Old 04-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #1

2008 27' Safari FB SE
denver , Colorado
Washing in the Sun

Probably a silly question - but most cleaning / wax products warn against using in the sun. Living in Colorado we are lucky to have LOTS of sunshine. We store our baby outside, wash her 3 times a year or so but have yet to wax for the first time (Luna is 1 year old). We need to do so soon so I'm looking for ideas. I've read a lot in the forums about products and I'll probably use Meguiars but does anyone know about a product that can be applied in the sun?

2008 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8
hectormlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 05:35 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Any quality wax product will do, but when you apply it in the sun, work in small sections. Rub it on, rub it off and buff before moving to the next section. Limit the section sizes to your reach without moving your feet.

As far as products for the Airstream, I use only Dry Wash n' Guard. It is not a wax and also deep cleans. I have used this product on all of my cars, including our 1956 Thunderbird, for over 30 years. I first saw it on a Secret Service Detail in 1974. It's what they use on all of their vehicles. They even use it while wearing suits and ties for touch ups on official vehicles. I first bought some in 1976, and have used it exclusively ever since.

By the way, I do not own the company or have any connection with it.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:56 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
I've always found that wax just doesn't want to come off when it goes onto a hot surface. Why not plan your wax job so that you are always doing the shady parts?

I mean, while the sun is coming up in the east, do the west side. Late afternoon, do the east side.

Hey, there's lots of surface to do on the 27-footer, take your time and work in the shade, you'll enjoy it more betterer.
Old 04-23-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Living where I do, I had problems of when to wash and wax my trailer because of the temperatures. This may sound strange, but I'll wash and wax my trailer at night in the summer. I use a double spot light set up that is on a stand and is adjustable. I bought my light at Lowes or Home Depot. It's cooler at night and you don't have to hurry because of the sun heating things up. Most people are sleeping in my neighborhood so I can do this on the street in front of my house and not be bothered with traffic or the home owners assoc. nosing around.
It takes me most of the night to complete and I don't start until about 10 or 11pm. It works for me and I really don't mind missing one nights sleep.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:57 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Cleaing bug stains

I have bug stains on my front caps that are stuck like glue. I am not able to get them off with soap and water even with pressure using a terry cloth. Does any one know what would clear these stains without damaging the clearcoat?
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Peoria , Arizona
I wouldn't wash in the sun. What I have done is wash in pouring rain as an experiment. First I suds it all up in the rain with Meguires. I've found that a good rainwater rinse in a downpour dries clean and spot-free. No water marks and no hand drying! I wonder what the neighbors thought.
AZ-JH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
I have bug stains on my front caps that are stuck like glue. I am not able to get them off with soap and water even with pressure using a terry cloth. Does any one know what would clear these stains without damaging the clearcoat?

Try to use kerosene. You can add some (1/2 cup) kerosene to your wash water (2 Gal. bucket) that has carwash soap in it and use a soft cloth soaked in the mix to loosen the bugs and tar spots. Then rinse with water and rewash with just soapy water as normal and rinse and dry.
I won't hurt the new clear coat or the older Plasticoat finish.
If you have a real tough spot you can use kerosene full strengh on a rag but make sure you wash it off afterwards with soap.
Of course never do this in the sun and never while smoking a cig.
If bugs are sunk into the plasticoat type finish because they were left on the trailer too long, nothing but refinishing will help.
Old 06-05-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
I wouldn't wash in the sun. What I have done is wash in pouring rain as an experiment. First I suds it all up in the rain with Meguires. I've found that a good rainwater rinse in a downpour dries clean and spot-free. No water marks and no hand drying! I wonder what the neighbors thought.

Your neighbors need to talk to mine and compare notes. You save water doing it your way too! Now just wash it in the rain, and at night, if you want to get them talking!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Jamestown , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Try to use kerosene. You can add some (1/2 cup) kerosene to your wash water (2 Gal. bucket) that has carwash soap in it and use a soft cloth soaked in the mix to loosen the bugs and tar spots. Then rinse with water and rewash with just soapy water as normal and rinse and dry.
I won't hurt the new clear coat or the older Plasticoat finish.
If you have a real tough spot you can use kerosene full strengh on a rag but make sure you wash it off afterwards with soap.
Of course never do this in the sun and never while smoking a cig.
If bugs are sunk into the plasticoat type finish because they were left on the trailer too long, nothing but refinishing will help.
I tried the kerosene mix and eventually some kerosene directly on the cloth. Many of the stains are not coming off. I had just the center cap refinished at P and S last year and it has been cleaned since then so the bug stains have not been on there that long. The stains are coming off the two side front caps which are orgininal. If they will not come off you stated that it needs to be refinished. I'm wondering at this point if it comes to that if I would be better off just to have a new sheet from the factory replacing the center cap because the refinished part I'm having the problem with and not the orginials.
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-JH View Post
WOW! What a great idea! Thanks for sharing it

Our AS was in good shape, then we parked under some trees at the wrong time. Was looking really bad. A nice, heavy rainstorm came through a couple of days ago, she was parked in the open and got a pretty good cleaning. I WISH I had gone out and helped finish the job that night!

Have to check the weather report, looks like it wants to rain later here

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Be Not Afraid JMJ + AMDG

2008 25' Safari
Quiet Green , Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
As far as products for the Airstream, I use only Dry Wash n' Guard. It is not a wax and also deep cleans. I have used this product on all of my cars, including our 1956 Thunderbird, for over 30 years. I first saw it on a Secret Service Detail in 1974. It's what they use on all of their vehicles. They even use it while wearing suits and ties for touch ups on official vehicles. I first bought some in 1976, and have used it exclusively ever since.

By the way, I do not own the company or have any connection with it.

Brian
This looks interesting, Brian. I am a low maintenance kind of gal, and we have a well, so worry about excessive water use.

Went to their website, looks like they have a variety of products. Which do you use? Approx. how long does it take you to do this job, start to finish?

We have the same model as your Lucy, only on '08. Do you happen to know if we have the same clearcoat/aluminum as you? Don't want to do any add'l damage to the exterior finish

Thanks!

AIRSTREAM Life

"Color delights my spirit"
Roamin Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier View Post
I tried the kerosene mix and eventually some kerosene directly on the cloth. Many of the stains are not coming off. I had just the center cap refinished at P and S last year and it has been cleaned since then so the bug stains have not been on there that long. The stains are coming off the two side front caps which are orgininal. If they will not come off you stated that it needs to be refinished. I'm wondering at this point if it comes to that if I would be better off just to have a new sheet from the factory replacing the center cap because the refinished part I'm having the problem with and not the orginials.
There may be something else to try on it, I'm out of ideas. Andy at Inland RV might be a good person to talk to about cleaning that finish further, he is on this forum often. I'd PM him and see what he thinks.
An expert like Andy would be able to help you more to determine what cause it and how to fix it.
Another choice would be to call A/S direct and talk to a tech. about it.