Old 04-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
The Defender is a 1988 so it's the newest that can be imported to the US. 5 door 110 right hand drive 200TDI diesel. We just checked her out from Skytop Rover in Philly and she's being delivered this week!

She's been maintained great, super clean underneath. The interior is funky and needs some cosmetic work. The exterior has been painted once and looks good in the pics but when you get close you can see it's a little funky too. We weren't really looking for one with a nice paint job but she had been well loved both inside and out and we new she was the one.

Land Rover + Overlander = Rover Lander!

GYPSET - adj. an unconventional, bohemian approach to life characterized by a fashionable exoticism and down-to-earth ease. (a portmanteau word: the wiles of a gypsey mixed with the sophistication of the jetset)

Gypset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 12:45 AM   #16
SAS

2011 27 FB International
1962 22' Safari
1987 34.5' Airstream 345
Fallbrook , California
Congrats. The defender is a great towing vehicle if comfort is not a priority. I had one and loved it despite all the headaches it gave me.

Good luck with your project. It sounds like fun.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:45 AM   #17
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
Quote:
Land Rover + Overlander = Rover Lander!
OR
Land Rover + Overlander = LandLander.

or

Land Rover + Overlander = RoverOver.

On edit:
I thought MTV doesn't even play music videos anymore. I really don't understand the point of a music video in 2013.

Furthermore, bikinis just seems so passe.. isn't the sexualization of anything and everything such a 90's thing? Why not something with more character or creativity.put the band in mechanic's jumpsuits or something...

Shouldn't your music be able to stand on it's own without needing to 'sell it' with womens' bodies? I know this sounds feminist, and I am really not ... but selling your music with sex just seems so... cliche. unoriginal. boring. done already.

if you are CREATIVE, and interesting, and different.. which any indie band should be... why not have your video reflect that?
Old 04-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1955 22' Safari
Butte , Montana
I think your idea of a time laps video is really cool! I would like to see it with, or without bikini girls.

I will try to help you here with a few methods that might work for you.

1. The Caswells wheels. Read about it here
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...ml#post1076438
I just bought a Harbor Freight polisher for $45. Its cheaper, lighter and works fine.
The brown bar and sewn wheel will take off heavy oxidation. Wear face protection to avoid eye injury and breathing aluminum dust.

Don't go too far with the brown bar. it can remove the shiny anodized layer of aluminum. Your trailer is pretty old. So it may be heavily oxidized. This method might be easiest to cut through heavy oxidation.

2. Nuvite from perfectpolish.com.
you will need to buy both a grinder for compounding and then a cyclo polisher to get out swirl marks. It is a good way to go as well. Some people start with the Caswell bars then use Nuvite fine grade polish with the cyclo polisher to take it to a mirror shine.

3. I used Truck Box Polish from Lowe's on my first trailer. Some might consider this heresy, but here are the tradeoffs. I applied it with w Mothers Power ball on my cordless drill. I used this because I was out of money after my restoration and it was inexpensive and fairly easy. Here are the trade offs

The good,
You dont have to buy new tools. Therefore its less expensive, gives a nice shine. Doesn't create swirl marks to be polished out with a Cyclo polisher. I thought it was pretty quick and easy. It also didn't put black aluminum dust in the air for me to breathe. No black face. I didn't look like Al Jolson when I was done. This might work well for your polishing party. I just polished and wiped off with mineral spirits on Viva paper towels. Buy a bottle for $13 at Lowes and try it on a small section to see what you think. You can just rub it on by hand with an old sweat shirt to test.
The negative.
It does not compound the Aluminum. It won't heal out pit marks etc. You won't get the true mirror shine that the nuvite will give. Hope this helps.

I would love to see your band play someday
Old 04-07-2013, 02:37 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Thanks Wheelerimage, I will research your suggestions!

Yes MTV is over. Music videos are for YouTube now which is a huge way that bands break these days. Music labels just want to see that you have a million views on YouTube before they'll invest anything into new music. The concept is to make a fun video that will get a lot of attention.

