Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2006, 10:11 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Walbernize - Or Something Else

Are AS'ers still using Walbernize to clean/wax their trailers? I don't see it sold on some of the AS related websites any more. Is there something else that has come along that I am not aware of? Thanks

AJ
montanaandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanaandy
Are AS'ers still using Walbernize to clean/wax their trailers? I don't see it sold on some of the AS related websites any more. Is there something else that has come along that I am not aware of? Thanks

AJ
Depends who you talk to. I still use it and can find it here:

http://www.airstream.com/shop/dynami...=cat&offset=10

and here:

http://www.walbernize.com/
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 12:46 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

I bought a bottle of Walbernizer about two months ago at a A/S dealer. I think every A/S dealer that Ibeen in carries it. Thats the only cleaner/wax I use on the A/S. I think most dealers will ship stuff to you.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:26 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:

AJ
Still use it---------------PIEMAN
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I use it too. I can get about 3 applications for my 22' from one bottle.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 05:16 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
A Test

I'm currently in test mode.......I just waxed the curb side of my 19CCD with Walbernize and the street side with a polymer product called Rejex (something I've been using on my vehicles for the last 5 years.) The applications were similar. let's see in a few months which lasts better and has the easiest dirt, tar and road grime removel characteristics.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:07 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
Well, it's time to knock the winter crud off and I was thinking of using some of the Walbernize products. That is until I checked their website, and for all three products (wax, glaze and sealer) it reads "NOT RECOMENDED FOR CLEARCOAT FINISHES". Isn't that what we have? Isn't the coating on the newer rigs clearcoat???? I have a 2003 Safari, looks like clearcoat to me. Would love to see the MSDS for this stuff. According to AS we're not supposed to use "petroleum based products" on this finish. Regular old carnuba wax passes this test, so how is it that Walbernize is the product of choice? Any comments? Thanks,
Jack
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #8

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Your 2003 is a prefinished panel which is coated by Alcoa prior to being shipped to Airstream. You can use the Walbernize Super Seal product. It does a great job on that finish. My dealer uses this on every Airstream he sells.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #9
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari
Would love to see the MSDS for this stuff. According to AS we're not supposed to use "petroleum based products" on this finish. Regular old carnuba wax passes this test, so how is it that Walbernize is the product of choice?
hi wasafari

i also wanted a msds for wallerbize products......haven't found one yet....

here however, is an interesting little bit from alcoa about airstreams...

http://www.alcoa.com/car_truck/en/success_airstream.asp

and a thread reported to be instructions from alcoa on caring for the finish...

http://www.airforums.com/forum...ighlight=alcoa

notice there is nothing regarding wax/polish suggested...by alcoa

the clearcoat applied by alcoa isn't the same clearcoat used over pigmented autopaints....
i had the product specs once but cannot locate them....
i think it's a ppg 2 step process (but don't quote me)....du 1000 over dpu 35....as i recall.

for hard to remove stuff on the paint airstream recommends
"dx 330 acryli-clean"
http://www.pwpaints.com/images/downl...ners-P-178.pdf

which IS made by ppg....supporting the idea they also make the finish....

i also use 3m wax, adhesive and silicone remover and a clay bar.....

and "meguiars scratch x" for light abrasions...

anyway back to your "product of choice"....check the owners manual...

"a good grade of nonabrasive automotive paste or liquid wax will increase the life of the finish"

so for the alcoa applied finish walbernize is no longer the defacto product...

i tried several waxes i've used happily for autos...and a patch of wallyb...
many still like it and use it...

the goop that looked the best for me, and lasted the longest....
has since been applied to the full trailer.
i'm very happy with the results.....meguiars polymer sealant.

