Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Bethany , Oklahoma
Using Aircraft Paint Remover without water??

Hello! I'm beginning the process of stripping my AS and I'm in a neighborhood without drains on the street. Not only that, but my house has no exterior water source. I've bought a gallon of Aircraft Paint Remover from PepBoys and the directions say to "flush with solvent or water." Can I use mineral-spirits soaked rags or do I need to just suck it up and park her in a car wash for a day? Thanks!
Old 04-01-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Use water and lots of it to naturalize the stripper. You can get an adapter to hook a hose up to a sink faucet
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2015, 07:37 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Did you mean neutralize? You want to wash all the stripper out of cracks and crevasses so it does not continue to dissolve caulk and seals. It will eat any rubber or plastic eventually.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Yes, spell check strikes again
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 11:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 19' Globetrotter
South Kingstown , Rhode Island
It's kind of gross, but the stuff will drain into the ground. I just stripped mine, re did a couple of areas just yesterday. I used the PPG product, and used a hose with a 3/4" supply to blast the stuff off. I had done most of the trailer using a big sponge and soapy water to wash the stuff off, and then a hose. The sponge worked, use long heavy rubber gloves and full face protection. The PPG product was strong, I imagine what you have will be more stinky. One thought I had before starting was to use old sheets laid on the ground to catch the plastic coat as it was stripped off, letting the water flow through to the ground. Then, the sheets are disposed of with the gunk inside. Good luck
Old 05-04-2015, 03:04 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1993 25' Excella
CLeveland , Ohio
I used the aircraft stripper (paint remover) from Advanced auto parts. Then I used a buffer and Diamond Brite truck box cleaner from Lowes. I stripped all of the clear coating and decals off. This took the most time (a week off and on). The truck box cleaner took a full day which WAS DONE TODAY.

For a 22 year old trailer that was totally tarnished on the top half, this more than exceeded my expectations.

We appliedthe truck box cleaner with a buffer, let it sit for 15 minutes, cleaned with towels and then one more buffing. See pics.

Note how dull the aluminum was on the entire top half by viewing the far left.

Note that I do not have the finished job because it is pouring outside!
Akronguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
How did the rest of the stripping and polishing go? Did you use the "Kleen Strip Aircraft Paint Remover"? http://www.pepboys.com/product/details/9884641/01036 Was a gallon enough for the entire trailer? I am thinking about getting starting on this in the next week or so...
AirstreamPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:17 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Citri Strip

I used Citri Strip to remove the Clearcoat from '72 Ambassador.

It works great.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I would "not" recommend using aircraft stripper without a good water supply I used a lot of water flushing the stuff off.

Also be sure to use safety eye wear, good rubber gloves and long sleeve shirt you do not want to get this stuff on your skin.

I taped all windows and anything I did not want the stripper on and it still it leaked onto the front rock shield and streaked it.

Lots of hard work but very rewarding once completed.
Old 08-20-2015, 06:15 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
There is no reason to use Aircraft Stripper to remove Airstream Clearcoat.

It will wash right off with Citri Strip.You can buy this at any big box store.

and if you get some on your arm,your dog or your airstream sealants/rubber etc

It wont eat a hole thru it.