Old 10-13-2015, 12:28 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Do you wax the roof also?

Kelvin
Yes... I stand on my trusty 6 foot ladder and apply wax with my crutch...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0006 waxing roof 2014.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	371.2 KB
ID:	250313  

Old 10-13-2015, 12:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
and then I buff it while standing on the ladder properly placed sideways next to trailer to prevent over reaching. (Note m.hony is right... the ladder's safety label states: "Caution: Do not stand above 2nd step from the top... You can lose your balance!"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0081 buffing top 2011.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	250314  

Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Safety concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
You should really get an 8 foot ladder. It is dangerous to stand where you are standing on the ladder. The ladder even has a label that says not to stand above this step. You could lose your balance, fall, and break a leg.
Thank you, m.hony for expressing your safety concerns regarding standing on a ladder. You're right, there is a warning label on the ladder, which states: "CAUTION: DO NOT STAND ABOVE 2ND STEP FROM TOP... YOU CAN LOSE YOUR BALANCE" and "DO NOT OVER-REACH."

Yesterday, I added an "Important safety note" regarding this on my original story, "Wash, wax and treat II."

Also, thanks for the suggestion to get an 8-foot ladder. I did consider doing so when my first ladder became too rickety. But when I felt the weight of the 8-foot ladder and remembered how often I have to pick up and reposition the ladder, I decided to get another 6-foot ladder that wasn't so rickety!

I think that when I am no longer able to properly balance myself on a ladder, it may be time to do something other than Airstreaming!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0258 Wash & wax time 2008.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	659.7 KB
ID:	250318  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:19 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
My wash, wax and treat photos of the years: 2009, 2010, and the year I got a new ladder: 2012!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0070 Wash & wax 2009.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	537.1 KB
ID:	250319   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0002 Wash & wax 2010.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	349.8 KB
ID:	250321  

Name:	DSC_0201 new ladder - 2012!.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	379.3 KB
ID:	250322  
Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
I have also used Corrosion X to successfully stop the growth of filiform corrosion, but it feels a bit more oily, and I like how Boeshield T-9 dries more quickly and leaves a protective residue just before I wax.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0267 Have also used Corrosion X.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	372.4 KB
ID:	250323  
Old 10-13-2015, 01:51 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I use an old Werner 8' ladder that looks just like your Werner 6' ladder, only 2' taller.
It is not heavy or rickety.
2' more of ladder really only gives 1' higher up the side of the trailer due to increased reach over the curved sides.
This afternoon, I plan to wash more of the roof from the 8' ladder with a telescoping brush. I have the center section of the roof- sky lights, air conditioners- left. In 20-20 hindsight I should have done that first, but with limited time I wanted to get the parts most seen first.
To wax the center section, I will try fastening a microfiber or terry cloth towel to my brush.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 09:05 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Classic
Ivanhoe , Virginia
Silvergate
What do you use for bug removal? I've been using dryer sheets on my other Rv's with gel oat finish, as well as on tv and dw's Subaru with great success, but am a little leery of using on aluminum and stainless on the front. What can you suggest?
Thanks.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:14 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by senioryakker View Post
Silvergate
What do you use for bug removal? I've been using dryer sheets on my other Rv's with gel oat finish, as well as on tv and dw's Subaru with great success, but am a little leery of using on aluminum and stainless on the front. What can you suggest?
Thanks.
I'm originally from N.J. and I think we have less bugs in San Diego County (where we do all of our camping) than on the East Coast.

I can only suggest what works for me and mentioned in my article, "Wash, wax and treat II." I use a good quality car wash, Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash, and when I come across an insect, yellow stain, or bird dropping, I use my thumbnail and the washing solution to remove it!
Old 10-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Thanks for the washing-waxing tips SilverGate. For someone looking at 70, your in better shape than most 40yr olds. One benefit to R.V.ing... it keeps you moving. Nice job on your website.
Old 10-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Exercising the Airstream keeps it in shape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Thanks for the washing-waxing tips SilverGate. For someone looking at 70, your in better shape than most 40yr olds. One benefit to R.V.ing... it keeps you moving. Nice job on your website.
Yes, and we can't wait to get the Airstream moving again during our upcoming fall-winter-spring camping season. Exercising the Airstream keeps the Airstream and me in shape!

