Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Cleaning, Stripping & Polishing
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2016, 10:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
Tips on removing silicone and caulking?

Hello! My husband and I recently acquired a 1963 Tradewind, and a PO put loads of caulking and silicone and who knows what else around all of the seams in hopes to prevent leaks I'm sure. We are doing a renovation that includes removing the interior skins so we plan on waterproofing from the inside. I would like to remove all of the gross looking stuff that is on there now, but haven't found a great product. I have been attempting to scrape it off with plastic scrapers, then have tried using Goo Gone, Goof Off, and McKanica silicone remover. The products may help a little, but it's far from easy, and I am wondering if anybody has any tips that will make the job easier and faster??
kmtanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
Have you tried lacquer thinner?
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
No, but thank you for the suggestion! Will try that one next. Do you have any experience working with it? Will it be ok on the aluminum?
Old 09-07-2016, 03:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
If it is actually silicone, I used a ton of the silicone remover from Vintage Trailer Supply on mine. Has to sit a while to penetrate and takes multiple applications for thicker areas, but it works well.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 06:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
WD-40 actually works pretty darn well to remove silicone.
Spray it on, let it sit for a bit, scrapes right off.
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:39 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Oak Creek , Colorado
I'm going to try the WD40 . It's about the only thing I haven't tried.
Thank you!
Dingo Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:21 AM   #7
Jeff I

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1964 22' Safari
Hammondsport , New York
silicone removal

The key is the solvent needs time to penetrate. Colin Hyde suggested a rag soaked in mineral spirits (paint thinner) and let it lay on the silicone for a while. It worked.
J Ingersoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Hahira , Georgia
I don't think you can buy solvents in CA anymore, from a previous post.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I used lacquer thinner on my Argosy but of course it is painted. Can't imagine it would damage aluminum.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:10 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1982 31' Excella
Missoula , Montana
You probably know this but do not use silicone aluminum.
Vernbots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 01:12 PM   #11
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmtanner View Post
Hello! My husband and I recently acquired a 1963 Tradewind, and a PO put loads of caulking and silicone and who knows what else around all of the seams in hopes to prevent leaks I'm sure. We are doing a renovation that includes removing the interior skins so we plan on waterproofing from the inside. I would like to remove all of the gross looking stuff that is on there now, but haven't found a great product. I have been attempting to scrape it off with plastic scrapers, then have tried using Goo Gone, Goof Off, and McKanica silicone remover. The products may help a little, but it's far from easy, and I am wondering if anybody has any tips that will make the job easier and faster??
Depends on the situation. Here's what I do.

1) particularly where large deposits of silicone are involved, I use a razor knife (the style used by window cleaners) to cut away as much as possible. Care must be taken to avoid damaging your skin or the aluminum.

2) Next I use a heat gun combined with a wood scraper (such as a paint stir stick). Care must be taken to avoid burning your skin, setting the trailer or garage on fire, and breathing any toxic fumes that may be emitted by the hot caulk. I keep a fire extinguisher close at hand for this step but haven't had to use it. Typically the vast bulk of the caulk can be removed this way.

3) Finally any suitable chemical means can be employed. I have found that the silicone remover products work well on the thin film now remaining (but not much more), and some types of caulk can be removed with other solvents.

4) In extreme cases where the surface will not be visible (like the roof or portions of panels that will be covered by a molding), an abrasive pad mounted in a die grinder can be used. Care must be taken not to remove any aluminum.

5) Sometimes it is necessary to go through all the steps a second time.
Old 09-07-2016, 04:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
2008 F350, 6.4L diesel , Oak Harbor, WA
I use a razor blade, and draw-it at about a 15 degree angle, cutting away most of it. The rest will come off much quicker.

Lately I have found a product that is a plastic abrasive wheel, built just like a rotary wire wheel that won't hurt finish or the aluminum. You do need to watch what they are doing. Even scratches can be removed by using these wheels and then switching to different coarseness of steel wool (00 then 000). It all takes a little experimentation.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

Reno , Nevada
These are great suggestions, thank you! While this hasn't been the most time consuming project thus far, it has been the LEAST rewarding using the methods I've tried.

There are several different products that the PO used. Some are silicone, some are regular caulking, and I think there is even hot glue in one spot...

@TheGreatleys, I tried the McKanica silicone remover from Vintage trailer supply in one spot, but reading more about it, maybe I need to let it sit over night and cover it with plastic wrap. I'll try again.

Thanks again everybody! I am eager to get the outside cleaned ups that we can start the polishing process!