Old 07-10-2016, 02:16 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 22
Eugene , Oregon
Can you order it from Amazon? I got paint from Amazon that wasn't able to be sold here in Oregon.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:49 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
Change is hard for some people.

No mineral spirits in Utah either.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:57 PM   #17
Stay CazuaL

2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
Just pissed, went to my local hardware store today to find that we can no longer buy mineral spirits here in California!
I need to find another source of another product to help clean during polishing steps!
Don't kill me for asking. Why do you need it? And what do you do with it?
"Sweat is your fat crying"
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #18
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
Mineral spirits is used to clean the black smears off the aluminum after polishing.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Mineral spirits has gotten so expensive in Colorado that I use paint thinner when I need to clean brushes or remove oils (paint, polyurethane, etc.). As for methanol, it is also called natural gas and since it is hard to keep the temperature low enough for the liquid state, I doubt it has been used in washer fluid.

Acetone is more potent than mineral spirits and it will not only take off grease, etc., from your Airstream, it will also take off the clear coat if you leave it on very long or rub very hard. I have used it, but am careful.

There are many solvents of varying strengths. I start with rubbing alcohol or WD 40, and then go up to nuking things (sure gets off the dirt).

Several political posts above, a no-no on the Forum. I expect a mod will notice eventually.

Gene
Old 07-10-2016, 07:41 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

1974 25' Tradewind
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
As for methanol, it is also called natural gas and since it is hard to keep the temperature low enough for the liquid state, I doubt it has been used in washer fluid.
You're thinking of methane, which is the primary constituent of natural gas.

Methanol is the alcoholized form of methane, and it is a liquid at room temperature. It's also called "methyl alcohol" and the water-diluted form is called "methyl hydrate", which is commonly available in home improvement stores.

Methanol is used as the base component for model airplane engine fuel, it's available mixed with gasoline in ratios up to 85% for use in car engines (with suitable adaptation for the fuel flow rate required, and the corrosiveness of methanol) and it's also the primary constituent of windshield washer fluid as an antifreeze. In Canada, windshield washer fluid usually has enough methanol to be rated to -40F / -40C.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:52 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieschooner View Post
The crazy thing is I can still get Lacquer Thinner & Acetone, who'd a thunk!
That's really scary. Both those things are really health hazardous. Varsol is basically a light grade of petroleum distillates ( i.e diesel/furnace oil without the smelly stuff). Esso originally made it to substitute for the really flammable nature of Turpentine. It has the same 'flash point' as diesel fuel.

Here in Ontario we cannot purchase concentrated Round-up or any form of 2-4D weed killer, or anything strong enough to treat bugs in the lawn. So we all go to Michigan and stock up on the good stuff. My move on being denied Varsol would be to go to the nearest state and buy enough to last a year or two.
JCW
Old 07-10-2016, 08:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumineer View Post
Methanol is used as the base component for model airplane engine fuel, it's available mixed with gasoline in ratios up to 85% for use in car engines (with suitable adaptation for the fuel flow rate required, and the corrosiveness of methanol) and it's also the primary constituent of windshield washer fluid as an antifreeze. In Canada, windshield washer fluid usually has enough methanol to be rated to -40F / -40C.
I use to make windshield washer fluid in our chemical plant. The best stuff actually uses Isopropyl Alcohol. Methanol tends to smear and leave a film of water that freezes on the window glass. There is a balance between the two alcohols for cheaper grades. Neither form of alcohol will do the same as Varsol or paint thinner.
JCW
Old 07-10-2016, 09:01 PM   #23
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Colin Hyde swears by flour. Cheap and will remove the black residue! And as far as I know is not considered toxic YET! But def not for gluten free people
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 10:28 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1980 24' Caravelle
vallejo , California
they're at it again

Welcome to the people's republic of california, the state where you can't do a bleep thing. Still stuck here for forseable future.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
They Are At It Again!

Sympathy. I do understand.

We won't talk about antenna restrictions, either.

That's why primary Shack is the AS.

And I have a very nice flagpole grounded to the back fence that works equally badly in all directions. 😀😀

KE4GNK.

Sent from my pocket Internet using Airstream Forums
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:31 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1958 18' "Footer"
Idyllwild , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by cazual6 View Post
I am polishing my '58 Traveler and I have been using mineral spirits to clean between polishing grades. I don't want to use anything more harsh that may degrade any sealants in place.
I sometimes do varnish work (but not for my Traveler) and have always used mineral spirits to clean my brushes, I have some brushes that are decades old. These were expensive back then and are "old friends" ...after I clean them I work some motor oil into the bristles to keep them from drying out, then wrap them in aluminum foil to help them keep their shape and then seal them in a baggie before putting them into the freezer. When needed I let them thaw & then clean again with mineral spirits.
WD 40 works well for most things but I Want My Mineral Spirits!
1958 California Built 18' #18-4092
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f106...on-122678.html
prairieschooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #27
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Havent things gotten so tough in California thay have also banned water?
Old 07-11-2016, 08:47 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
Victoria , British Columbia
Back in the day turpentine was the solvent of choice before paint thinners . Go to a Art Supply store , they probably sell by the liter or Quart.