Thanks, streaminwild, for your nice comments!
Old 10-16-2015, 11:16 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Great thread thanks. Doing my maiden voyage in my new 2013 FC 19 next week on the Oregon coast and will be following your maintenance plan as soon as I get home. It has been stored indoors its whole life after being used twice, and has no signs of corrosion. Hope to keep it that way.

Just to be clear--after washing and drying, should I apply the Boeshield all over, or just along panel seams and rivet lines. And then, after wiping off the excess and letting it dry, wax right over it?

Being on the coast next week before having a chance to treat or wax it, is there much risk of corrosion getting a start in such a short time? Thanks again for the great advice.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:10 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
On your return trip from Oregon stop by at a coin operated car wash inland somewhere and give your trailer a rinse to get off any salt from the coastal climes. You don't even have to dry it. Just take off down the road to dry it. When you get back home then give it the good detail wash and wax.

Kelvin
Old 10-16-2015, 01:33 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
San Diego , California
Protecting your Airstream along the coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcskier View Post
Great thread thanks. Doing my maiden voyage in my new 2013 FC 19 next week on the Oregon coast and will be following your maintenance plan as soon as I get home. It has been stored indoors its whole life after being used twice, and has no signs of corrosion. Hope to keep it that way.

Just to be clear--after washing and drying, should I apply the Boeshield all over, or just along panel seams and rivet lines. And then, after wiping off the excess and letting it dry, wax right over it?

Being on the coast next week before having a chance to treat or wax it, is there much risk of corrosion getting a start in such a short time? Thanks again for the great advice.
Thanks for your comments and questions!

The humidity in Park City, Utah, (where I assume you're storing your Airstream) is currently 39%, whereas, on the Oregon coast, such as Tillamook, it is at or near 100% today. So yes, there is a risk of filiform corrosion getting started.

So if I were you, I'd get a 12-oz. can or two of Boeshield T-9 Boeshield T-9 and spray a light coating along filiform corrosion susceptible areas, such as along the belt-line, seams, rivet holes, areas where the awning is riveted to the trailer, taillight housing bezels, main door handle, and wheel rims, to give the Airstream some protection, especially from the moist, salty, coastal air.

Notes:

1. I do not apply Boeshield T-9 "all over". I only apply it where there is a break in the surface of clear coated aluminum or on the susceptible areas noted above.

2. Boeshield T-9's "Directions for Use" (as stated on the can): "Heavy Coating - Spray and allow to dry. "Light Coating: Spray on and wipe off."

Since you are leaving for the coast next week, if I were you, I'd at least do a light coating of Boeshield T-9 before departing and would rinse off salt deposits as soon as possible upon return, including opening and rinsing off the awning. Then, as time permits, do the wash and wax as suggested in Wash, wax and treat II.

Have a great maiden cruise!
Old 10-16-2015, 02:04 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
Park City , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGate View Post
Thanks for your comments and questions!

The humidity in Park City, Utah, (where I assume you're storing your Airstream) is currently 39%, whereas, on the Oregon coast, such as Tillamook, it is at or near 100% today. So yes, there is a risk of filiform corrosion getting started.

So if I were you, I'd get a 12-oz. can or two of Boeshield T-9 Boeshield T-9 and spray a light coating along filiform corrosion susceptible areas, such as along the belt-line, seams, rivet holes, areas where the awning is riveted to the trailer, taillight housing bezels, main door handle, and wheel rims, to give the Airstream some protection, especially from the moist, salty, coastal air.

Notes:

1. I do not apply Boeshield T-9 "all over". I only apply it where there is a break in the surface of clear coated aluminum or on the susceptible areas noted above.

2. Boeshield T-9's "Directions for Use" (as stated on the can): "Heavy Coating - Spray and allow to dry. "Light Coating: Spray on and wipe off."

Since you are leaving for the coast next week, if I were you, I'd at least do a light coating of Boeshield T-9 before departing and would rinse off salt deposits as soon as possible upon return, including opening and rinsing off the awning. Then, as time permits, do the wash and wax as suggested in Wash, wax and treat II.

Have a great maiden cruise!
Thanks! After posting the questions, I checked around for somewhere in Eugene Oregon I can get some Corrosion X when I arrive Monday, and do a quick application before heading to the coast. Will get some spray wax and five her a shot of that all over as well. I think I found a couple hardware stores where I can get Corrosion X. Then will get a full slate of supplies including Boeshield after I get home. Or maybe I'll just take her straight home, put her in storage and never take her out!