Old 04-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Water Spots

As many of you know I am in the middle of polishing my 34' Excella. The trouble I am having is when it rains there are water spots on the area that is polished I can not get off unless I re-polish it. Granted this is only the first cut, but it came to mind the same problem is going to be present when the finish cut is done. There are many of you Airstream owners that have polished trailers and what I would like to know is what do you do to keep the water from spotting, or maybe how do you remove the spots. I did a search on this subject and came up with white vinigar and hot soapy water. This did not touch the spots. I tried waxing an area that is shiny and this helps but does not stop it from spotting. I am not fast enough to run outside and dry the trailer every time it rains.
Please, I am open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Al

Old 04-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
its normal

Welcome to the world of a polished Airstream. If you let the water dry...your stuck with the spot. Nuvite at the next annual polish is the only way I have found to get rid of the spots. Wax does not help much. Wait till you meet a big bird.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
ever try rain-x?
Old 04-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Archers,
I am not sure if you are getting the spots like we were...

When I first started polishing ours (started on the roof) I noticed a slight rainbow coloration in water spots as it dried. They were impossible to get off once they dried except by polishing again. After that first day's issues, I tried using mineral spirits on a cotton cloth (material diapers from Walmart actually) and cleaned each section right after polishing. This also removed the oxidation around rivets and seams well. After doing an afternoons polishing, I would wash the areas polished with just water and dry using a clean cotton cloth. This seemed to stop the permanent water spots. After rains, there are still some water spots that appear but easily wipe off using a damp cloth and drying.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 10:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Mine's full of water spots. I haven't touched up the polish yet this year, but it's on the to do list. I might have to give the mineral spirits a whirl. Tadd, you didn't put ANY wax on your rig at all? Did you go through a snowy winter & still have no spots?

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
Becky,
I didn't put anything on the camper after polishing since I plan to hit it each year with the cyclo and don't want to have to remove a coating every time. I finished around August of last year and haven't even washed it this year yet. The finish has dulled slightly on the front where I didn't polish it as well (I started there and learned as I went). Also, there was alot of pits from rocks on the front that still need another hit. I plan, once the inside is done and ready to camp, to hit the front with the compound polisher again and then cyclo the whole thing. That will probably happen near the end of this summer. I really haven't had any water spot issues after using the mineral spirits and washing it to remove the leftover polish after each session last year. Overall, the sides and back are still pretty much mirror. It could do with a wash though.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
At the end of each day of polishing I applied Turtle Wax (paste wax) over each section I polished that day. No more water spots.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:03 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
Thanks for all the suggestions, I am ready to try them all right now
Al
Old 04-27-2010, 03:25 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy 27
1969 21' Globetrotter
1953 25' Cruiser
Front Royal , Virginia
Last year after polishing I washed the whole thing with a RV wash and wax. This kept the spots at bay til we got the winter snows. But this year I was thinking about trying rainex. I see someone else asked the question but no response if anyone tried using it.

Has anyone tried rainex????
nick6930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2010, 02:01 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1986 34' Excella
Conroe , Texas
I don't think Rainex is a good solution. It has a petroleum base and unless you wipe it often dust will build up. If you decide to try it I would be curious to know how it worked.
Al
Old 04-30-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
I used Rejex on my Cessna 150 and it kept water spots at bay. It also made it easy to wipe off bug splats on the cowling and leading edges. Haven't tried it on my Airstream -- use Walbernize as it is gentle on the clearcoat (not an issue in your case).

mike