Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Lexington , Kentucky
I found Glare under the Honda brand name on the internet a while back and it was much less expensive. Just google 'Glare" or 'Honda Glare' and you should be able to find several sources.

Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Can't compare with other products as I have only used walbernize - I typically wax the trailer at least once, but often twice a year. Since we keep the trailer in a storage yard, I usually do it when we are way camping with the trailer - although my wife isn't thrilled abut me doing that!

I generally do it over a few days, taking an hour or two at it after breakfast before we go out someplace for the day, so she doesn't get too ticked off t me "wasting a day" as she puts it!!

Walbernize seems to work well IMHO. I try do do out out of direct sun, but what I particularly like is that even when I do it is the sun, it is easy to buff it to a nice shine - No big struggle to remove baked on white residue. I just use microfibre towels.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 12:03 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
LaVale , Maryland
Is there a difference between the two regarding the age of the AS, as we haven't got round to waxing '75 Shiny Beast yet. We will be ready next week and while will not be mirror polishing we would like it to look good for the max time between coats, after all we want to camp and not constantly maintaining.
Old 05-04-2015, 12:44 AM   #18
"Space A" S/O Registry 11

2006 34' Classic S/O
Fort Worth , Texas
I have used Walbernize for many years. I have found that if is sprayed on a small area from a generic spray bottle, then buffed with microfiber rags, it will shine up very nicely. It only takes about a quarter of a bottle to do my 34' Classic. The rags wash up in a washing machine just like new. Be sure and keep the Walbernize shaken up because it settles out fast. I accidentally spilled some on an outdoor black iron table and it took two years to wear off. I never could get it to scrub off. I imagine the Airstream stays well protected too.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Have I already ruined my trailer by using Meguiar's Instant Detailer on it? I got started using Meguiar's on my car and motorcycle. I have never really officially applied a hard past wax to the trailer like Turtle Wax like I put on the truck, but I have used a soft wax like Formula 2000. Have I made a major blunder? I was just using what I had on hand at a campsite on a just right (not too hot, not too cold) day in September. I also had a little free time- a rare and precious commodity. The campground was too far from anywhere to go exploring. Most of the car detailing supplies I use either come in the form of gifts from the wife and kids at Christmas or Father's Day or I buy them as needed (car or bike show in a couple of hours) at Advance or Walmart. I have ordered tire shine in bulk from Amazon because of the price at retail stores.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 08:47 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I washed tincan yesrerday using concentrated turtle wax lig. soap. yes I mixed with water. I have did this way for yrs. also using another brand combo soap And wax. I some times a wax using liq. turtle wax, or if have another brand on hand will use it. My AS is 39 yrs. old still nice and shiny except where sun burned. Many people remark about shine and age Of trailer. No these products have ever hurt or degraded clear coat. I apply wax out of sun wipe soon as dries, leave to long bugger to wipe off. The roof to far gone with sun burn, so it does not get polished.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:01 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I have no shade at my house to wax my AS. How does everyone find enough shade to spend several hours waxing? I suppose I could wax the side not exposed to the sun in the morning and then wait until the late afternoon to hit the other side. I guess the same issue washing it.

Do you guys wax the white roof also?

Kelvin
Old 05-04-2015, 09:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
When I washed yesterday was overcast if sunny do one side off sun side then other when sun changes sides, same way to wax but not if metal hot. I don't no about white roof as AS later yrs. but if I get enough nerve will paint roof w/white bus coat as every thing I researched very good product and easier to apply than automotive paints, plus not supposed to streak or other prob. of other coatings. Also I can wax but not roof less than 1/2 hr. by hand, and AS is adv. 31 ft. I only wax up to awning rails front and back up to roof panels. But I only wash if overcast.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:37 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Vancouver , Washington
I've used Meguiar's wash and wax on our AS since it was new (purchased it new in 2001). I wash it before/after each trip and I wax it at least once every year. It's been stored under cover or indoors for it's entire life. These products are made for autos with clear coat and worked great for me. Another benefit is that they're available just about anywhere at reasonable costs.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:43 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I really like Walbernize. The finish is really good, and it's easy to use. I put it on with an oscillating car polisher and cotton bonnets. Take off with a wool bonnet, and touch up by hand. I'll do it twice a year, and get six applications on my 19' out of a bottle.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:52 AM   #25
'78 Sovereign

1978 31' Sovereign
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I hate waxing my truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Foster View Post
I hate waxing my truck, not that eager to "wax" my 30 footer.
I would rather play ball with my Granddaughter than wax my truck😎
Old 05-04-2015, 11:02 AM   #26

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Do you guys wax the white roof also?

Kelvin
If you store outside, like most folks do, it is advisable. My 2001 spent the first 3 years outside when I owned it. I used to Walbernize the silver parts twice a year, spring and fall. Not the white roof. During year three I did notice that the white painted roof had begun to chalk. Not badly but it was showing up as a slight residue that would show when I washed the trailer. Since I store the Classic inside, I haven't Walbernized for some time now. Probably this year will do. Roof is still clean and slick since there isn't that constant UV exposure that outside storage brings.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
I don't wax the white roof, but I do give it a good scrub in the spring (from a ladder) to wash off the chalky residue that develops. That takes care of the streaking down the sides from the chalking, for the season. I guess, at some point, it will need recoating with something.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #28
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert claus View Post
I don't wax the white roof, but I do give it a good scrub in the spring (from a ladder) to wash off the chalky residue that develops. That takes care of the streaking down the sides from the chalking, for the season. I guess, at some point, it will need recoating with something.

Try a product called "BusKote" or "Bus Coat". It's what the tops of school busses are painted with. Have used it on my Airstreams and my Foretravel when I had a MoHo. Insulates a little, reflects and completely stopped streaking. Just clean the roof and use a roller to apply.