Old 09-19-2004, 11:23 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Wappapello , Missouri
Red face Tree sap removal??

Just got back from a 2 week trip to Texas(grandson's 2nd birthday)
Noticed several hard, yellowish deposits up high on the curb side. Still there after washing the trailer. Tried using a wet wash rag and hair dryer to soften the deposits, no luck. Tried a commercial tar and sap remover, no luck.
I'm pretty sure they're tree sap since we were parked under a pine tree for about a week in one campground.
Any suggestions?

2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
WBCCI #2526
wyhjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
I've used black streak remover on cotton wood sap with good results.

John

Old 09-19-2004, 01:10 PM   #3
Creampuff

1957 22' Flying Cloud
1971 31' Sovereign
1976 29' Ambassador
Malibu , California
Turpentine may work.
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 09:07 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Wappapello , Missouri
Tree sap removal (success)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyhjr
Just got back from a 2 week trip to Texas(grandson's 2nd birthday)
Noticed several hard, yellowish deposits up high on the curb side. Still there after washing the trailer. Tried using a wet wash rag and hair dryer to soften the deposits, no luck. Tried a commercial tar and sap remover, no luck.
I'm pretty sure they're tree sap since we were parked under a pine tree for about a week in one campground.
Any suggestions?
Turps took some of it off, but the final answer turned out to be

"3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover"

Next time I notice something like that I won't wait a couple of weeks to attack it.
WBCCI #2526
Old 09-22-2004, 11:31 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Exclamation Bad idea..VERY bad idea!

I don't know about the 3M stuff, but I have heard from several different places that you don't want to use any type of petroleum distilates on the finish of Airstreams with the special Alcoa finish found on coaches produced mid to late 1999 or newer. I would assume that turpentine does have petroleum distillates. The newer Alcoa finish found on mid to late 1999 and newer coaches can be damaged using products like turpentine, gasoline, bug and tar remover, etc.

What works for me, is keeping our '04 Safari Walburnized about 2-3x a year. When sap happens, even after 3-4 days, warm, not hot water and some Armor All Car Wash (diluted) gets rid of 99.9%. Of course, all bets are off if you leave it sit for weeks on end on the sun and it bakes on.

I would however stress that you not use harsh chemicals on the finish. If you did, I would wash the hell out of it, as you will almost certainly ruin that Aloca finish if you haven't already done so.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I have been told that WD-40 will take it off, and does not harm the fininsh. have not tried it though. I keep a good hard coat of sealant on my as well, and when stuff gets on it I can usually get it off with a spray of Meguir's Quck Detailer.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
Our AIRSTREAM and TIN CAN TOURIST Rallys
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2004, 10:21 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1964 24' Tradewind
Big Bear Lake , California
Different Strokes

Hi All,
I live in a forest. The pines this year have been over active. There's sap been spit all over everything. This may not apply to a bunch of you all, but there's an old saying, "leave it along, it'll fall off by itself"!

I let the sap dry out. Once it does, it pops off with a plastic putty knife. When fresh stuff is in the way of a repair effort, Hopps #8 in the spray can will bring that surface clean as a hounds tooth. Works on Vulkum too.

Caveate: My rig is just sitting there under repair and will be for a while. Also the alcad skin on mine may be different than newer vintages. Either of the above treatments have proved effective with no adverse effects.
Ed
Old 09-23-2004, 10:55 AM   #8
Rivet Master

I thought turpentine was a distillate of wood. The smoke / fumes is condnsed when making charcoal which is then distilled into turpentine. Yes, No?
Old 09-23-2004, 12:41 PM   #9
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Per Mr. Webster

Main Entry: 1turĚpenĚtine
Pronunciation: 't&r-p&n-"tIn, 't&r-p&m-
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English terbentyne, turpentyne, from Middle French & Medieval Latin; Middle French terbentine, tourbentine, from Medieval Latin terbentina, from Latin terebinthina, feminine of terebinthinus of terebinth, from terebinthus terebinth, from Greek terebinthos
1 a : a yellow to brown semifluid oleoresin obtained as an exudate from the terebinth b : an oleoresin obtained from various conifers (as some pines and firs)
2 a : an essential oil obtained from turpentines by distillation and used especially as a solvent and thinner -- called also gum turpentine b : a similar oil obtained by distillation or carbonization of pinewood -- called also wood turpentine

i.e., not a petroleum distillate.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:20 PM   #10
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok, I'll take your word for it, but I still would NOT place that stuff on the hull of a new coach. Maybe a vintage, but not at all on a coach made after mid to late 1999. It's not the alum that is the issue, it's the soft coating placed on the skin that can be damaged by harsh chemicals and detergents. We all had a long, long thread just on the right stuff even to clean the outside of a newer coach due to several things that were found in regular car washing formulas that could hurt the finish.

You really think that using turpentine is ok, go right ahead, it ain't my coach, but I'll reserve the right to point out to you when you eventually do post on this forum:

Newer coach with failing exterior

...and need to refinish well before it's time.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:14 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Wappapello , Missouri
Tree sap removal

ST,
Thanks for your insight. I agree that mild methods like warm water applied quickly are certainly the first choices for stain removal. However, in my case, after trying ever increasingly serious methods with no sucess it was time for "drastic measures for drastic times".
I have used "3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner" several times on my vehicles and the Stream with sucess and no apparent damage.
I have to say that the idea of letting the sap thoroughly dry out and then going at it with a plastic scraper makes me shudder.
To each his own!!
WBCCI #2526
Old 09-23-2004, 09:25 PM   #12
Wagon Master

Hi,

There is some stuff here called Magic Houdini ( something likle that ) I use it on the cars ( '76 Landcruiser pick-up, '93 Landcruiser suv, '97 Benz, '04 Infinity G35). It is a citrus based cleaner. It is the only thing I ever use because it works! Not the cheepest stuff but you get what you pay for. I even use it to remove grease and oil stains. There is a sawmill here that buys it in a 45 gallon drum to clean pitch off the saw blades. I get it from a little cleanning supply store here that sells enviro-friendly cleaners. It is the kind of place you and take your oun container and they fill it by weight. I have no idea where the stuff is made I JUST KNOW IT WORKS!!!!! I guess I could mail it too.

Igor
Old 09-24-2004, 07:11 AM   #13
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
Ok, I'll take your word for it, but I still would NOT place that stuff on the hull of a new coach. Maybe a vintage, but not at all on a coach made after mid to late 1999. It's not the alum that is the issue, it's the soft coating placed on the skin that can be damaged by harsh chemicals and detergents. We all had a long, long thread just on the right stuff even to clean the outside of a newer coach due to several things that were found in regular car washing formulas that could hurt the finish.

You really think that using turpentine is ok, go right ahead, it ain't my coach, but I'll reserve the right to point out to you when you eventually do post on this forum:

Newer coach with failing exterior

...and need to refinish well before it's time.
I was replying to Tinsel Loaf. I agree it is too strong to use on anything with a finish, like a painted finish, etc. Afterall, it has been used for decades as a paint thinner for oil based paint and used in paint removers and strippers. It is also something you don't want to get on your skin. Never tried it on bare aluminum but I suspect it would have a caustic reaction on any bare metal, too.
Old 09-24-2004, 08:15 AM   #14
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We live in the mountains, where we cut our own firewood, among other things. Doing that work, I always wind up with tree sap on my hands and arms. Soap won't cut it. Paint thinner will, but I'm not that wild about rubbing my arms with thinner on a daily basis. What does work, though, is just plain rubbing alcohol. I guess it might also work on (coated) metal.

Lynn