Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 09:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Gords then 3M...

Guys,
I used the Gords for the first time this past week. The directions do say to use 0000 steel wool (as Gords is primarily designed for chrome and aluminum without Alclad) but I decided to use a micro-fiber cloth instead. The main focus is to keep the polish on the metal in a liquid form as long as possible. It took several applications, but it did do a really good job of removing the extremely heavy oxidation without a lot of rubbing. However, once the heavy stuff was gone (it kind of just dissolves and then you hose it off) I still used a 7" buffer and Nuvite C on the trailer to prep it for the final stages. However, despite the popularity of Nuvite; I checked with some local automotive shops and friends who do repair work and painting and using their input I used 3ms' final polish and final glaze systems and they worked awesome. They were roughly 1/4 the price of Nuvite which is important to me as I have limited resources for this project. I wanted a high polish without swirl marks and I did NOT want a true mirror shine and the 3m products worked great! Don't get me wrong, the Nuvite worked really well, but I just have a problem with $27 for 8 ounces. It's polish...not caviaar! Before someone with a lack of humor or an excess of cynicism pipes up...I DON'T work for Gords or 3M and YES I AM a new member who is daring to try something new and talk about it! I have great respect for experience and tradition, but if that was all we used in this world...the globes would all still be flat maps wouldn't they?

Old 06-16-2006, 09:40 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93
I wanted a high polish without swirl marks and I did NOT want a true mirror shine and the 3m products worked great!
Will you let us know how it turned out? Some pictures perhaps?
If this polishing thing becomes too much of a pain, then I am going to go for an even, but dull finish, basically really clean aluminum. I am 70% done with the traditional method of compounding and then cycloing, but am wondering how the finish will last.
I did use Nuvite, mothers, Heavy Metal, 3M, sandpaper and all sorts of methods to celan up problem areas, but hteh Nuvite and Heavy Metal worked best. I want to add that my trailer was heavily corrodet, having sat in moist Washington state most of it's life.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:23 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
You have committed the original sin on this Forum- NEVER criticize Nuvite!

You're toast...

LOL!! I know...for my next trick I am going to verbally roast Rolite and the Cyclo method!!! Seriously, the Nuvite worked great but I figured there had to be something out there that worked as good or nearly as good for less money...The 3M worked really well. I also used the 3M mid-cut polish in the place of the Nuvite and it worked about 90% as well, just took a little more time. It was also a lot cheaper!!
-Don
Old 06-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Yep, I'll be glad to as I have been documenting my polshing efforts with my digital camera. As I said before, the Nuvite worked really well, no doubt about it, but it is definately NOT for someone on a tight budget. The 3M Perfect It II fine polish, 3M 3000 Final Glaze and the 3M mid-cut (55 I think) worked very well. As I said, using the 3M mid-cut in the place of Nuvite C actually worked well, just took a bit more time but the results were comparable and it's cheaper. I've also been experimenting with an orbital 6" polisher and synthetic wool high polish pads and it is also working well and is a lot cheaper than the CYCLO. In the end, it's what you want and what you have to spend I guess!! -Don
Old 06-17-2006, 10:38 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Pics Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93
Guys and Gals,

I just got my Gords' aluminum polish in today and I will be trying it out this evening. I have part of my A/S done with Nuvite F7 and I will be doing a section next to it with Gords. I am taking pics for comparison and "posterity" so I'll try to post them along with my evaluation of the Gords' polish. Keep in touch!!!
-Don
Hi Don, Thanks for opening a new avenue in polishing. I like to see new ideas and the fact your putting forth the time and effort to show the members your results is great. I tried to do searches on polishing in the forums, but it seems the posts always go astray. I guess I don't have the attention span to filter through the strong personal views of some members. Basically, I just like the facts of what you have done without to commits that take the thread off coarse. I look forward to your results Don. Thanks

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 10:45 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
holy crappola! I'll buy a tool under almost any pretext, but Airmark is sorta out there on the right end of the scale. well, I thought I had a good handle on the scale until I saw the price of their 25 hp air compressor! Now the scale is much wider. I might consider an Airmark polisher, but I'd have to find a suitable air compressor that wasn't obviously Shuttle rated (as in NASA)....
Zeppelinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 12:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
I had a good idea ,

Everyone post all the different types of methods they use or try for polishing,
3M paint polishes or nuvite ,metall ,gords, what a shine etc. and the tools we use or like ,everyone benefits from the experiences of each other and that's
the idea here.If you can't afford a cyclo ,don't bash it ,or airmark expensive,
yes , but the pros use it and its the best ,no swirls period.We'll all just use what works and what our budgets allow and in the end hopefully we'll be towing shiny trailers that we are happy with .One product or idea that works does not nullify somthing else that is just as good or better because its cheaper or expensive ,either way the objective we share is the same.