http://www.autogeek.net/meg20polseal.html

lewster is also experimenting with a liquid siloxiane based sealant...we are awaiting his report. one issue with the product he is trying.......needs to 'cure' 12 hours for max effectiveness....but that may not be a problem.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:29 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasafari
Well, it's time to knock the winter crud off and I was thinking of using some of the Walbernize products. That is until I checked their website, and for all three products (wax, glaze and sealer) it reads "NOT RECOMENDED FOR CLEARCOAT FINISHES". Isn't that what we have?
My understanding of this is that maybe the Walbernize site is not accurate about its own products.(Stranger things have happened!) My understanding is that there are two Walbernize products that we can use, and the original manufacturer's website confirms this at http://www.asteccorp.com/Detailing.htm.
One Walbernize, the "original", contains an abrasive, and could be used on uncoated Airstreams. The other type "Super Seal" does not contain the abrasive, and is safe for clear-coated Airstreams. The second sort is the one I use. You can find both sorts on the same shelf, and it is necessary, in my experience, to read carefully the labels on the bottles, all of which bear the prominent legend "Walbernize".
Nick
Old 04-08-2006, 08:18 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
spokane , Washington
thanks to all.With that being settled I guess there's no excuses but to get after it.........
wasafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 01:24 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Are AS'ers still using Walbernize

Quote:
Are AS'ers still using Walbernize to clean/wax their trailers? AJ
Yes, I use Walbernize RV Super Seal on my 1995 Excella.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 02:39 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
I use Non-Toxic, Biodegradable Simple Green in a diluted form to clean up our 30' Classic. This stuff is great for cleaning the road grime. We just completed a 3,000 mile, two and a half week trip and I cleaned her up with this product and a soft brush with plenty of water. Once I was finished, she looked as bright as she did two years ago when I towed her off the lot new.
Old 04-09-2006, 07:43 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Interim Test Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster
I'm currently in test mode.......I just waxed the curb side of my 19CCD with Walbernize and the street side with a polymer product called Rejex (something I've been using on my vehicles for the last 5 years.) The applications were similar. let's see in a few months which lasts better and has the easiest dirt, tar and road grime removel characteristics.
Hi Gang,

I just got done washing the toaster. It has been in storage (outside) since I did the wax job on it last month. From a wash perspective, the side with the Rejex (www.corrosionx.com) seemed to clean much easier.......most dirt came off with just the hose! The Walbernize side needed more effort to get the acumulated stuff off the surface. I usually use a super soft wash brush on a long extension pole, but I hand washed this time to see if there was any diference between the finishes.

I think I'll be using the Rejex from now on. And for newer trailers, the coating is factory applied by Alcoa to the bulk aluminum rolls that A/S uses, so there is no plastic clear coat applied by Airstream. Any quality wax finish will work, so use what your preferred product. Trying to convince someone to use one wax product over another is like discussing engine oil. I'll defer on that one!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Walbernize fine but how about just plain washing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoominC6
I use Non-Toxic, Biodegradable Simple Green in a diluted form to clean up our 30' Classic. This stuff is great for cleaning the road grime. We just completed a 3,000 mile, two and a half week trip and I cleaned her up with this product and a soft brush with plenty of water. Once I was finished, she looked as bright as she did two years ago when I towed her off the lot new.
Zoomin'
I was happy to see someone post info on "washing" their AS. However, I see you have a 2004. What is best to use for a Vintage Trailer? My paperwork says to use boiled linseed oil to remove the road grime on the lower portions and then wash with Dawn dish soap. Of course this was 45 years ago and dawn may have changed their formula.

et al,

To be honest nothing I have tried does not leave spots etc. I am hoping that if I Walbernize it will not spot so easily. Is this likely?
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Hey there Gypsy.
My guess would be that once waxed, the water spotting will be minimalized. A good trick may be to utilize a California Squeegie (silicone based strip on a handle) or something of equal quality that will not scratch immediately after a final rinse. I've used one of these on my show cars for years and they work great. The final drying process is much easier and takes quite a bit less time, effort and cotton towels. If you have a cleaning partner, I would imagine you can get it done before the sun has time to spot the few areas that might bead water on a vertical, well waxed surface. I can recommend Canon towels for drying as they are 100% cotton with cotton threads for the edge bindings. Other towels utilize nylon threads and will scratch your aluminum, paint or clearcoatings. If in doubt about the binding threads, just put a gas cigarette lighter to the threads and if they melt.....well, you get the picture. WalMart is the cheapest place to purchase the Canon products. If you use towels, be certain to use white and not colored towels as the dyed products are a bit rougher and will scratch as well.
Good luck. There's nothing prettier than a well polished Vintage Airstream Trailer rolling across the countryside in my opinion.