in Sarasota county I was introduced to a product call Fritz paint and metal polish. It is also available on Ebay, Amazon and auto stores, as well as West Marine. Best applied the paste with an applicator made for the product. I was and I am still amazed at how easy the application of the polish was and is.

Not cheap but what it does to aluminum after stripping the clear coat amazed me. Try it you'll like it. I have no connection with the product but wish I did it's really good.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:38 PM   #11
New and Eager

1972 27' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Loomis , California
Bill & Janice, we are just finishing removing the clear coat on our trailer. Did you use the Fritz product instead of the Nuvite polishing that most people seem to use? Would lov e more details on your results. We aren't going to attempt a mirror finish, just something nice and clean looking. Heck, just getting the clear coat off looks 100% better!
Thanks!
O Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 10:25 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Shiny View Post
Bill & Janice, we are just finishing removing the clear coat on our trailer. Did you use the Fritz product instead of the Nuvite polishing that most people seem to use? Would lov e more details on your results. We aren't going to attempt a mirror finish, just something nice and clean looking. Heck, just getting the clear coat off looks 100% better!
Thanks!
O Shiny, I am so happy with the results. At some point I will try to get a good picture of the results for all to see. I am in the middle of the project. As a friend of mine says, "life gets in the way". I was looking for the same results as you are striving for. Analogy: It is like getting a hair cut as it looks as it should, not like it was just cut, but nice and clean. The product works easily and with the applicator wheel for the drill makes it that easy. I was told that the preferred RPM speed for best results should be 1200 RPM. I was also told that 1 quart will do 25 feet of Airstream.

BTW I tried it on my wife's 1982 Mercedes 380 SL, which has oxidized paint, WOW, to my surprise, a SHINE! I was going to paint it but now maybe with Fritz, I won't have too we'll see. On the car I used an additional coat of spray wax. If I were you all I would search "youtube" for Fritz and see for yourselves. There are a few videos out there.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
Old 07-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1998 30' Excella 1000
Halifax , Nova Scotia
Is the product called Flitz vs Fritz?
Gilmurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #14
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilmurr View Post
Is the product called Flitz vs Fritz?
Sorry, must be dyslexia or something, so sorry FLITZ.

Airdreamers

WBCCI #8880
AIR #41310
Old 08-22-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
I have heard good things about Sharkhide. Never used it, but Colin Hyde on the VAP thinks it working pretty good. Its used protect boats.