Scott
Old 06-19-2006, 01:14 AM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottanlily
I had a good idea ,

Everyone post all the different types of methods they use or try for polishing,
3M paint polishes or nuvite ,metall ,gords, what a shine etc. and the tools we use or like ,everyone benefits from the experiences of each other and that's
the idea here.If you can't afford a cyclo ,don't bash it ,or airmark expensive,
yes , but the pros use it and its the best ,no swirls period.We'll all just use what works and what our budgets allow and in the end hopefully we'll be towing shiny trailers that we are happy with .One product or idea that works does not nullify somthing else that is just as good or better because its cheaper or expensive ,either way the objective we share is the same.

Scott
Great thought Scott - I've seen to many of these polishing threads degenerate into a schoolyard melee.

So far I've used "Met-All, and "Diamond Brite". I've used them by hand, with a 10" buffer, and a 7" cheapo polisher from Harbor Freight. Both polishes are working great for removing the heavy corrosion. What has worked best (shine) so far is actually the "Met-All" BY HAND in a linear motion! (Lots of effort involved though - definitely not recommended for the whole trailer!) Best (least amount of effort/time) is the cheapo polisher and the "Diamond Brite" with terry cloth bonnets.
I've got a buffing wheel that I'm trying around the window frames, but so far I can't get it tight enough on the polisher to be real effective.
Reading about the Airmark makes me wonder if anyone has successfully made/used something similiar from multiple cloth buffing wheels?
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 08:56 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Baton Rouge , Louisiana
Scott:
Awesome idea!! I am just not content with the status quo. I may come back to the tried and true in the end but only after I try new stuff!! I'll post my results and lists of what I used.
-Don
Old 06-19-2006, 10:59 AM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Polishing near complete.

My experiences with polishing so far...

I'm nearly complete polishing my trailer. I did order some Nuvite f7, c and s to try out. So far, I found that 3M super heavy duty rubbing compound worked much better than Nuvite F7 for compounding. It's considerably less expensive and removed most of the heavy oxidation much easier. The rubbing compound didn't leave as good a shine as the Nuvite during compounding, but that was just the first step anyway. I then bought a cyclo from Amazon.com (it was $212) and some black pads from Perfect Polish. The trailer was then cycloed with the F7, then C and what I have left is to go over it with the S. Right now it is extremely shiny although not perfect as some parts look slightly hazy in the right light, but maybe the S will take care of that. If not, it's gonna have to wait till next year as I'm growing tired of polishing and just want to enjoy where it's at now!!!

As a side note, I tried some Mothers polish (availiable at most auto centers) last summer just for the heck of it, and it did a good job as well. I may continue to use the Mothers for future maintenance. I'll try it against the Nuvite S soon and check the results of each.
Here are before and after pics. Heck of a difference, but a TON of work.--dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Airstream Before Polish.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	22493   Click image for larger version

Name:	65 Airstream Almost Polished.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	22494  

Old 06-19-2006, 11:09 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
clean up ghost numbers

Yester day I took off the old numbers and cleaned the area to put our new #'s on. Tried mild soap and hot water, nope...tried amonia window cleaner, nope...found a can of BAR KEEPERS FRIEND, yikes! Very easy with warm water and a soft sponge, WoW, Ghost Busters. Obvously not somthing anyone would polish with but for cleaning up old decals and stickers, if your careful, no elbow grease, works well...
Old 06-19-2006, 11:25 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by STREAMTEAM
Yester day I took off the old numbers and cleaned the area to put our new #'s on. Tried mild soap and hot water, nope...tried amonia window cleaner, nope...found a can of BAR KEEPERS FRIEND, yikes! Very easy with warm water and a soft sponge, WoW, Ghost Busters. Obvously not somthing anyone would polish with but for cleaning up old decals and stickers, if your careful, no elbow grease, works well...
Thanks for the tip Streamteam! If you notice in the pics above, I still have to finish getting the ghost numbers off mine! Oddly, the back numbers came off easily, but the front did not. Thanks again, --dave
Old 06-20-2006, 12:52 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
Hello cobra93,

I hear you and I myself put the 3m on the makita buffer and it does work .I invite all ideas as i think we all really do .I didn't run out and buy a cyclo
right off the bat ,expensive ,but in my search for shiny aluiminum ,I believe it serves a purpose in getting that shine ,I still like the "what a shine "by hand
though I must tell you ,lots of work ,faster somtimes when upkeeping the polish .My tradewind is about like streamin65 (NICE JOB) when its kept up
and its time to get after it again . Most of the time its not quite that shiney
but thats ok too ,everyone here ,not a mirror is cool too.Less work .

Scott