Also the sexuality in what we do comes from breaking stereotypes and cliches, not following them. For example, in our band we have 2 girl drummers (Carolina on drum set and I play African drums). As the "Chicks on Sticks" we are empowering to other girls who always comment that they love to see girls rocking it and holding their own with the boys. And the boys don't seem to mind either . So having girls get down and dirty with "man work" on trucks and trailers is in line with our character and shows that girls can do anything a guy can do. And if we can be sexy while we do it more power to us! It's a little different than a band of dudes saying "let's get a bunch of hot chicks to make a music video!" Our girls are an important part of our Tribe and many of them are also performers, hula hoop and fire dancers and drummers with us as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-397134869.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	182691

Name:	image-3572803641.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	182692

Name:	image-407732006.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	218.8 KB
ID:	182693

Name:	image-3389364111.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	182694

Name:	image-524147400.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	165.7 KB
ID:	182698
GYPSET - adj. an unconventional, bohemian approach to life characterized by a fashionable exoticism and down-to-earth ease. (a portmanteau word: the wiles of a gypsey mixed with the sophistication of the jetset)

Old 04-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Overlander + Land Rover = OverLandRover

Old 04-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

I think it's hilarious, but you might want to consider the liability of getting Alzheimer's from exposure to aluminum particles and no protection.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Definitely need protection. Hmm maybe we should wear those crazy military style gas mask things! That will match the Land Rover at least as Defenders are the original British military vehicles.

Old 04-07-2013, 03:03 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
And we'll eat lots of curry! (India has the lowest rates of Alzheimer's because of the antioxidants in the combo of turmeric + black pepper. My mom is an integrative medical dr and informs me of these things)

Old 04-08-2013, 12:11 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1959 26' Overlander
Montauk , New York
Here are 2 videos of Land Rover Series IIIs featuring polished Aluminium (They're English so it's Aluminium, not Aluminum):

landrover polished aluminium - YouTube

Polished Aluminum Land Rover - YouTube

The guy from the video above commented "These vintage Rovers are made from a material called Birmabright....which is not just aluminum, but an alloy of aluminum, magnesium and manganese.....it is this specific combination of metals that prevent the aluminum from oxidizing. I tested this myself by stripping the paint off the hood and read door first, and letting them weather normally, without wax or polish or protectant for a full six years before stripping and polishing the rest of the rover. After six full years in the weather....there was NO oxidation whatsoever!"

Old 04-08-2013, 05:43 AM   #25
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
As a feminist, I vote for bikinis!
All aluminum produced is an alloy. Without the other metals mixed in, it would have very little strength. The recipe dictates how it functions and for what it is to be used. It is, that the mix contains higher levels of those other metals that it has not oxidized (in levels you can actually notice) during this time. Pure aluminum wants to oxidize at a very rapid rate. This is why zero oxygen cannot be present when welding aluminum. I would rather be in an oxide form than it pure state.

Now when do we get to see your tribal video? I for one love music videos. I was watching MTV when it went on the air and miss seeing them regularly.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #26
Rivet Master

What did you mean by touring " set up " ?

It might not be worth the effort to bring a trailer on tour. I don't think an SUV is capable of carrying equipment, the band, and towing a trailer. An Airstream sure would be a luxury to have at gigs, as a green room ( for a few people )
not so much for a whole band. Parking it would often be a hassle. The water tank holds enough for one or two Long Haired Lady full tilt showers.

I rigged my trailer up as a recording studio. I basically use it as a vocal booth, and only record one instrument at a time. I get out of the house and enjoy privacy to make mistakes, and hit bad notes. It really only works in nice weather as the AC and heater are noisy
Old 04-08-2013, 06:36 AM   #27
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinergirl View Post
I suppose if they greased themselves up first it might come off easier?
Hope none of them are blonde, cause they won't be when they are finished!
Serious suggestion, taught to me by my dad, who was a jet engine mechanic for the Air Force, and then ran a small engine repair shop working on lawn mowers, chain saws, and weed eaters to keep himself busy during his retirement.

Before starting a dirty job like that, bathe. But DON'T rinse off the soap. Let it dry on your skin. Then, when you get dirty, it's actually the layer of soap getting dirty, and it washes off easily afterwards. Of course, in his case he didn't have to worry about the whole-body thing, just face and hands, because he wore shop overalls.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:10 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
1972 Argosy 22
1947 22' Liner
Hillpoint , Wisconsin
I would think you could just have on group of people as the grunts to do the polishing and then have the bikini clad helpers just step in once in a while for the photos like others have suggested. I don’t think anyone would want the polish splattered all over then selves so just use make up to mimic the effect as the trailer gets closer and closer to completion. Just a thought you could also have the girls dressed in vintage work cloths and make up while working on it as well or pin up style swimwear like a pin up girl.

1947 liner #1032
1950 liner #1451
1965 Airstream Safari
Sprouty is offline   Reply With Quote