Old 04-09-2006, 09:17 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member
1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Walbernize fine but how about just plain washing?

Originally Posted by ZoominC6
I use Non-Toxic, Biodegradable Simple Green in a diluted form to clean up our 30' Classic. This stuff is great for cleaning the road grime. We just completed a 3,000 mile, two and a half week trip and I cleaned her up with this product and a soft brush with plenty of water. Once I was finished, she looked as bright as she did two years ago when I towed her off the lot new.
I was happy to see someone post info on "washing" their AS. However, I see you have a 2004. What is best to use for a Vintage Trailer? My paperwork says to use boiled linseed oil to remove the road grime on the lower portions and then wash with Dawn dish soap. Of course this was 45 years ago and dawn may have changed their formula.

et al,

To be honest nothing I have tried does not leave spots etc. I am hoping that if I Walbernize it will not spot so easily. Is this likely?

Charter Member FCU • WBCCI 1818 • CP(Courtesy Parking) • Wi-Fi
My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 10:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2004 30' Classic Slideout
College Town USA , Virginia
Hey there Gypsy.
My guess would be that once waxed, the water spotting will be minimalized. A good trick may be to utilize a California Squeegie (silicone based strip on a handle) or something of equal quality that will not scratch immediately after a final rinse. I've used one of these on my show cars for years and they work great. The final drying process is much easier and takes quite a bit less time, effort and cotton towels. If you have a cleaning partner, I would imagine you can get it done before the sun has time to spot the few areas that might bead water on a vertical, well waxed surface. I can recommend Canon towels for drying as they are 100% cotton with cotton threads for the edge bindings. Other towels utilize nylon threads and will scratch your aluminum, paint or clearcoatings. If in doubt about the binding threads, just put a gas cigarette lighter to the threads and if they melt.....well, you get the picture. WalMart is the cheapest place to purchase the Canon products. If you use towels, be certain to use white and not colored towels as the dyed products are a bit rougher and will scratch as well.
Good luck. There's nothing prettier than a well polished Vintage Airstream Trailer rolling across the countryside in my opinion.

In dog years, I'm dead!
ZoominC6 is offline   Reply With Quote