Old 06-21-2005, 10:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
Thumbs up Old post but new problem to me

I have read the posts on tree sap but am still confused as to what to use that would be safe on my 1995.

I am working as a Workamper in southern Colorado and parked under pine trees. I can take my car to a car wash but it is such a job to unhook and store everything to take the AS.

Can anyone tell me for sure what I can use on the top and the window rock guards? I am afraid to use anything for fear I will ruin the finish. My clear coat is showing wear on the upper edges so I am sure the top is not in to good a condition.

Also, since it is up to me to do this job, I hope there is some product I can use that does not need to much elbow grease since I will be on a ladder. I am a bit spooked when I think about doing anything to the finish on the AS. I polished my 2004 Suburban but no one ever told me not to put polish on the plastic trim; consequently all my trim looks weird. Will not come off so there I am!

I am also concerned about my awning, but that I will worry about anothere day.

TNSue

Old 06-21-2005, 11:17 AM   #16
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Kerosene. Very cheap and very readily available. Don't scrub your trailer with it, just use it on the problem spots, then wash it away with Dawn dish soap.

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsue
I polished my 2004 Suburban but no one ever told me not to put polish on the plastic trim; consequently all my trim looks weird. Will not come off so there I am!TNSue
For the plastic trim on the 'burb, try Super Clean, mixed 50/50 with water, and a small (toothbrush or slightly larger) scub brush to get into the little patterns. I use this method when I get wax on my plastic trim on my van.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:29 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1995 28' Excella
Crossville , Middle TN
Send a message via Yahoo to tnsue
Burb trim

Terry, thanks for the Burb trim idea.

Now, hate to say but what is Super Clean. I am not sure I have seen it, or if I have, do not remember it.

I am out in the mountains but there is a Wal-Mart, what else, in Durango I could go to.

Rog, I will see if I can round up some kerosene here at the park and try some. Thanks for the idea.

TNSue
aka Travelinsue
Old 06-21-2005, 01:37 PM   #19
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnsue
Terry, thanks for the Burb trim idea.

Now, hate to say but what is Super Clean. I am not sure I have seen it, or if I have, do not remember it.

I am out in the mountains but there is a Wal-Mart, what else, in Durango I could go to.
TNSue
aka Travelinsue
Super Clean is a purple-colored cleaner made by Castrol. Generic versions of the stuff are called Purple Stuff, Purple Power, and I once saw a product called Super Purple. All virtually the same stuff, just different enough to avoid patent lawsuits.
Any DIY-oriented auto parts store should carry it.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:56 PM   #20
Arr, we captain our ship!

Currently Looking...
Santa Fe , New Mexico
My '04 22' CCD (when new) had warning stickers and labels all over the interior; on the range hood, back wall behind the sink, etc.

I called A/S customer and/or technical support and was told to use common "mineral spirits" on adhesives, etc., which I did, to fine success. They assured me that it would do no harm to the finish. I believe the CCD interior walls use the same coating as the exterior.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:57 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

1986 34' Limited
South Lake Tahoe , California
We had a similar problem on a car; it took a hot pressure washer to get it off. You have to be very careful though to keep the washer moving otherwise it could lift the finish. But we did find that using a wash and carnubal wax soap kept the pitch from sticking to our truck; it just washed off slick as can be. Ernie
Old 06-23-2005, 06:36 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
You ain't gonna believe this.

Try vegetable oil on your sap stains. I've used it successfully on chewing gum, a wide variety of adhesives, and even on bugs. Most adhesives will release immediately and completely. For more stubborn stuff, apply generously (slap a soaked paper towel on the gunk), go drink a beer, then try to remove.

I usually use a corn oil, but I'm betting whatever you have in your kitchen will also work. Crisco would probably work too, but I haven't tried it.

Tin Lizzie

Oh, and for ballpoint ink stains in washable fabrics, soak the stain with cheap hairspray, rub briefly, then hit with full strength dish detergent and rub while rinsing in cool water. Repeat if necessary. I've even gotten it off vinyl furniture with this method, but it probably damages the vinyl somewhat. Leather - NO!
Old 07-07-2005, 05:06 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hey, It Really Works!

Hi Paula,

I just returned from a week of camping in the Alleghenny Mountains and collected some pine sap on my Airstream. Upon returning, I found this thread with your advice for using vegatable oil on the stucky stuff.

I used Crisco and it came right off. Great tip!!!

Thanks.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2005, 05:12 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

WD-40 gets rid of pine sap like magic, and it certainly won't harm your finish. Works well on most adhesives left behind by decals too. P.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:26 PM   #25
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
Bringing a 12 year old thread back to life.

We camped under a large Douglas Fir late last year. Much to my dismay, I forgot about some pitch that was on the awning cover and trailer skin. It was dried on and didn't want to come off easily. Bug and Tar spray didn't work, neither did kerosene or WD 40. My dealer recommended hot water and lots of elbow grease... fail...

What did work was isopropyl alcohol, followed by vegetable oil. The alcohol cut through the dried pitch, but spread the pitch that wasn't picked up by the soft cloth. I then used vegetable oil over the larger area, and it appeared to pick up the pitch that was spread around.

Lesson learned, don't let that stuff dry out! Remove it as soon as you can.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:33 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Greenwood Village , Colorado
Go to griotsgarage.com and order a clay bar and speed shine and it comes off very easy. Also get some good micro fiber towels
Old 05-07-2016, 12:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Wow - just saw what was probably post #5 from me. Here's another oldie but goodie. To get chewing gum out of a child's hair use peanut butter. Just rub it in, wait, wipe out as much as you can, and finish with a good shampooing.

It's probably the peanut OIL in the peanut butter that does the trick. Not that different from Crisco on sap. Which I just learned is a good way to keep the gasket in the toilet functioning. (In the spirit of OSHA - adding the obvious warning: DO NOT DOUBLE DIP - get a tablespoon, put some Crisco on a paper towel, put the can away, treat the problem... throw the excess out!).
Old 05-07-2016, 04:16 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I use Citrol [Schaeffers #266] in specific areas but would have to know about AS coating. I've used on automotive finish with no problem (where Castrol Super Clean will fade paint at full strength).

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote